Search

Op-ups and how they work

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25k
Op-ups and how they work

Another newbie question...

How do op-ups work? I mean I know how they work, but I have questions.

For example, tonight's AC1142 is showing:
J7 C7 D7 Z7 P7 R6 Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0

It is likely oversold, with 7 seats left in the J cabin, so if this remains the same, 7 Y pax will get an op-up to J (or however many extra Y pax they need to fit in, whichever is lower). These will be assigned by Tier, SE first, then 75, 50, 35, etc...

Assuming I am right in what I just said, what are the odds for a 35K to get op-upped on a domestic flight? Do you need to be in the gate area if your name is called? What if you're in the MLL, will you be called there? Would the GA catch you at boarding or would they go to the next name on the list if you don't show up to the podium when called?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
The thing with OpUps, is you just never know.

There could be a bunch of misconnects and then it won't be oversold anymore.

If it is, though it is done by Status (or supposed to be done by status). Will a 35K get one, it happens of course. Not something I would plan on, though.

Get your sleeping aid ready, just in case
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YQMYMM
Another newbie question...

How do op-ups work? I mean I know how they work, but I have questions.

For example, tonight's AC1142 is showing:
J7 C7 D7 Z7 P7 R6 Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0

It is likely oversold, with 7 seats left in the J cabin, so if this remains the same, 7 Y pax will get an op-up to J (or however many extra Y pax they need to fit in, whichever is lower). These will be assigned by Tier, SE first, then 75, 50, 35, etc...

Assuming I am right in what I just said, what are the odds for a 35K to get op-upped on a domestic flight? Do you need to be in the gate area if your name is called? What if you're in the MLL, will you be called there? Would the GA catch you at boarding or would they go to the next name on the list if you don't show up to the podium when called?
Firstly, assuming Y is truly oversold (which it seems as you put it) those on the upgrade waitlist get confirmed by order, then op-ups if required.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Firstly, assuming Y is truly oversold (which it seems as you put it) those on the upgrade waitlist get confirmed by order, then op-ups if required.
R6 so there isn't a waitlist yet (could change).

I guess what I'm getting at is should I wait at the gate (just in case, even if unlikely) when the flight availability looks like I posted up top or am I safe not to lose an op-up by being in the MLL?

Last edited by YQMYMM; Aug 28, 2015 at 12:44 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I guess what I'm getting at is should I wait at the gate (just in case, even if unlikely) when the flight availability looks like I posted up top or am I safe not to lose an op-up by being in the MLL?
Look at it this way: Why do they do op-ups? Because they need your Y seat.

So if you don't show up, they don't need to upgrade anyone else, because they have your seat available.

So I wouldn't worry about being at the gate.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Right.

There are cases where R is positive but a waitlist still exists. it's happened to me before, but thankfully, rare.

Well, if you're truly waiting for a bonafide op-up when it is R6, the trusted protocol, aside from W&B issues, is to at a minimum op-up by status... so it seems that you are E35... you would need basically no E50s, E75s, S100s and E35s who paid a fare class less than you... in order for you to get an op-up.

Or, you could have a rogue GA who will op-up as he/she wishes, thumbing their nose to the protocol and not giving a damn about the loyal customers - which happens quite often.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

So consensus is that an op-up opportunity would be lost by being away from the gate area?

GA would reprint new boarding pass and catch you at boarding if you don't approach when called?

I know it's unlikely as hell for a 35K but I should hit 50K by end of year and 75 or 100 next year, just want to get everything straight for when it becomes likelier.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Relax, chill in the lounge...

So consensus is that an op-up opportunity would be lost by being away from the gate area?

GA would reprint new boarding pass and catch you at boarding if you don't approach when called?

I know it's unlikely as hell for a 35K but I should hit 50K by end of year and 75 or 100 next year, just want to get everything straight for when it becomes likelier.
You should not need to be hovering around the gate praying for your op-up.

What is supposed to happen is that if you get an op-up they print out your new boarding pass and call you up to the gate. If you are not there when they call you, you should still have your op-up and when you go to board the agent's computer generates a message indicating you have a new seat and they hand you your new boarding pass.

At least that's how it is supposed to (and usually does) happen.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev

What is supposed to happen is that if you get an op-up they print out your new boarding pass and call you up to the gate. If you are not there when they call you, you should still have your op-up and when you go to board the agent's computer generates a message indicating you have a new seat and they hand you your new boarding pass.

This ..... when it happens
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS

I was op-uped last week from YHZ-YYZ- Y was likely overbooked, (it was a 321). I must have been in the lounge when they called my name, because I was surprised to receive a new BP when boarding. You may very well be upgraded as a 35K, stranger things have happened...
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone!

I wouldn't hover per se, more likely passed out on a bench or the floor. Would much rather pass out in a comfy MLL chair
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I was op-up this week YYZ-YVR. Likely because I complained that they moved me from a preferred seat to middle seat. And because they needed a Y seat and I am SE. Flight back from YVR-YYZ was not completely full (about 10 seats free), but I heard one pax op-up, two Rouge FAs in J and one co-pilot in the back - so make what you will of it, J went out full and I am not complaining.
While the op-up is supposed to be by status and the GA should have your new BP waiting even if you are not at the gate, I do not believe this happens every time.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC S100K
I have been given op-ups during boarding this year. When I've been on a multi-passenger PNR, I've also been given the opportunity to decline (which is good).

From that, I've inferred that my original seat has not been given to another until after I've boarded.

So, while you needn't be there at the onset, I wouldn't board so late that the GA has had to make a decision for you.

For those that say there's supposed to be an order, I note there's no published procedure or promise beyond what Ben may have said here. I'd respectfully suggest that adherance to that procedure is unlikely to trump OTP. GAs are very busy on oversold flights, and will take the path of least resistance.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K

I've always found that they call up the standby passengers at LGA, then start going down the list for the op-up list about 5-10 minutes before boarding the flight. Exactly what you said The Lev, If you have your headphones on or are just not in the area during that time, the computer flashes and they hand you your new pass.
If you were around and heard your name, if you like boarding early....its kinda nice.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC 1MM/SE 100K, MR Lifetime Premiere Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I know people are claiming that this is how op-ups/upgrades work, but I was on a flight from LHR to Saint John's that had something like 30 people on the J waitlist (I added myself *at the gate*). Thankfully, there was a change in metal and they had about 12J. So I figured I'd still have no chance. About 5 minutes before boarding, the gate agent started calling names. Foo, Bar, Baz, Bla, FooBar, FooBaz... etc... about 10 total. I see about 4 people show up. Five minutes later (people are already boarding), another set of 10 names. 3 more people show up. Five minutes later, another set of 10 names (including mine). I get my J upgrade, and she comments on how "nobody's been showing up and I don't have time to wait -- we're already boarding, so you've been hovering here and there you go").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.