Facebook / Google login

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Facebook / Google login

Is this new?

I can now log in to my Aeroplan account using Facebook or Google auth.

Now all I want is for them to remove the ability to log in with a password, and their security will go from a rating of "crap" to "decent"

Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I think it's been there since the new website released but could be wrong.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Definitely new. Logging in with your Google account requires you to share your identity and email address with AE.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
I think it's been there since the new website released but could be wrong.
I find it hard to believe (but not impossible) that I would have missed it for that long

Originally Posted by i59bravo
Definitely new. Logging in with your Google account requires you to share your identity and email address with AE.
Which, to be fair, is a lot less (probably the minimum) than other sites that allow Google login. Basically enough to associate your Aeroplan account to your Google account.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by i59bravo
Based on my understanding of how AE stores passwords, this scares the pants off of me. I would avoid using this feature.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
i feel like most non-technically inclined people will start to use this though as its one less password for them to remember. Remember, most people are all about convenience rather than security.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Based on my understanding of how AE stores passwords, this scares the pants off of me. I would avoid using this feature.
AP is not storing any passwords, this is not how Facebook connect and Google auth work, only tokens are exchanged.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by knotseh
Remember, most people are all about convenience rather than security.
Even after bad things happening, many people will still choose convenience because they're just utterly clueless.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Which, to be fair, is a lot less (probably the minimum) than other sites that allow Google login. Basically enough to associate your Aeroplan account to your Google account.
I'm okay with it. It doesn't allow them any info that AC/AE didn't have anyway
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
If you are concerned about how Aeroplan stores passwords then that should make you want to use OAuth. I am now using my Google Account with AP. Minimal Google account interaction requirements are good ^.

Outsource something heavy, complicated, and security related to a much more secure body like Google or Facebox? Yes please. Way batter than AP IT monkeys trying to figure out how to salt and hash.

This is an interesting watch if anybody is interested.
Offenders that email passwords back in plain text (that I found):
Marriott
BC Ministry of Citizens Services
Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
When I try to connect via google, I get a very odd looking error, below. If you go to cingularity.ca (the email in the error) it brings you to some random dudes website... corporate IT at it's best!

Just to be sure, are we sure these buttons are legit?

>>>>>>>>>>>>

400. That’s an error.

Error: redirect_uri_mismatch

Application: Aeroplan.com

You can email the developer of this application at: [email protected]

The redirect URI in the request: http://www3.aeroplan.com/social/googlelogin did not match a registered redirect URI.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Using Google is the safer option (especially if you enable 2 step identification).
Google generates a token for aeroplan that can only be used by aeroplan and just says that this is you based on the fact that you are logged in to your google account.
It's not like aeroplan now has access to your google account.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Using Google is the safer option (especially if you enable 2 step identification).
Google generates a token for aeroplan that can only be used by aeroplan and just says that this is you based on the fact that you are logged in to your google account.
It's not like aeroplan now has access to your google account.

I agree, with this, even though I was saying earlier that only the less-technically inclined would use this. That was actually a very naive statement as more technically inclined (actually lets call it security caution) person would know a token from your other account versus having the same password on multiple different accounts, is much safer.

Otherwise, sites that don't have this feature, a password manager is in order.

AC also already has your email, credit-card info, and generally speaking, address. There's really not much to worry about.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Is this new?

I can now log in to my Aeroplan account using Facebook or Google auth.

Now all I want is for them to remove the ability to log in with a password, and their security will go from a rating of "crap" to "decent"

Looks like they have their IT priorities sorted out.

NOT
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
It's pretty standard for sites to offer this no a days. It's nice to see that they are at least trying to keep up with the public's demands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.