Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AQS or AQM - How do you obtain status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond

After reading the enhancements for 2016 prediction thread I'm curious as to who qualifies on segments versus miles here on FT/AC forum?

I'm a few segments away from SE this year as I stopped travelling in July. I'll finish the year with just under 100 segments and around 60k AQM, pretty much the same as the last three years.

Most likely my last year as a SE as well as work has changed for me pretty suddenly as I had the floor fall out from under at the end of summer. Contemplating a shift in industry at the moment and an opportunity came up that is travel industry related that I may jump on...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Last year I qualified on segments as I had nowhere near 75k miles. This year I'll be dropping to E50 with around 60 segments and 60k miles. If not for a couple transoceanic trips, I'd probably be hitting E50 the hard way with ~50 segments and less than 25k miles.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Miles not segments. Last two years I've made E75 by way of an Asia-Pac/Australia trip in J. Not likely to have that trip this year so struggling to achieve E50k on my normal TATL run. (YYT-LHR so not many miles!). Just made E35k. Contemplating mileage runs by travelling to LHR via YYZ for upcoming trips. That will pain me mightily but I do want to get E50 for *G and lounge access.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: AC:50K
As soon as my flights from Monday post I'll hit 52k AQM; but only 17 AQS. My flying this year has been one YVR-YOW round trip and three YVR-Europe round trips.

(Seated in J cabin on every flight; ticketed with a combination of P and insta-eupgraded Y/B. Total spend around $11k.)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:36 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

It was impossible to qualify on segments when my average segment length was over 7000 miles.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Miles. Hit 100k this year with 35 segments. Currently on 175k with 55 segments.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
AQM. I usually cross 100K with ~55 AQS.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:35 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Short-haul commuter, plus some trans-pac. For each of the last five or six years (with one exception) I have qualified with both miles and segments. With the enhancements this year, I expect to qualify on segments with only around 60K miles. My spend has fallen dramatically since I always book tango if available and, now that I know I will hit 95 AQS, I just take the cheapest available routing, which often isn't AC. I guess I'm not typical, but the effect of the enhancements this year has been to cut the money in AC's pocket in half.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:09 am
alc

Being a business traveler within only Canada, and company do book me on Tango fare when Flex >$100 over Tango, the only way I can status is via segments. This year was a little easier as I already did EYW where that come with 63 segments. Current target to get exactly 100 AQS during first week in Nov, so my Threshold eUp will have exp in 2017.

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
.....Just made E35k. Contemplating mileage runs by travelling to LHR via YYZ for upcoming trips. That will pain me mightily but I do want to get E50 for *G and lounge access.
Just do a status match to TK*G with your current E75K status, then you will get *G for 2 years while you are still at E35K next year.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
I have qualified every year since the program started by miles. I usually fly 90 to 110 segments per year.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:07 am

Location: either in Salishaan, or at an isolated colliery in the Canadian northland
Programs: AC P75: previously, quintuple secret pterodactyl wings, every year
Originally Posted by SYM
Short-haul commuter, plus some trans-pac. For each of the last five or six years (with one exception) I have qualified with both miles and segments.
As the estimable SYM does, I also requal by miles and segs, altho' this year it'll be a squeaker for miles, and I've already requalled by segs.

Most of the miles are long-haul, where travel policy allows for sleeping in J. Most of the segs, alas, are bouncing around from short-strip to short-strip on ye olde Dash, in various places in northern and western Canada (let's see, Falling Rock, Trucks Turning, Avalanche Zone.....)

/mevlannen
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both,almost always
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
This is my first full year of flying. Most of my trips are short hauls between YVR to YYC/YEG. I've obtained my status through segments. I should be able to achieve 95 segments by the end of the year.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Last year I did both, but this year, I switched to using my miles for almost all my flights after EYW.

So it'll just be segments this year.

Had they kept the minimum at 500 miles I think I'd actually be pretty close to 100k AQM.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by alc
Being a business traveler within only Canada, and company do book me on Tango fare when Flex >$100 over Tango, the only way I can status is via segments. This year was a little easier as I already did EYW where that come with 63 segments. Current target to get exactly 100 AQS during first week in Nov, so my Threshold eUp will have exp in 2017.

Just do a status match to TK*G with your current E75K status, then you will get *G for 2 years while you are still at E35K next year.
Shouldn't you be targeting 95 segments to cross at that date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.