Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC accepts mediator recommendations on CUPE flight attendant issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2002, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D10C228A2
Old Dec 4, 2002, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2DC518A2
Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:50 pm
exAC

Here are some interesting items from the contract proposal:

42. Due to the special nature of the overnight turnaround pairings on some routes, Cabin personnel operating on the POS and BGI routes may sleep in the last sold seats, if they are available. These provisions will also apply to overnight flights on the YYZ-HNL / HNL –SYD / YVR – PEK routes.

43. For the life of this agreement, there will be no merging of the B767 and A320/A319/B737 pairings except for positioning purposes from Winnipeg and Edmonton. However, a minimum number of wide body pairings will be assigned to Winnipeg and Edmonton.

44. Beijing operations B767-300. October and March will be B14 months. November through February crew complement will be increased by one flight attendant to a maximum of eight. Those flights will not be considered B14 flights.

45. Crew rest units B767-300. Two single “J” Class seats with separating curtains – B14 on both legs. Crew of eight with two in-charges. Layovers of no less than 18 hours.

LONG RANGE FLYING

46. A new LOU (Letter of Understanding) 22A will govern for duty periods lasting from 16:16 to 18:00 hours in a single flight leg. The Provisions of LOU 18 will apply, with two additional flight attendants, guaranteed crew rest and other protections.

47. A new LOU 22B will apply for duty periods of 18:01 hours to 19:30 hours in a single flight leg. The Provisions of LOU 18 will apply, with three additional flight attendants, and additional provisions similar to the above.

48. LOU 22 Capped Load. The load on a specific LOU 22 route may be capped for sole purpose of extending the range of that aircraft and the crew complement may be reduced by one crew member for every reduction of 40 passengers.

49. LOU 22 Capped Load. Short Crewing Penalty. When a capped load flight is operated with less than the required cabin crew, each operating cabin crew member shall receive a premium of fifty (50) percent on all flight time credits for the flight operated.

50. YVR/PEK/YVR will be considered B14 pairings in October and May. On board rest provisions similar to the current YYZ/POS pairings will be extended to YYZ/BGI, YYZ/HNL, HNL/SYD and YVR/PEK.

HOTEL SELECTION

51. A process similar to that of the pilots will determine hotel selection.

52. With regards to layovers in Japan, on layovers of 32 hours or more, the hotel will be in downtown Tokyo. On layovers of less than 32 hours, the Union proposes a let to Article B5.05.03 (downtown hotel), the hotel will be in downtown Narita. During a layover in downtown Narita cabin personnel will be able to claim, upon submitting a receipt, cost of transportation to downtown Tokyo and return, up to a maximum of $50.

Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:58 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by exAC:
During a layover in downtown Narita cabin personnel will be able to claim, upon submitting a receipt, cost of transportation to downtown Tokyo and return, up to a maximum of $50. </font>
That's not even enough for a one way train ride to downtown NRT.

Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:59 pm

And the part about job security is also interesting (The ZIP part) -

JOB SECURITY

11. During the life of this agreement, there will be no involuntary layoffs of any permanent bargaining unit members employed at Air Canada on September 8, 2002.

12. There will be no base closures and no involuntary relocations during the life of this collective agreement.

13. 300 Voluntary Separation Packages (VSPs) will be available for employees 55 or older when retiring. They must express an intention to retire prior to June 1, 2003 and must retire before August 31, 2005. Such employees will receive $800 monthly for five years or until age 65.

14. Air Canada recognizes us as the sole bargaining agent for all cabin personnel employed by Air Canada and ZIP. ZIP personnel can move to mainline Air Canada after three years, and mainline cabin personnel have access to ZIP work.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 6:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
That's not even enough for a one way train ride to downtown NRT.
</font>
That's not true. On the regular train (not the Narita Express), the fare is about 25 CAD. It's slower, but it goes into Tokyo Station all the same.

Old Dec 4, 2002, 6:11 pm

You're right. I took the regular train last time and it took me well over an hour. So I think the NRT express is worth it as it gets you there in under an hour.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 6:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Empress, you're right, it's a real milk train and it gets very crowded during rush hour (I used to commute on it...), but the luxury of the Narita Express has its price...
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Bear in mind, a crew pooling their transportation allowances are likely to get a minibus.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Looks like more fuel for the fire as some ex-CP FA shut out of bonuses as part of new contact:

http://www.canada.com/search/story.a...d-37bcb2670fc6

Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:59 am
exAC

Although the CP FA's will not get the bonus, they did get an immeadiate uplift in wages three years ago of 25%-30%. That was one of the reasons for the "Loyalty" bonus which was only given to AC people. It was to even out the two sides.

Old Dec 6, 2002, 5:24 pm

I'm not trying to stir any pots here exAC but I feel a perspective from the exCdn side is justified. There is no argument from me that exCdn f/as received a healthy hourly wage increase from AC. What is not well known though are the working conditions Cdn gave up in exchange for that wage. Conditions with monetary penalties attached that are non-existent at AC.

With two years worth of "new wages" now under our belts I have yet to find an exCdn flight attendant who can claim that their overall take home pay is substantially more today than it was in 1999. I know mine wasn't. Some have actually stated they are bringing home less.

Now don't take this defense and assume I'm stating that the loyalty bonus shouldn't be paid to org. AC. All the other unions received it so why shouldn't the f/as.

Two sides to every story...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.