Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AP YYZ-YVR: Maximizing chances of lie-flat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

I may need to change the last leg of a flight on a C1-C2 J class flight reward with AP. Right now, that leg is booked on a lie-flat. The alternate date/time of the last leg is flexible, roughly between Sunday, Nov. 15 and Sunday, Nov. 22. The problem is I have a really bad lower back and sitting in Y for five-ish hours is not only painful but risky in terms of re-injury.

I have access to Expert Flyer. If anyone could give me some advice on how to choose the flight with the greatest chance of ending up with a lie-flat in J on either the 777 or 787, that would be greatly appreciated - for example, I'm guessing Wednesday evenings aren't as booked as Sunday night or Monday morning...?

I have no preference in terms of day or time, though avoiding a red-eye would be preferable. Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
The only 100% chance is a tag on domestic/international flight like 33

So if you want 100%, I would go with that. Even if they sub it down, they usually swap it to a 763
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcohen999
The only 100% chance is a tag on domestic/international flight like 33
So if you want 100%, I would go with that. Even if they sub it down, they usually swap it to a 763
Thanks. If you mean YVR-SYD, I don't have enough points to tack that on. I should clarify I'm not looking for a 100% guarantee of lie-flat, but how to optimize my chances of getting one. I'm guessing some of those wide-body flights are consistently carrying fewer people in J -- I'm just not sure how to confirm that information.

Can a person access historical loads for a given flight at a given time of year?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
AC33 starts in YYZ and is a domestic YYZ-YVR flight before it goes to SYD
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by lcohen999
AC33 starts in YYZ and is a domestic YYZ-YVR flight before it goes to SYD
This is prob your best chance, however it's generally a more challenging route to get upgraded let alone Aeroplan redemption on. There's usually a 777 flight in the morning from YYZ as well.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Lately 33/34 have had lots of room in J when I've been flying. I took one a week ago and J went out half empty.

Now 788/789 never have room in J... At least not for R upgrades. If you want 788/789 J it seems you have to buy it or, at least latitude.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Lately 33/34 have had lots of room in J when I've been flying. I took one a week ago and J went out half empty.

Now 788/789 never have room in J... At least not for R upgrades. If you want 788/789 J it seems you have to buy it or, at least latitude.
Sent the Mrs. YYZ-YVR in J on a 788, on aeroplan, just last week.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:48 pm

There are two morning wide bodies. Both these continue to Asia.
103 & 153.
That week 103 is a 789 and 153 is the slave ship.
24J & 36J. Both with a PY cabin.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Nitehawk

Booked AC149 (788) as a J award for mid-November just two week's ago. Award space can still be found on widebody transcons. Upgrades may be harder to come by close to flight date.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all the replies, particularly the suggestion of aiming for the domestic segment of an international flight. I'm still wondering, however, if there's a day of the week or time of the day that's less likely to be full (weekend vs weekday, am/pm/red eye, etc). Any advice on that point is much appreciated. I will likely have to book in Y and hope a J seat is available when I fly.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Genouver
Thanks to all the replies, particularly the suggestion of aiming for the domestic segment of an international flight. I'm still wondering, however, if there's a day of the week or time of the day that's less likely to be full (weekend vs weekday, am/pm/red eye, etc). Any advice on that point is much appreciated. I will likely have to book in Y and hope a J seat is available when I fly.
Unless your ticket is originating somewhere else (so you're charged J miles) you can't just upgrade an AE award to grab an empty J seat at the airport. You can book Y and monitor the I bucket though and if anything opens up before your departure and call AE to upgrade it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.