Wiki Posts
Search

Reward booking seat assignment

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Reward booking seat assignment

Just a quick question: When J class reward bookings are made is a seat assignment automatically made?

I ask out of simple curiosity because I have been monitoring an October flight early on a Saturday morning (YOW-YYZ) where I class availability has been coming and going on an almost daily basis for over a week now and yet the assigned seats in the J cabin have never changed on the AC seat map.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:44 pm

Last time I booked a Aeroplan business class reward a few weeks ago, seats were automatically assigned.

I-Class disappearing doesn't mean that someone redeemed a reward ticket.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC SE
Any time I've booked a J reward, a seat has automatically been assigned for the AC metal segments.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Me too. In J, it is usually in the last row.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Yes, it is automatically assigned. You can call AE and change it, if you like.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If it's an AE award booking on an AC flight you can usually make a seat change on the AC site under "Manage my bookings" tab.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. I know I have always been assigned seats when booking these flights and I see that most (all) others are too.

So I have to conclude that the frequently changing J(I) award availability is just AC's IT systems doing their magic and responding to, I suppose, changing flight bookings and award demand on other flights throughout the day in question.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
With reward booking, they always assign seats in the row furthest back. This would almost always mean we have to take the step to change the seat to something closer to the front. They could've easily make the default chose, from the closest to the front. But that is just too logical for the IT monkeys to do. They rather make all the customers do more work.

The other day I finally was able to make a booking (after encountering so many aeropeso issues, many error codes...). Then tried to go change seats on the AC metal segments. Turned out they cannot be changed because the ticket hasn't been issued. Had to wait 2 days before the ticket is issued.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yscleo
With reward booking, they always assign seats in the row furthest back. This would almost always mean we have to take the step to change the seat to something closer to the front. They could've easily make the default chose, from the closest to the front. But that is just too logical for the IT monkeys to do. They rather make all the customers do more work.

The other day I finally was able to make a booking (after encountering so many aeropeso issues, many error codes...). Then tried to go change seats on the AC metal segments. Turned out they cannot be changed because the ticket hasn't been issued. Had to wait 2 days before the ticket is issued.
It's interesting in that sometimes the award ticket is issued almost instantly and sometimes it takes days. The most recent award I booked for travel this coming October had the ticket issued immediately and I was able to go online and change seats as soon as I received my itinerary via email (which was within a few seconds of paying the taxes/fees for the booking).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
On Sunday I booked reward J for next weekend YEG-YYZ-EWR-YYC system gave me 2C A320, 1A E175 & 1A E190.

Went in five minutes later and changed it all though, system was nice to me

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Aug 12, 2015 at 9:30 am
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AC SEMM
With reward booking, they always assign seats in the row furthest back. ...
Not so - I just booked one in J (I actually) for my son, who has no status, and was automatically assigned 2A on a 320 - rows further back were empty.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geoflying
Not so - I just booked one in J (I actually) for my son, who has no status, and was automatically assigned 2A on a 320 - rows further back were empty.
I agree. Both my upcoming segments on the 320 were booked into 2A (my favourite 320 seat). On the 777HD I was booked into 5A and 7A (and 7A was available on the flight I was assigned 5A).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
You can change your seat(s) on AC.com after you booked.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
With reward booking, they always assign seats in the row furthest back.
Nope. I just booked a flight on a 320. The only previously assigned seat was 1D, and it put me in 2C.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Hmm. Ok, I don't book J. I usually book econ, and the seat assignment is always the furthest row back. Sounds like for J booking, they do assign you in the front.

Also they don't always issue the ticket right away. So sometimes have to wait days for the ticket to be issued, because I can go change the seat(s).

If they always have the program logic to assign J booking to seats in front, they should be able to apply the same for econ booking. But then again, I guess they pay a lot more attention to J bookings, rather than the commoners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.