Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada seeks to turn Toronto into premier international hub

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada seeks to turn Toronto into premier international hub

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by respectable_man
R u serious? No person in their right mind connects in YYZ unless they absolutely have to. The level of ancillary services, quality and price of said services, and most importantly the dishonourable attitude of staff at YYZ (AC staff, customs officers etc) is incompatible with a first rate airport.

YYZ is a scam airport from the first to the last gate. It pales in comparison with most significant US airports in terms of pretty much anything. Have you been to JFK, ATL or even MSP lately, and see how they have managed to provide a much more interesting environment than YYZ? How can anyone compare YYZ with DXB?

Toronto is not a destination city comparable to Paris, Amsterdam, London or Munich, so AC would need to do this on the strength of transfers alone, and YYZ has only acquired importance because Canada cannot sustain more than one truly international gateway.

Look at the absurd way the trains-terminal train was built: it is out of reach and one needs to go through security again. Cheap cheap cheap only cheap! Everything else is expensive expensive expensive! (get serious: $10 a beer?)

I do not know any flyer from Western Canada who would choose to connect in YYZ unless they had to.

Fir cryin' out loud, some people have strange ideas. YYZ is a hole and is only notorious in terms of passenger traffic for its discomforts and because AC had chosen it as it gateway.
Frequently connect is Seattle. My preference is YYZ, much better hub. The other major US gateways to Europe or Asia are not much better.

Is San Francisco better the YYZ? No.
Is LAX better that YYZ? No.
Is JFK better than YYZ? No.
Is Newark better than YYZ? No.
Is Philly better that YYZ? No.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
But the Australia / NZ is bad. They have 1 to AUS right now (33) and soon to be MEL, so 2. And 1 to NZ.
BNE actually.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
R u serious? No person in their right mind connects in YYZ unless they absolutely have to.
Odd - I see quite a few sane looking American passport holders on my Intercontinental flights transiting voluntarily through YYZ.

YYZ is far from perfect, but most American airports are holes in comparison. (and $10 beer doesn't seem so expensive when it only costs Americans $7.50).
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
Odd - I see quite a few sane looking American passport holders on my Intercontinental flights transiting voluntarily through YYZ.

YYZ is far from perfect, but most American airports are holes in comparison. (and $10 beer doesn't seem so expensive when it only costs Americans $7.50).
..... and we have real beer
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
BNE actually.
Right! Was one of the two
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Frequently connect is Seattle. My preference is YYZ, much better hub. The other major US gateways to Europe or Asia are not much better.

Is San Francisco better the YYZ? No.
Is LAX better that YYZ? No.
Is JFK better than YYZ? No.
Is Newark better than YYZ? No.
Is Philly better that YYZ? No.
ord is better than YYZ. YES
Iah is better than YYZ Yes.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by why fly
ord is better than YYZ. YES
Iah is better than YYZ Yes.
IAH is better, especially new terminal, but A&B are pathetic. As well only Crappy UA lounge in most terminals, but better restaurants ( always stop and have something @ Cat Cora’s )

ORD well if better = crowded, chronic delayed flights,( 9 out ot 10 worst in 2014 linked to ORD) long walks between terminals without out adequate moving sidewalks (working, not working or simply none ) ... sure
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by xLuther
ORD well if better = crowded, chronic delayed flights,( 9 out ot 10 worst in 2014 linked to ORD) long walks between terminals without out adequate moving sidewalks (working, not working or simply none ) ... sure
Not to mention the requirement to clear immigration,customs and security along with a terminal change (and train ride) when arriving on an International flight and connecting to a Canada bound flight. Sounds like a winner to me.

Granted the immigration requirements aren't unique to ORD when talking about US airports.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But this whole 12C thing is just speculation, no? I mean there aren't many other ways of fitting exactly one more seat on board, but they haven't released a new seat map.
I suppose you're right, but the only other way I could think of them fitting it in is cutting off 1 J seat, making it 11A!!??? The curtain setup would be rather weird but that aircraft has 4 singles so they could swap to 3 rows of J (though a bit disjointed) and move 4A to 11A. Which I'd love!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Uh hello.

GTAA.

Period.

YYZ will never become what it could have been.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Look at the absurd way the trains-terminal train was built: it is out of reach and one needs to go through security again. .
Hmmm, how is it different compared to ORD for example? BTW, if you connect INTL-INTL at ORD T5, you have to clear security again within the same terminal. So what about those glass houses and stones?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:28 am
Suspended

The FA on my LHR/YYZ flight passed out several US customs forms in the mini J cabin I was in on a 777 yesterday. seemed like about half given out were US forms.
Who would want to change flights in ORD or JFK when AC offers better pricing and an easier transfer.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

It cant be that hard to lure Americans into flying AC, when you are selling ex-USA tickets at ridiculously discounted rates.

waiting for those $300 NYCIST, and $450 LAXHKG tickets to make a comeback.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Hello again
The FA on my LHR/YYZ flight passed out several US customs forms in the mini J cabin I was in on a 777 yesterday. seemed like about half given out were US forms.
Who would want to change flights in ORD or JFK when AC offers better pricing and an easier transfer.
I carry a supplemental supply in my bag as often US Customs forms exceed Canadian on European flights.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Hmmm, how is it different compared to ORD for example? BTW, if you connect INTL-INTL at ORD T5, you have to clear security again within the same terminal. So what about those glass houses and stones?
There are multiple aspects to this.
1. Compare YYZ to ATL or DTW, where the trains are much much more convenient in terms of accessibility than YYZ. You do have to go through security to access this but remain secure between terminals.
2. I do not deny that some (in fact I know some) US citizens will transit through YYZ, but I know many more Canadians, especially who will avoid it if they can.

Cm'on guys... where are the banks of iPads (like they have near the int'l departure gates), the banks of rechargers at YYZ? not the half-dozen scattered around but the dozens, with reasonable seating?

Most retails charge a huge premium at YYZ for the right to give minimal service. A reasonable lunch at YYZ is $20ish, twice what it is in ORD, ATL or MSP (although the exchange rate skews the exact proportion on a regular basis). I don't suggest it's for everyone but you can get a BigMac meal in ORD or many places for not much of a premium over the regular price (certainly <$10).

YYZ (and to a lesser extend AC itself) is 5-7 years behind many U.S. carriers and U.S. gateways. How can anyone seriously compare YYZ to AMS in terms of variety of food outlets, shopping, and general level of services?

T3 is not exactly premium territory either. Thank God I don't have to go through this any more.

Progress HAS been made, like these nice seating areas sponsored by CIBC, but AC will have to climb a mountain and invest billions to make YYZ competitive as an international gateway. I just think they are so far behind it will be a long battle they will not win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.