Community
Wiki Posts
Search

baggage services desk for SEs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
baggage services desk for SEs

Instead of calling the toll-free baggage services number at the back of one's SE Altitude/Aeroplan card, one (for missing or delayed or damaged luggage after a flight), a SE can call these agents by going through the concierge desk (central phone number in Toronto). For the moment, this service is not yet offering a direct toll-free number for SEs - one has to go via that central concierge number.

I just found out about it last week from the YOW concierge, and used the service.

One of our bags on our flight last week from YVR to YOW via YUL wound up in Boston with another person's baggage tag. We first went to baggage service at YOW - when our bag did not show up - they put the baggage claim check number (that was on our baggage claim check, for our supposedly tagged bag) in their computer. From then on, the AC computer says that bag was not trackable. I then told the YOW concierge about it three days after our arrival in Ottawa, who in turn told one of the agents of the new service to call me. I spoke to the agent, going over where the bag might be (there is a much longer story to this then I am willing or able to state in a public forum), He called several other airports, and was able to track the bag at the other airport - with the bag tag in another person's name (who did happen to go to that destination). The bag was shipped back to us.

I am not sure that the bag could have been tracked, if I had stayed with normal channels - ie let the ongoing baggage claim of a missing bag be on the computerized data base.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Unhappy

thanks for the info, but AC lost baggage service completely inadequate by comparison to others.

Recently enroute on LH from ICN to FCO via MUC in J - flight attendant just before landing in MUC comes over and advises my checked baggage missed the flight. She asked for my hotel info in Rome, filled out the form for me, and had me sign. She handed me receipt and compensation form for delay, and confirmed bag will be delivered on a routing via FRA, and the estimated time it would be at my hotel.

Stuff happens but the LH recovery process was exceptional - and as every carrier must know which checked bags are on board for aviation security purposes, absolutely zero excuse that AC could not introduce something similar.

And just struck me that as Wifi becomes common on board, then AC could have baggage information emailed to traveler enroute, details completed electronically, and traveler straight to hotel or home.

And absolutely absurd to have your customers waiting for last bag at carousel to discover missed flight, then head over to baggage desk when airline knew at time of departure about bag status.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by skybluesea
And just struck me that as Wifi becomes common on board, then AC could have baggage information emailed to traveler enroute, details completed electronically, and traveler straight to hotel or home.
It's only 1:54am, but I am confident that this will be the funniest post I read all day. You're kidding right?

The legacy systems that AC works with.........LOL is all I have to say
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:05 am
Suspended

Yes, I must be dreaming that this will happen anytime soon.

And I also never expected to be bumped out of PE, so was that a dream too
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Interesting development. One of the most glaring service deficiencies for paid J and SE will be gone if this is true!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Interesting development. One of the most glaring service deficiencies for paid J and SE will be gone if this is true!
Well paid J only has access to concierge service at the airport on the day of departure so...
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Why is it Lufthansa can do this on-board, but another Star carrier AC with plenty of codeshares with LH let's all their customers hang out at baggage carousel when they fail to get bag on flight.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.....And just struck me that as Wifi becomes common on board, then AC could have baggage information emailed to traveler enroute, details completed electronically, and traveler straight to hotel or home.

And absolutely absurd to have your customers waiting for last bag at carousel to discover missed flight, then head over to baggage desk when airline knew at time of departure about bag status.

Why is it Lufthansa can do this on-board, but another Star carrier AC with plenty of codeshares with LH let's all their customers hang out at baggage carousel when they fail to get bag on flight.

A number of months ago in a different thread, I posted the question why DL (for example) offers the ability to track your bag via their app, but AC could not.

Without pointing out the glaring insanity of the AC IT universe.....it took me a moment to remember who I was dealing with.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:45 am
Suspended

the entire AC baggage experience is poor - premium customers pay premium which generally includes baggage handling. Many carriers have dedicated airport baggage handling for premium customers so no dragging bag to check-in counter, etc.

Had great experience on SQ arriving in Dehli where bags were waiting in special area for premium customers (not going round on carousel) - and of course porters waiting to take the bag to the hotel car. Understand labour rates low in India, nonetheless, return on J on any oceanic crossing warrants far more serious attention to entire process.

What is really damaging for AC and other carriers for that matter is they have done such a poor job of baggage management that their premium customers self-decide to become porters, dragging their bags into the cabin, arguing for space, and for me with age/back strain challenge of lifting bag into overhead bin (far less now).

In last few years, generally checking bag because of my personal circumstances, so complementary baggage fee barely adequate, because I still have to drag bag around, including lifting onto check-in desk. Forces me to pack more lightly, which means I spend more at destination with hotel laundry.

Do airlines get the western world demographic is getting old very fast and so physical impediments such as this will drive down customer satisfaction and drive customers to those carriers that get it.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:15 am
Suspended

the entire AC baggage experience is poor - premium customers pay premium which generally includes baggage handling. Many carriers have dedicated airport baggage handling for premium customers so no dragging bag to check-in counter, etc.

Had great experience on SQ arriving in Dehli where bags were waiting in special area for premium customers (not going round on carousel) - and of course porters waiting to take the bag to the hotel car. Understand labour rates low in India, nonetheless, return on J on any oceanic crossing warrants far more serious attention to entire process.

What is really damaging for AC and other carriers for that matter is they have done such a poor job of baggage management that their premium customers self-decide to become porters, dragging their bags into the cabin, arguing for space, and for me with age/back strain challenge of lifting bag into overhead bin (far less now).

In last few years, generally checking bag because of my personal circumstances, so complementary baggage fee barely adequate, because I still have to drag bag around, including lifting onto check-in desk. Forces me to pack more lightly, which means I spend more at destination with hotel laundry.

Do airlines get the western world demographic is getting old very fast and so physical impediments such as this will drive down customer satisfaction and drive customers to those carriers that get it.

If you want to have a discussion about airlines and their knowledge of demographics and how they choose to serve various groups of customers, that would require some expensive liquids and some comfortable chairs.

That aside, IMHO, baggage delivery carousels were designed for a different purpose from a different era. Those airlines who want to ensure their premium customers get premium services at ALL levels, do a lot of work for every "customer touchpoint" (annoying phrase, but I digress).

Last edited by 24left; Aug 20, 2015 at 1:39 pm Reason: my spell-check broke too
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:09 pm
Suspended

well, how can I give up on this offer to fix the world - but where and when as I'm only off till next Thursday, and crank-up travel again big time to mid-Dec.

Of course, we will have remarkable insights like this to contend with.
Originally Posted by tedstriker2010
there are few places in the world with worse customer service than U.S. airlines.
DL leading the way with guaranteed baggage delivery times or refund, but this is small offer compared to what happens when really powerful firms demand action over poor transportation service delivery. Disney understands that their bottom line is impacted from guests who show up grumpy after poor airline experience and spend less at Disney venues.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...gical-express/

This is great offer, and creates immense discipline for airlines as Disney influences vast amounts of US leisure travel, and being excluded from this program from lack of performance could cost significant revenues.

We need more market access to global offerings available in Canada, which ultimately only source of change given cosy nature of AC/WJ so-called rivalry.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:41 pm
Suspended

well, how can I give up on this offer to fix the world - but where and when as I'm only off till next Thursday......

Never, ever give up. Do what I do, ponder it all at 41,000
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by 24left
Never, ever give up. Do what I do, ponder it all at 41,000
you know, I have to admit, at 41,000 ft I do tend to come up with some of the best ideas for AC to improve service.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
It's only 1:54am, but I am confident that this will be the funniest post I read all day. You're kidding right?

The legacy systems that AC works with.........LOL is all I have to say
Your friend Mr. Lipsey disagrees with you. My understanding is that he believes the airline baggage services are fine. As he states, if you are unhappy, take your business elsewhere.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24961870-post107.html

I did that and am just about to book another asia long haul on the DL/KLM/AF network saving me approx. $4000+ and with a lower likelihood of delays or baggage issues.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Just used the service. Very, very impressed. One more reason for me to keep flying AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.