Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Is Air Canada's website untrusted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Is Air Canada's website untrusted?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Is Air Canada's website untrusted?

Just as I completed booking a flight and confirmation page was loading, my browser blocked the page from loading, with a message that the website security was untrusted. The website was not the usual Air Canada domain (aircanada.com) but something different: aciframe.mytravelwurld.com. I called AC to see whether this did post a security issue (and whether my personal info had been compromised) but I could not get past the agent who said they had "no informatin" about this and there was no way to reach technical support or IT people.

So I'm wondering: do any of you know anything about this URL? I have booked countless flights on the AC website and never encountered something like this.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LitProf
Just as I completed booking a flight and confirmation page was loading, my browser blocked the page from loading, with a message that the website security was untrusted. The website was not the usual Air Canada domain (aircanada.com) but something different: aciframe.mytravelwurld.com. I called AC to see whether this did post a security issue (and whether my personal info had been compromised) but I could not get past the agent who said they had "no informatin" about this and there was no way to reach technical support or IT people.

So I'm wondering: do any of you know anything about this URL? I have booked countless flights on the AC website and never encountered something like this.
Welcome to FT. Screenshot please? I think perhaps your machine is compromised...

http://mytravelwurld.com/ - looks fishy.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
OP - were you actually on the real aircanada website? (Serious question)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
OP - were you actually on the real aircanada website? (Serious question)
Look at this:

https://book1.carrental.com/dcweb/ap...AB_airca_TP_02

Very suspicious. Although it might be a travel site getting ready to come up online.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Sounds phishy to me.
Here phishy phishy... heeeeere phishy.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by Stranger
Look at this:

https://book1.carrental.com/dcweb/ap...AB_airca_TP_02

Very suspicious. Although it might be a travel site getting ready to come up online.
That's the site Air Canada directs car-rental traffic to. There's a similarly AC-branded-but-external site for hotels. It's a common practice for airlines to send travel-related traffic to external sites but have them use the airline's branding.

To the OP's question though, I'm not aware of anything similar for flights... AC is an airline so they don't need anyone else to handle ticket sales for them.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cperciva
That's the site Air Canada directs car-rental traffic to. There's a similarly AC-branded-but-external site for hotels. It's a common practice for airlines to send travel-related traffic to external sites but have them use the airline's branding.
The site that the OP mentioned actually redirected to that site.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
The site that the OP mentioned actually redirected to that site.
The website is registered as being owned by Avis Budget Group, Inc
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:58 pm

LOL Thanks Nomad, needed a laugh today! I totally remember that episode from when I was little!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

My thanks to all of you for jumping in to help me. So it's likely that after booking the flight, AC redirected me to offer me hotel and/or car for that trip. It was that URL that my browser put under suspicion because of an expired certifcate. I'd post a screenshot if I knew how to do that here...

If only AC had some way to communicate that to me, I wouldn't have had to bother all of you kind folks...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Here's the screenshot

[IMG][/IMG]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.