Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: 22 hour delay due to missed connection BOS-YUL-LHR - compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 22 hour delay due to missed connection BOS-YUL-LHR - compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Reading these stories, I must be lucky

YVR-YYZ-PHL flight, I don't have status on AC at all. Am slightly too late for my YVR-YYZ Tango flight, but there's another one an hour later where I'll have 1h to connect instead of 2h, so the check-in guy rebooks me on that one and says np.

I walk to the gate, my FIRST PLANE is still there, I'd have easily caught it. anyway. I wait for my flight, take it. We're 30 mins late, not sure what the reason was. I land in YYZ and they're not allowing me to pre-clear. I'd have made the flight, but my luggage wouldn't and they wouldn't allow me to fly without my luggage (? I didn't know that was a thing.)

Anyway, AC paid for mine and like 10 other PAX on the same connection's airport-hotel stay O/N and I was rebooked on the first flight the next morning. Got 3h of sleep but made it in time for my conference the next day. Could've ended worse and was really my fault for not catching the first plane on time.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by obsdk
It was tagged all the way to CPH.
In that case, unless you have been specifically advised at check-in to have to collect your bag at YUL to clear Canadian Customs, you should have following the U.S. to International sign to clear CBSA Primary Inspection to proceed directly to the International departure area as indicated in the link previously appended.

It's too late now but you know next time!

I have send them a message through the online form, explaining the situation and the inconvenience that was caused by the delay. However they have not offered any form of compensation in return.
You should have received an auto-reply with a file no. Allow 2 to 3 weeks for a reply.

I was travelling in business class.
This is absolutely ridiculous and shame on AC.

All International business class passengers are entitled to the Concierge Service. A Concierge agent should have met you at the bridge to give you the new boarding pass, FIM and confirmed to you that the bag would be retagged. The Concierge agent at YUL on duty was obviously not doing his/her job, sleeping on the job or simply lazy.

Next time, if you know before boarding that you'd be delayed, or still at the gate and the door has not closed, ask to see a Concierge agent at the gate at BOS. Request the Concierge agent to alert the Concierge agent at YUL to meet and assist you on arrival. All things fail, go to the Maple Leaf Lounge. There is almost always a Concierge agent there.

Strictly speaking, your entitlement to Concierge service does not begin until you arrive at YUL. If you are travelling on a business class ticket and is making an immediate connection to an International flight, most Concierge agents (those at YYZ excepted) would gladly obliged. The Concierge agents at YYZ are the laziest and rudest in the system unless one has the SE designation.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Strictly speaking, your entitlement to Concierge service does not begin until you arrive at YUL. If you are travelling on a business class ticket and is making an immediate connection to an International flight, most Concierge agents (those at YYZ excepted) would gladly obliged. The Concierge agents at YYZ are the laziest and rudest in the system unless one has the SE designation.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24036898-post1374.html

You are entitled on your entire itinerary.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK/*A Gold, AA, Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus
In that case, unless you have been specifically advised at check-in to have to collect your bag at YUL to clear Canadian Customs, you should have following the U.S. to International sign to clear CBSA Primary Inspection to proceed directly to the International departure area as indicated in the link previously appended.

It's too late now but you know next time!
Thank you for the info. I will try to keep that in mind

You should have received an auto-reply with a file no. Allow 2 to 3 weeks for a reply.
What I have received seems like an official answer (it arrived the next day). It did not say anything about them getting back to me at a later point in time, but it did contain a case number.

This is absolutely ridiculous and shame on AC.

All International business class passengers are entitled to the Concierge Service. A Concierge agent should have met you at the bridge to give you the new boarding pass, FIM and confirmed to you that the bag would be retagged. The Concierge agent at YUL on duty was obviously not doing his/her job, sleeping on the job or simply lazy.

Next time, if you know before boarding that you'd be delayed, or still at the gate and the door has not closed, ask to see a Concierge agent at the gate at BOS. Request the Concierge agent to alert the Concierge agent at YUL to meet and assist you on arrival. All things fail, go to the Maple Leaf Lounge. There is almost always a Concierge agent there.

I will try to keep that in mind.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24036898-post1374.html

You are entitled on your entire itinerary.
Yes, this entitlement is honoured at some stations but it is easier to win the lotto 649 jackpot than finding a Concierge agent at YYZ who would speak to a non-SE flying on an International business class ticket.

I don't have any experience at YUL but it seems that the Concierge agents are just as bad as those at YYZ. They had conveniently omitted to progressively help out OP with his/her misconnection who was flying on a business class ticket.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Yes, this entitlement is honoured at some stations but it is easier to win the lotto 649 jackpot than finding a Concierge agent at YYZ who would speak to a non-SE flying on an International business class ticket.

I don't have any experience at YUL but it seems that the Concierge agents are just as bad as those at YYZ. They had conveniently omitted to progressively help out OP with his/her misconnection who was flying on a business class ticket.
Thanks for the input.

I may just have to write AC back and point this out. Reading about the Concierge Service on their website it seems pretty clear to me that my delay should have been handled by Concierge Service.

One thing I just thought of: When I told the agent who met us at the gate that I was going to London, could it be that she thought I was going to London, ON instead of London, England? Could that be the explanation for this mishap?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the input.

I may just have to write AC back and point this out. Reading about the Concierge Service on their website it seems pretty clear to me that my delay should have been handled by Concierge Service.
I don't agree with that. But to clarify, what I mean is that you had a standard missed connection. Any agent should have been able to deal with this.

I really think the main problem was that you talked to an agent who said you needed to pick up your bags, which was not accurate. If it hadn't been for that, you would have made it (although possibly without your bags).

One thing I just thought of: When I told the agent who met us at the gate that I was going to London, could it be that she thought I was going to London, ON instead of London, England? Could that be the explanation for this mishap?
It's possible, and would explain having to pick up your bags (or is that not required for US to Canada in YUL?). But YUL only has flights to one London, right?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

It's possible, and would explain having to pick up your bags (or is that not required for US to Canada in YUL?). But YUL only has flights to one London, right?
As far as direct flights from YUL to London, ON, there is only a couple of fligthts a day but there are multiple daily connections via YYZ.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:10 am

As far as direct flights from YUL to London, ON, there is only a couple of fligthts a day but there are multiple daily connections via YYZ.
Right, I just mean the agent's reaction when you name a city they fly to is likely going to be to assume you're flying to that city.

Like if you go to YHZ and say "I'm going to Sydney", they're going to assume Nova Scotia, because they have flights there, but not to Australia, even though you can get there through YYZ.

Either way, I think it was that interaction that caused the problem. And I stand by my original assessment. You're not going to get any other compensation without a LOT of effort (and I'm not guaranteeing you'll get anything else, even with a lot of effort).
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:21 am

Thanks for the input.

I would write to AC as a customer "feedback" rather than a "complaint" that the Concierge agent at YUL failed to assist you as advertised.

Customer feedback in theory helps to improve future service delivery. You are doing every non-SE a favour by doing so.

As far as compensation, probably not.

With respect to LON vs. CPH, I personally would stick to the final destination of CPH and let the agent to find the best next available flights for you.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
It could be worse. You could be flying UA, where you wouldn't even get a hotel for a weather delay.
Star Alliance IRROPS rules mandate hotel accommodations for Star Alliance Gold customers facing overnight disruption on intercontinental journeys, and UA and AC agents tend to be pretty knowledgeable about this.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Star Alliance IRROPS rules mandate hotel accommodations for Star Alliance Gold customers facing overnight disruption on intercontinental journeys, and UA and AC agents tend to be pretty knowledgeable about this.
I have no status with AC and have gotten free hotel accommodation for a missed YYZ-PHL connection when I was flying YVR-YYZ-PHL. Was certainly thankful for at least 3h in a bed and the food voucher.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
I've never had an IRROP on an intercontinental trip on UA - only domestic. And I can assure you they won't cover a hotel for a weather related overnight while in transit, whereas AC will.

Either way, this is why all my travel spend goes on my Chase card. The trip delay coverage, while annoyingly low at a $500 limit per "purchase" (i.e. outbound and inbound delay costs cannot exceed $500, which makes it hard if you need a hotel in two expensive cities), is extremely easy to get reimbursed.

If I get stranded, I talk to an agent, ask if they will provide a hotel, and when they inevitably say no, I go arrange my own.

It can sometimes be easier when the airline does it (I've seen AC buy the last 20 rooms at airport hotels, meaning if you're on your own you have to go further), but if you know you can expense a cab ride and a hotel, it can be a lot less stressful.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I've never had an IRROP on an intercontinental trip on UA - only domestic.
This is a standard *A rule. You may not of heard of it, but any agent working a *A inter con flight has.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Direct flights from YUL to YXU exist without going through YTO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.