Search

2003 Elite upgrade benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2002, 6:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
2003 Elite upgrade benefits

Just spoke with Aeroplan in London who have confirmed that for 2003, Elite will be able to upgrade as follows:

North America
Y, M: 7 days before travel
B, H, V: 4 days before travel

Transatlantic
Y only: 7 days before travel

Forgot to ask about Asia, but suspect it will be Y, M at 7 days
Old Dec 6, 2002, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for posting this for us Elites.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 6:42 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Then I fail to see what everyone is getting so excited about as, from my point of view, nothing has changed: Y only from Europe.

OK, with a 7 day window, but still...if I was cynical I would say they will just put C0 8 days before
Old Dec 6, 2002, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by newbie elite:
Then I fail to see what everyone is getting so excited about as, from my point of view, nothing has changed: Y only from Europe.

OK, with a 7 day window, but still...if I was cynical I would say they will just put C0 8 days before
</font>
Bingo....give that person a cigar ! Right on the money. It is still back into the lottery
game.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 8:35 am

I see where this info was posted by the Editors on www.errorplan.com earlier in the morning.

Here in ZipLand it doesn't amount to much.... I'd also like to share my condolences with YWG, which is getting more Zip....

It also appears to me that V UG are non-domestic so does that mean if you go (as you almost always have to in AC's world) ex-YYZ you can't sit in the front on the YYZ leg? I think so!

[This message has been edited by PunishedEdmontonian (edited 12-06-2002).]
Old Dec 6, 2002, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Punished Edmontonian. I think that the only possibility of an upgrade ex YWG is on mainline AC to YYZ. I think that I will start a local chapter of "The AC doesn't value Westerners Club"
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
LondonElite: It actually looks not too bad for Elites.

Here's the thread on errorplan

FewMiles..

------------------
[ FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web ]
[ Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage ] [ Unofficial oneworld Info Desk ]
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Agree, although I'm increasingly of the view that there is nothing to stop C9 to C0 happening a few days earlier. Time of booking would have been nice for Y/M fares but I suppose that would be too greedy.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:29 am
Suspended

I think it is actually one hell of an improvement for Elites. From Errorplan:

"Y/M/B/H - for all other destinations, except:
Y only - for Europe/Middle East"

That is one major increase in benefits, allowing E to upgrade on a lot of longhaul routes (SYD, HKG etc) from H & B now.

Combine this with the time window benefit for higher fares and it is very good.

SE only got a time window increase and apart from the V to the USA (big deal) got no fare class benefits......SE also have to compete now with E at 7 days.

I think there is no doubt who the winners and losers are in these changes. Another dilution of SE benefits.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

A anticipate a mad rush of Elite mileage runs to HKG in B and H fares (with old certs, of course) in January.

Oh wait, isn't that the route that zeros out just before the window opens?

[This message has been edited by LondonElite (edited 12-06-2002).]
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I believe that V is upgradeable only on transborder routes, as is the case with SE.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Howard:
I believe that V is upgradeable only on transborder routes, as is the case with SE.</font>
My typo...meant H
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:39 am

lmartin999.

Good point. We have an E upgrading on a full fare Y and an S.E upgrading on an "H" both seven days before departure. Only one seat left in "C" Who gets the upgrade? I think Booking Class will now overide Status?

Biggles.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:44 am

From the CIC.

"BOOKING CLASS DETERMINES UPGRADE ELIGIBILTY, NOT THE FARE BASIS"

Biggles.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:58 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Biggles:

lmartin999.

Good point. We have an E upgrading on a full fare Y and an S.E upgrading on an "H" both seven days before departure. Only one seat left in "C" Who gets the upgrade? I think Booking Class will now overide Status?

Biggles.
</font>
I think this is fairly straightforward. We are back with an expanded version of telephone lotto. Whoever calls first will get the C seat, assuming there is one. However, if waitlisting I think it will be as before, SE will have priority on waitlist over E. If a waitlist has 5 E on it and an SE calls in they will jump to the head of the waitlist. However, I believe that a seat being released into C does not automatically always go to the first person on the waitlist. So, it could be even more fun. I have pretty much got used to checking C every 15 minutes for a month before my flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.