Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rouge killer? The new CP?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Or improve the product or the loyalty program. Or both.
trust me, I want the loyalty program to improve as much as the next guy (or actually probably a lot more). But WestJet isn't exactly known for their loyalty program, so sadly I don't think that's a factor here.

I will agree, that the quality of the product is!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
[QUOTE=The Lev;25445037]Remember AC used to do this with 767 - requires a refueling stop in HNL.

Personally you couldn't pay me enough to go back to doing that vs. non-stop.
QUOTE]

I think you live in Ontario, so you would have flown CP nonstop to HNL on a 767, and made a connection there to go to AKL/SYD/MEL or I think Fiji?

So not sure why we couldn't pay you enough to make the same 1 stop flight, unless you have been denied Nexus?

So with AC poor planning ending CP hub in HNL, now if you didn't want to go to SYD your routing is far worse.
Also flying to HNL from Ontario is much worse, now AC gave up the pacific. So for the vast % of Ontario flyers AC arrangement sucks.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:37 pm

[QUOTE=flybit;25447665]
Originally Posted by The Lev
Remember AC used to do this with 767 - requires a refueling stop in HNL.

Personally you couldn't pay me enough to go back to doing that vs. non-stop.
QUOTE]

I think you live in Ontario, so you would have flown CP nonstop to HNL on a 767, and made a connection there to go to AKL/SYD/MEL or I think Fiji?

So not sure why we couldn't pay you enough to make the same 1 stop flight, unless you have been denied Nexus?

So with AC poor planning ending CP hub in HNL, now if you didn't want to go to SYD your routing is far worse.
Also flying to HNL from Ontario is much worse, now AC gave up the pacific. So for the vast % of Ontario flyers AC arrangement sucks.
for an airline that is just starting out with INTL there is nothing wrong with doing a stop.

Also they could market it as a direct flight like WestJet does with YVR - YYZ and then give you a surprise stop in kelowna!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
trust me, I want the loyalty program to improve as much as the next guy (or actually probably a lot more). But WestJet isn't exactly known for their loyalty program, so sadly I don't think that's a factor here.

I will agree, that the quality of the product is!
I recall when AC used to offer Double EQM on PD routes. Doesn't cost much to start that up again!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by flybit

Actually I used to have to fly YYZ-YVR-HNL-SYD (and then often SYD-BNE). I also have NEXUS. At the time I was doing the flights there was no YYZ-HNL flight, so I was stuck with three segments, none of which was really long enough to get a good sleep.

If WS were to fly YYZ-HNL and HNL-SYD, that might be interesting depending on flight times - but frankly that's likely many years away (if ever). By that time WS would likely have switched to 787's like AC and could do YVR-SYD non-stop.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
[QUOTE=Sean Peever;25447673]
Originally Posted by flybit

for an airline that is just starting out with INTL there is nothing wrong with doing a stop.

Also they could market it as a direct flight like WestJet does with YVR - YYZ and then give you a surprise stop in kelowna!
Ohhhh free wine tasting in YLW!
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
There is no doubt the 767's are going to cut into AC and ACr loads, profits and routes. And AC is going to have to be aggressive early on to keep them out - short term loss for a long term gain.
I don't think Westjets 4 767 are going to effect AC's loads, profits and routes. It sounds like Westjet plains to run their 767 hard over the summer and when aircraft problems come up, Westjets routes will be effected a lot.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:19 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Dorian, I'm confused. WS is taking delivery of 767-300ERs. Rouge flies 767-300ERs, so no savings there on plane cost/fuel burn. If it wants to match like-for-like, AC can just throw Rouge 763s up against WS, like it's doing on YYC-LGW.

Fuel is the biggest single expense for airlines, even with lower oil prices. It's a much larger expense than aircraft rent/depreciation.

So it's quite possible that a 787 is competitive with a 767 because the higher purchase price (which will be amortised over many years of remaining life, whereas the 767s don't have much left in them) will be offset by lower fuel burn.

I would also guess that the maintenance expense starts to pile up on these old 767s as things just start to wear out and fall apart.

So I don't necessarily see WS having much of a cost advantage over AC just because of old, cheap 763s.

Also, for what it's worth, the 763 doesn't have the range to do YVR-SYD without a stop (roughly: YVR-SYD 12,500 km, 763 range 11,000 km).

For more than 15 years one of the constants of this forum have been the claims that:

a) WestJet would never offer IFE, fly outside of North America, use anything but ancient, inefficient 737s, offer any sort of boarding priority, offer any sort of FF plan, offer any sort of premium flight experience, offer lounge access, interline or or or...
b) each new initiative undertaken by WS was a huge mistake that would jeopardize their future or even their very existence,
c) they'd never make it (whatever it was) work,
d) and so on.

Yet in almost every quarter they continue to show real profits, pay dividends, grow slowly but steadily and operate at least as smoothly and reliably as any major carrier.

Betting against them doesn't seem particularly wise.

Last edited by KenHamer; Sep 19, 2015 at 4:26 am
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KenHamer
For more than 15 years one of the constants of this forum have been the claims that:
Its interesting its just a few verbal ones that seem to think West Jet wont make it. Each year a few new ones start to post on FT then go away.
Funny the new naysayers say west jet will be running its planes to hard.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I don't think Westjets 4 767 are going to effect AC's loads, profits and routes. It sounds like Westjet plains to run their 767 hard over the summer and when aircraft problems come up, Westjets routes will be effected a lot.
You're right, just 4 planes themselves won't have a earth shattering impact on AC. But I can guarantee you that just 4 planes is not WestJet's end goal either. This is proof of concept for them, and if they do prove the concept (and more important the profitability) then they will start to expand into AC's current routes.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:16 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by KenHamer

Yet in almost every quarter they continue to show real profits, pay dividends, grow slowly but steadily and operate at least as smoothly and reliably as any major carrier.

I'm not betting against them, just exploring some of the challenges they'll be up against.

They're very slow and deliberate in everything they do, studying things closely before making any moves to minimise the risk.

I actually think they're more likely than not to succeed, and even if Europe doesn't work out, they may be able to use the 767s within their existing network, or they can just cancel the leases or sub-lease them back out to someone else without a big penalty.

If it does work, I expect that they'll continue to move slowly, gradually adding a few destinations in Europe, before they try to go to Asia.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Lev
Actually I used to have to fly YYZ-YVR-HNL-SYD (and then often SYD-BNE). I also have NEXUS. At the time I was doing the flights there was no YYZ-HNL flight, so I was stuck with three segments, none of which was really long enough to get a good sleep.

If WS were to fly YYZ-HNL and HNL-SYD, that might be interesting depending on flight times - but frankly that's likely many years away (if ever). By that time WS would likely have switched to 787's like AC and could do YVR-SYD non-stop.
AC continued the HNL hub of CP for a couple of years before management ruined the business and had to give it up. I flew one of the last 767 flights with AC from YYZ-HNL-SYD, and as was normal for AC in those days the flight was 10 hrs late, and nobody cared.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
Via YUL?? really? Another connection and on a 319 and MTL in the winter? I don't think so. lol Besides with AC's history they will rouge it when they have the equipment I think... unless there is another reason they haven't already.

I have always overnighted at YYZ for the next morning cnx to BGI. Adding a stop at YUL is no big deal A J A319 mainline is better than a J Rouge 763.
I have yet to see a Rouge flight to YUL when at BGI, although it could have happened
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by acysb87
A J A319 mainline is better than a J Rouge 763.
Really?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
Westjet has announced a handful of LGW routes has stated it is looking at Asia.

With rouge limited to 50 planes, Westjet could begin eating in to AC's lunch.
Remember reading here TS was going to eat AC/ACr's lunch a couple years ago. LOL. Exactly, How many lunches does AC have to lose to all these formidable copetitors?
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Or improve the product or the loyalty program. Or both.
Or neither while focusing on keeping costs as low as possible to protect margins while chasing price sensitive passengers

Lots of cheap TATL flying ahead exCanada ... Which airline is best equipped to deal with that? Sure ain't TS. And it's not WS.
Betting against AC/ACr is not sharp money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.