Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Agents refusing to wear their name tags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Agents refusing to wear their name tags

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
A few years back on the YYZ-LHR run there was a pretty senior SD (or FA, can't remember) who used to wear a second brevet under the one that identified him as SD/FA, with the name "Bob Loblaw".

He would introduce himself to pax and invite you to say his name real fast......
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by NoahVail
A number of years ago I was doing some work with an amusement park company in Orlando. One morning I was taken on a tour of the park including backstage. The ‘cast’ member who was with me had received permission to cover her name tag that morning, as I was deemed to be a guest and she would be considered busy serving that guest. Basically, from parking lot to workplace to parking lot, name tags are required ‘costume’ for all ‘cast’ members and I never noticed anyone out of ‘costume’, even backstage.
Basically AC staff are required to wear there name tag. But they are unionized so some staff don't care. Qty of service is hard to control in Canada when employees are unionized.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
There's been a few times I tried to get FA or ground names so I could send AC a positive comment of their employees but they didn't wear their name tags. And they look very bewildered when I say i'm going to write something good to AC for their service and wanted their name.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by kwflyer
It also sends the marketing message that we really don't car about customer service since our customer facing agents can do whatever they want despite the proclamation from the AC reps that they are a customer centric organization
I agree completely. It reinforces the idea that you're dealing with a faceless corporate entity and the employees don't take responsibility for their work.

FWIW, the ground staff at YQT and the FAs on most of our flights don't wear name tags either. I don't know if there's a different policy because it's Jazz/Chorus/AC Express, but it's really unacceptable.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:50 am

Name tags are part of the uniform so ALL frontline AC employees should be wearing them. AC should be enforcing this!

They tend to forget they are (should be) providing customer service and if they are confident they are doing a good job they shouldn't have anything to worry about in wearing a name tag. What this does is people will start taking photo's of employees which will only escalate an already tense situation.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:55 am

There's a bit of a mitigating circumstance about this right now, our new uniform supplier seems to be having a lot of trouble with Brevets (as we call them) right now.

I ordered a new set of them in January, and yet to receive them, and I'm down to my last one.

It's also perfectly acceptable in the uniform standard to wear blank non customized ones.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Arcanum
I agree completely. It reinforces the idea that you're dealing with a faceless corporate entity and the employees don't take responsibility for their work.

FWIW, the ground staff at YQT and the FAs on most of our flights don't wear name tags either. I don't know if there's a different policy because it's Jazz/Chorus/AC Express, but it's really unacceptable.
I had a FA during EYWv3 on around 8 flights who really liked us, and we really liked her, to the point that we got her a box of chocolates. But she refused to give us even her first name.

YQT... ugh. Those GAs, in my opinion, are incompetent. Sheet on the desk that said something like "Zone 1 boarding is in effect to better recognize our premium cabin and Super Elite passengers, and should be called separately." But they called "zones 1 and 2". And then she couldn't even board me properly, and I was met by the concierge at YWG with a bewildered expression, saying "You didn't board the flight!"

I should have sent in a complaint about YQT.

Back on topic, I've found Jazz to be very inconsistent with this. Some don't wear name tags and refuse to give you their name. Some don't wear a name tag, but are happy to give you their name. Others are enthusiastic, saying things like "Hi, I'm Bob, welcome on board."

But I've found that the ones who don't offer their names are generally not the greatest (but that's definitely not a hard rule).
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by canadiancow
YQT... ugh. Those GAs, in my opinion, are incompetent. Sheet on the desk that said something like "Zone 1 boarding is in effect to better recognize our premium cabin and Super Elite passengers, and should be called separately." But they called "zones 1 and 2". And then she couldn't even board me properly, and I was met by the concierge at YWG with a bewildered expression, saying "You didn't board the flight!"
In my experience, there are usually only 4-5 people total between Zones 1 and 2 at YQT, so calling them separately is just a waste of time. Almost everyone up here prefers Porter, so I don't think there are many SEs to offend anyways. My last trip was in paid J so I got Zone 1 for the YQT-YYZ leg. That seemed to really confuse the agent until I showed her my onward boarding passes, so I don't think they get much J traffic either.

In general, I think the service standards on Jazz/Chorus/AC Express are a fair bit lower than AC mainline. The ground staff seem rather inept and the FAs are unenthusiastic if not downright rude. It's one reason why I've changed a lot of my regional flying to Porter.

For various reasons, I've been on a lot of mainline AC flights in the last few months (both domestic and international), and I have to say I've been reasonably impressed. The planes are comfortable (if a bit worn - looking at you, A330 pods!) and the service is friendly and efficient. I even got the chicken on CPH-YYZ last week for the first time in forever!

I'm starting to think that a big part of my generally negative impression of AC comes from my experiences on Jazz rather than AC itself. I think their crappy service is dragging down my opinion of the airline as a whole. It's not a general issue with regional either, BTW. My flights to ORD and LGA on Sky were both fine. It's specifically Jazz/Chorus that's crap-tastic.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by Dorian
Maybe take a photo of them? 😄
Couldn't agree more!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Are you saying AC is running a mickey mouse operation?
Given all the positive comments about service from Disney-trained Rouge FAs, wouldn't that be an upgrade on what we currently get at mainline?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Given all the positive comments about service from Disney-trained Rouge FAs, wouldn't that be an upgrade on what we currently get at mainline?
Would we get FastPasses for check in and security lines? Would we get Magic Bands for lounge entry and boarding? Would there be Dole Whip and character appearances in the MLL? Sounds magical...
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:39 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by i59bravo
Would we get FastPasses for check in and security lines? Would we get Magic Bands for lounge entry and boarding? Would there be Dole Whip and character appearances in the MLL? Sounds magical...
If it led to AC staff consistently enforcing policies like zoned boarding, it would be magical!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Basically AC staff are required to wear there name tag. But they are unionized so some staff don't care. Qty of service is hard to control in Canada when employees are unionized.
disagree!

quality of service is hard to control when the relationship between the manager and the staff is poor. (or the management). Sure, the added level of the union makes it more complex, but if you keep a great relationship between the mgr and employee quality of service can be great!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
disagree!

quality of service is hard to control when the relationship between the manager and the staff is poor. (or the management). Sure, the added level of the union makes it more complex, but if you keep a great relationship between the mgr and employee quality of service can be great!
Exactly! Just like the insistence that a dress code is somehow linked to performance. The biggest factor when it comes to getting the most from employees is employee happiness. You're 100% right ^
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I am confused... this is super old hat of old hats...!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.