Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Skipping last leg of a Priority Reward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Skipping last leg of a Priority Reward

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Skipping last leg of a Priority Reward

So I know with SE Priority Rewards, the booking SE has to fly on the ticket. But do they have to fly on every segment?

Here's the scenario: I'm planning a trip to take my mom to see a few places in Asia early next year. She does the "snowbird" thing, so she'll be in Florida at the time.

My plan is (or was, until I thought of this potential hiccup), to book myself a separate one-way reward to go down to Florida for a few hours to "pick her up." I'd then book the trip as Florida-Toronto-various places in Asia-Toronto-Florida.

My plan was to skip the final Toronto-Florida flight myself, and stay at home while mom goes back to her escape of the north.

I assume that if she showed up to check in for Asia-Toronto-Florida without me, they'd say "no."

But what's just occurred to me is that I don't know if I just say goodbye and head landside after we land in Toronto, if when mom tries to board the Toronto-Florida flight, they'll say "Nope, you don't get to board."

Anyone know the answer? I'd really like to avoid spending another day flying to Tampa and back again to drop her back off, but obviously I don't want to run the risk of her being denied boarding on that final segment.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It's only international J IKK where you have to be on the flight.

I don't even know why you'd go down to pick her up, and you certainly don't have to fly back to Florida with her.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I believe that with the IKK for companions, the rules state that you must fly
just one of the international legs with that person - at least that's the way it used
to be.

Anyway, I don't think she will have any problem, you will be checked in for the final
leg and just no-show. She will have boarded by then.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's only international J IKK where you have to be on the flight.
I did not know that, actually. Doing a dummy booking, I see you're right. Thanks!

I don't even know why you'd go down to pick her up, and you certainly don't have to fly back to Florida with her.
Beyond just wanting to spend more time with Rouge?

Well, beyond the aforementioned fact that I thought I'd have to be on any IKK flight, not just international, there's also the fact that the multi-city booking tool seems to require a trip to begin and end in the same place. Starting a multi-city in Toronto and ending it Florida prompts a "You're doing it wrong" error message.

So I can't book Toronto-Asian City-Another Asian City-Florida, I have to book Florida-Asian City-Another Asian City-Florida.

Or is this just a dumb requirement of the online booking tool, and if I get off my lazy behind and call in to book I'll be able to book it as Toronto-Asian cities of choice-Florida in exchange for a couple of phone booking fees?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I believe that with the IKK for companions, the rules state that you must fly
just one of the international legs with that person - at least that's the way it used
to be.

Anyway, I don't think she will have any problem, you will be checked in for the final
leg and just no-show. She will have boarded by then.
Perfect. Thanks. That's what I figured, but I wanted to test my assumptions against the greater knowledge here before I finished my mom's dream trip of a lifetime by stranding her in Canada in the winter.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
I did not know that, actually. Doing a dummy booking, I see you're right. Thanks!

Beyond just wanting to spend more time with Rouge?

Well, beyond the aforementioned fact that I thought I'd have to be on any IKK flight, not just international, there's also the fact that the multi-city booking tool seems to require a trip to begin and end in the same place. Starting a multi-city in Toronto and ending it Florida prompts a "You're doing it wrong" error message.

So I can't book Toronto-Asian City-Another Asian City-Florida, I have to book Florida-Asian City-Another Asian City-Florida.

Or is this just a dumb requirement of the online booking tool, and if I get off my lazy behind and call in to book I'll be able to book it as Toronto-Asian cities of choice-Florida in exchange for a couple of phone booking fees?
I'm still not sure I understand. I thought you wanted to fly YYZ to wherever to YYZ, and your mother would be doing Florida to YYZ to wherever to YYZ to Florida?

Starting and ending in different cities is an open jaw, which I think would replace one of your stopovers.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

I'm still not sure I understand. I thought you wanted to fly YYZ to wherever to YYZ, and your mother would be doing Florida to YYZ to wherever to YYZ to Florida?

Starting and ending in different cities is an open jaw, which I think would replace one of your stopovers.
Yes, I believe that's correct. But the online multicity tool errors out when you try to book A-B, B-C, C-D. Probably a limitation of the tool rather than the rules, so I'll try calling it in.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:57 pm

Well if what I said is correct then you are returning to where you start, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.