Wiki Posts
Search

How to Avoid AC/LH?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
How to Avoid AC/LH?

As follow-up to my previous thread, I actually just saw a bunch of availability to Southern Germany and Austria (Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, etc.) in September in J.

However, Aeorplan seems intent on including AC or LH in the itinerary, bringing the total surcharge to over $1,000.

Is there a way to avoid either carrier? I wouldn't mind flying all UA, or OS (though I'm not sure if the latter is also subject to these ridiculous surcharges?).

Is calling Aeroplan the only way to find out if alternate routings are available? Many thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Quick look on the United site shows you can do SFO-IAD-GVA, Sept 8-16, all on United, as long as you don't mind doing the SFO-IAD leg in Y.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Quick look on the United site shows you can do SFO-IAD-GVA, Sept 8-16, all on United, as long as you don't mind doing the SFO-IAD leg in Y.
Nice! I'm fine with that. I'm guessing the only way to book this is to call Aeroplan?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by AC888
Nice! I'm fine with that. I'm guessing the only way to book this is to call Aeroplan?
Yup. Since it's a pretty straight-line routing, I can't see it being over MPM, so if the first agent tells you the routing's not valid, I would HUCA at least once.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
I believe OS is part of LH group, and so probably attracts high scamcharges.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Ended up booking SFO-IAH-MUC-ORD-SFO all in United J, except the SFO-IAH leg in Y. 90k miles and $154 in scam charges.

There was actually LH F availability, and I was very tempted. But not being all that concerned with airline food, I decided to save the surcharge (and miles) and spend it during the vacation.

Thanks again for the help, everyone!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AC888
Ended up booking SFO-IAH-MUC-ORD-SFO all in United J, except the SFO-IAH leg in Y. 90k miles and $154 in scam charges.

There was actually LH F availability, and I was very tempted. But not being all that concerned with airline food, I decided to save the surcharge (and miles) and spend it during the vacation.

Thanks again for the help, everyone!
If it was all on UA, then it was $0 in scamcharges.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If it was all on UA, then it was $0 in scamcharges.
Fair enough. I guess $154 in valid taxes and fees then.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
LX also has zero scamcharges even though they are part of LH group.

Their J product features the same seats that AC uses on the 77HD that people here hate but LX passengers seem to like.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev

Their J product features the same seats that AC uses on the 77HD that people here hate but LX passengers seem to like.
Not everyone here hate the 777HD J seats. I am booking into YVR in 2 weeks and very much prefer the single seat . Back to YVR in August and booked that a/c type as well outbound.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Lev

I too am ok with the LX and AC seats that are similar. The single seat is just fine and I have one booked YVR/HKG next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.