Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Fleet Changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would guess the E-190 specific routes like YYZ/SEA (and I think YYZ/PDX) would be gone or reduced to one daily A319R flight.
I'm going to disagree with you there. I highly doubt that YYZ SEA would become Rouged as that's basically a corporate plane for the tech firms in SEA. It's almost always full (at least the many many times I've flown it)
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
I would guess the E-190 specific routes like YYZ/SEA (and I think YYZ/PDX) would be gone or reduced to one daily A319R flight.
AC is retaining a dozen or so mainline A319s for missions like YYZ-SEA.

Another question is what will AC do with YYT-LHR. Domestic J cabin has more in common with premium economy than with international J cabin found on widebody aircraft. Perhaps YYT-LHR should be rouged.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:08 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WR Cage

Another question is what will AC do with YYT-LHR. Domestic J cabin has more in common with premium economy than with international J cabin found on widebody aircraft. Perhaps YYT-LHR should be rouged.
Perfect for YYT-LGW.. Rouged
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by 24left
Who thought this image/chart was a good idea for anyone looking to understand the different configs available?

Do not provide a snark reply. I actually had someone ask me the question and this person does understand the difference between aircraft cabin layouts as shown on the AC fleet pages versus the seat maps shown when looking to book a ticket.
Agreed 24L, the 77W seat map page is a mess. I would suggest that AC drop the distinction between North American and International seat maps and replace with a comment box on each respective sub page to eplain the PE vs PS for NA flights.

A further suggestion would be to add a subfleet on the main page for 77P and differentiate it with 77W. Similar to there are different pages for rouge and mainline 763 & 319.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm going to disagree with you there. I highly doubt that YYZ SEA would become Rouged as that's basically a corporate plane for the tech firms in SEA. It's almost always full (at least the many many times I've flown it)
since AC wont have 319 or E190, it will be difficult to fill a larger replacement plane to SEA. Although Rouge 319 might have as many seats as the newer larger 737?
So there are some tough decision coming for AC, with the new aircraft coming.

Also Y Rouge style seating will be on all 777 and 787 shortly, so tech firms are going to get used to Ryan Air quality very soon if they fly AC.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver

I highly doubt that will happen. On paper it sounds a good idea... higher capacity, shortish flight and a price conscious Newfoundland public who now have 3 options (WS, TS and AC) when we used to only have one.

BUT, they sell the current flight up front as J, if they rouged it would be PY. J yields on this route, given it's just domestic spec are paradoxically high and full of revenue PAX. Unless they had a get out, where they could sell this layout as J and the rest of the non-NA flights as PY, they would lose money by introducing Rouge... partly because of the diminishing of J yeilds (on a route already established as the most expensive on the network, ex-LHR anyway)... but also because except in high season, Y usually isn't sold out either.

In addition, Rouge at LHR could also diminish the brand of mainline at their main non Canadian destination.

If AC decided to Rouge it and send it to Gatwick that would make a lot of sense however. Send all the high yielding passengers through Halifax, and provide everyone else the el-cheapo service to Gatport. That could make sense and I could certainly see it happening. Especially if AC did something similar to WestJet and added extra capacity into YYT on connector flights with the further advantage of opening up another Heathrow slot.

The problem is though, a lot of the YYT traffic is from Europe through Heathrow, so taking away that option then questions how much capacity would be required for the Gatwick flight. To make that work, you'd have to promote it as a Rouge connector onto the domestic network. It could work, but that's a lot of effort.

Status quo for the time being.

Last edited by moorw003; Aug 23, 2015 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb

Agree, I flew it again this year and it's definitely not International J. I remember some discussion from last year pointed out there's no Rouge base in YYT so it wouldn't be easy to re-brand. I see no reason why it can't be turned into PE, it's a lot closer to that product.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:35 pm

Sorry for jumping into the conversation late in the game, but my two cents are probably as follows:

E190 probably be downloaded for Sky Regional to operate

Mainline E190s be replaced with 787 orders, which from the date of transfer would probably suggest early to mid 2016.

I'm thinking AC would do more major cities/markets, while Sky Regional continue operate on lower capacity routes (like the SEA).

As for Rouge - I'm guess those lower yielding and vacation like routes that wont necessitate mainline / conventional services.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by why fly
since AC wont have 319 or E190, it will be difficult to fill a larger replacement plane to SEA. Although Rouge 319 might have as many seats as the newer larger 737?
So there are some tough decision coming for AC, with the new aircraft coming.
Obvious answer... CSeries.

Early delivery slots likely to open up if AC wants them.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shareholder
What was one of the first airlines that went 10 across on the 777? Why it was EK, that paragon airline everyone raves about but fails to talk about its back cabin. If EK hadn't set the new standard, and economics, of the long haul 777 other airlines would still be ordering their new planes with 9 across. Similarly with the 787, it was originally designed with the same seating as the 767, 7 across in the back albeit with a slightly wider cabin to permit true 2-2-2 in the front. Was it UA that started the trend to 9 across, which quickly became the standard (with the Japanese launch airlines switching at the last minute from 7 to 9).

AC has decided if you want more space you pay for it. What's wrong with that if its competitors are doing the same?
From my point of view, I am no fan of anyone, I care only now on an individual ticket if I got good value. I look at all these companies as the same, their goal is to charge me too much and underdeliver. My goal is to pay minimally and receive the best. And it varies plane by plane and airline by airline and route by route now.

One thing though, I flew Emirates once in economy. My first experience with 10 across, and to my recollection no such thing as slim line seats. Given having no room in which to breathe and slim line seat as a choice, I will pick the slim line seats.

Also, the video system has a ton of equipment which exists under the seats, so you're even crushed in this regard.

I never bought another Emirates ticket in economy nor would I ever do that again. I don't even consider Emirates for long haul as I can't afford to blow money on business class fares. The only time it makes sense to me is BKK to Hong Kong where they've dumped half the plane in BKK and the second leg can be had cheaply.

I don't understand anyone who loves Emirates. The staff are indeed great, but I will take a nice plane and hellish staff over nice staff and a hellish plane. I am more comfortable flying on an Air Asia plane than I am on Emirates.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by The Lev
Obvious answer... CSeries.

Early delivery slots likely to open up if AC wants them.
Isn't that like exchanging one chocolate chip cookie....for another almost identical chocolate chip cookie...and then paying extra for the swap?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't that like exchanging one chocolate chip cookie....for another almost identical chocolate chip cookie...and then paying extra for the swap?
Not at all.

E90 sits 94-97 in two class configuration. Engine is old inefficient technology, basically same as the CRJ, even inefficient compared with current versions of the 320/737 (not new generation).

CSeries: CS100 sits at least 108 in two classes, CS300 sits at least 130, more likely 135 in an AC sardine class configuration. Efficiency probably 25 better.

Plus all the signs are that AC is not terribly happy with the EMBs reliability.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not at all.

E90 sits 94-97 in two class configuration. Engine is old inefficient technology, basically same as the CRJ, even inefficient compared with current versions of the 320/737 (not new generation).

CSeries: CS100 sits at least 108 in two classes, CS300 sits at least 130, more likely 135 in an AC sardine class configuration. Efficiency probably 25 better.

I don't believe the Embraer engines are inefficient, quite the contrary - however I haven't followed the C-Series that closely (as I thought the model was DOA), but if they can get additional seats in a similar frame with similar or better efficiency, that would be a good thing - unless the C Series reliability as a new frame ends up being very poor and that will be a big unknown.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe the Embraer engines are inefficient, quite the contrary
They particularly are compared with the geared fan of the CSeries.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not at all.

I thought the E90 have/or are coming out with a new more efficient plane? New E is perhaps not as good as the C series, but it would be risky buying the c-series now, when so many airlines have passed.
I assume the taxpayer will soon pay for C-series for Air Canada, and if the NDP get in thats a 1000% sure AC will get them for next to nothing because it looks like the NDP will sweep the Quebec province.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.