Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Fleet Changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by The Lev
Obvious answer... CSeries.

Early delivery slots likely to open up if AC wants them.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Isn't that like exchanging one chocolate chip cookie....for another almost identical chocolate chip cookie...and then paying extra for the swap?
Not just paying more but going with the cookie manufacture that probably won't make it past the launch of their cookie so if you have a problem with it after you're screwed.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Not just paying more but going with the cookie manufacture that probably won't make it past the launch of their cookie so if you have a problem with it after you're screwed.
I suspect you are overly pessimistic.

Once they start delivering cash flow will switch to positive. Which is a matter of months Most of the costs have already been paid for.

Even if sales continue being slow, eventually they'll pick up. The product is good and once there is an actual record, they'll sell. Also, they fill a niche in which the competition is not all that cost effective.

Reminds me of the story of the 747, how it almost bankrupted Boeing, and the massive layoffs that followed. Plus, it took what, maybe thirty year until the program became profitable, i.e. until they finished paying for development costs plus interests, and real profit started flowing in.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly
I thought the E90 have/or are coming out with a new more efficient plane? New E is perhaps not as good as the C series, but it would be risky buying the c-series now, when so many airlines have passed.
They are reengining the E series. However, the E90 is not really the right size for AC anymore now that they are moving to the sardine can/low price model.

Plus, the reliability issue is not going to go away all that easy. And no, it won't be quite as efficient as the CSeries.

OTOH, with cheap oil, efficiency is not as important as it used to. But then, in another five years that may change again. Even earlier if we start recognizing that the Saudi thugs are no better but worse than the IS thugs. And there is just a gentle little push to destabilize them from the right quarters.

I assume the taxpayer will soon pay for C-series for Air Canada, and if the NDP get in thats a 1000% sure AC will get them for next to nothing because it looks like the NDP will sweep the Quebec province.
Perhaps slightly exaggerated. Plus, I suspect any government would end up doing something similar. Perhaps wrapped under a somewhat different rhetoric.

It's pretty obvious that AC has been sitting in the wings because they expect sooner or later they'll end up with a better deal one way or another.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Stranger
I suspect you are overly pessimistic.

Once they start delivering cash flow will switch to positive. Which is a matter of months Most of the costs have already been paid for.
well maybe the balance of the two if us will be where is really lands?

Sure, cash flow will be positive once they start selling it (obviously) but they have a long way to go. List price is $62mil, so actual sales will probably average around $55.8mil.

With over $6 billion in the program, and assuming they can actually make around 30% per plane profit once the plane is put together, that is 358 units to break even. I will agree not impossible but a challenge for sure! (by the way, I think 30% is actually generous but I didn't want to be too negative)
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
well maybe the balance of the two if us will be where is really lands?

Sure, cash flow will be positive once they start selling it (obviously) but they have a long way to go. List price is $62mil, so actual sales will probably average around $55.8mil.

With over $6 billion in the program, and assuming they can actually make around 30% per plane profit once the plane is put together, that is 358 units to break even. I will agree not impossible but a challenge for sure! (by the way, I think 30% is actually generous but I didn't want to be too negative)
Survival does not equate to break even on the project. Once they start delivering, money will flow in, which should ensure survival.

(When saying "positive cash flow," I meant the flux direction being positive, I was not meaning a positive discount rate. Which indeed may be quite far down the road.)
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by why fly
I thought the E90 have/or are coming out with a new more efficient plane? New E is perhaps not as good as the C series, but it would be risky buying the c-series now, when so many airlines have passed.
How is the CSeries riskier than the E2? The CSeries has completed most of its flight testing and is delivering at or above spec. The E2 is still only a paper aeroplane.

Both Bombardier and Embraer are known vendors to AC.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
They are reengining the E series. However, the E90 is not really the right size for AC anymore now that they are moving to the sardine can/low price model.

Perhaps slightly exaggerated. Plus, I suspect any government would end up doing something similar. Perhaps wrapped under a somewhat different rhetoric.

It's pretty obvious that AC has been sitting in the wings because they expect sooner or later they'll end up with a better deal one way or another.
I agree any govt is going to throw money into the mess, just like AC every time it fails we just give them more money.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Sorry for jumping into the conversation late in the game, but my two cents are probably as follows:

E190 probably be downloaded for Sky Regional to operate

Mainline E190s be replaced with 787 orders, which from the date of transfer would probably suggest early to mid 2016.

I'm thinking AC would do more major cities/markets, while Sky Regional continue operate on lower capacity routes (like the SEA).

As for Rouge - I'm guess those lower yielding and vacation like routes that wont necessitate mainline / conventional services.
Doesn't the current pilot contract have a cap on the size of aircraft that can be operated by AC Express? I forget the exact number of seats, but I'm pretty sure that there is a seat cap that means that an E75 or CRA is the largest that can be operated by a regional partner. Given that they recently negotiated a long term contract, I wouldn't expect to see any E90 transfers to Express in the short term unless they re-open a recently signed contract, which is unlikely IMO.

As far as 787's replacing E90's, did you mean 737's?

They've rouged a few former E90 mainline routes (YYZ-YLW, YYZ-YYJ I believe), but they are maxed out on 319 rouge transfers, so they could transfer some of the current leisure-heavy E90 routes if they moved some of the higher traffic rouge 319 routes to the rouge 321 or 763's.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by The Lev
How is the CSeries riskier than the E2?
The big question overhanging the CSeries; how will the airplane operate under the riggers of commercial aviation, specifically short hop 9-11 hours per day 6.5 days per week. Typically version 1 of the aircraft uncover numerous operational items that were not uncovered by safety and air worthiness tests during development. E1 series was the first version for Embraer, which the E2 fixes all the operational issues uncovered during commercial operations.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The C Series is tested, but unproven. I think the bigger problem will be inappropriate government intervention which turns a business decision into a political one. We had this problem before when Airbus was able to bribe its way to a huge order with AC, lining all kinds of politician pockets in an action that should have sent countless people to prison and canceled the order - now we have the risk that a new government will step in and force the C Series order to artificially prop up Bombardier, dumping the highly likely "oops sorry about those maintenance problems" fallout on Air Canada, its customers and shareholders.

Is the C Series a good airplane? On paper it appears that way - but no one should be placing a big order until smaller airlines have a few of these aircraft in service for a year or so and we have some reliability and safety statistics to help drive the decision.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
now we have the risk that a new government will step in and force the C Series order to artificially prop up Bombardier, dumping the highly likely "oops sorry about those maintenance problems" fallout on Air Canada, its customers and shareholders.
I don't see how this is possible, the Airbus Affair was when AC was a crown corporation. Now that AC is private the Canadian government is powerless in making AC order any particular aircraft, in fact I imagine it would become quite the WTO issue if they tried to pressure AC. But AC ordering CSeries could (indirectly, of course ) make the GoC continue to take seriously AC's bilateral concerns.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I heard some 319s are going back to mainline.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I heard some 319s are going back to mainline.
That would make sense. I don't think a 319 even with 136 seats can really compete with a 189 seater 738. But a 200 seater 321 can.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:52 pm

An AC manager as my seatmate told me E90's are starting to leave next week.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by gcashin
As far as 787's replacing E90's, did you mean 737's?

They've rouged a few former E90 mainline routes (YYZ-YLW, YYZ-YYJ I believe), but they are maxed out on 319 rouge transfers, so they could transfer some of the current leisure-heavy E90 routes if they moved some of the higher traffic rouge 319 routes to the rouge 321 or 763's.
YYJ-YYZ has not been Rouged and is currently an A320. I don't recall ever seeing an E90 on this route. When I flew this route last Spring, the 320 was quite full in both directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.