Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: 22 hour delay due to missed connection BOS-YUL-LHR - compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 22 hour delay due to missed connection BOS-YUL-LHR - compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Asia, Australia has it and I will refrain from comments on other places as I have not experienced myself one way or the other....
Right, but do those countries have exit immigration? I know HKG does, so they need an international area, because you have to go through immigration to leave.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It could be worse. You could be flying UA, where you wouldn't even get a hotel for a weather delay.
Not True I did in FRA last year. Rebooked next day FRA-IAH YYZ on LH A380 in J. With the new lie flats.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by yul36
Not True I did in FRA last year. Rebooked next day FRA-IAH YYZ on LH A380 in J. With the new lie flats.
You're 1K.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It could be worse. You could be flying UA, where you wouldn't even get a hotel for a weather delay.
There seems to be a misconception about "weather delays" and provision of overnight hotel/meal vouchers if required. If the airline has flown you to an intermediate city from which you are continuing on to another city (on the same ticket), any delays and misconnects due to weather are not treated in the same way as a delay or cancellation for passengers originating at that intermediate airport. Once an airline has flown you for at least one segment of your itinerary, they are required to provide lodgin/meals until they can fly you out. If your first flight is cancelled or delayed overnight, however, the airline does not have to provide such accommodation/meals. So OP was entitled to and received a hotel room and meal(s).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You're a 1K. Non-status pax don't necessarily get treated that well.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Shareholder
There seems to be a misconception about "weather delays" and provision of overnight hotel/meal vouchers if required. If the airline has flown you to an intermediate city from which you are continuing on to another city (on the same ticket), any delays and misconnects due to weather are not treated in the same way as a delay or cancellation for passengers originating at that intermediate airport. Once an airline has flown you for at least one segment of your itinerary, they are required to provide lodgin/meals until they can fly you out. If your first flight is cancelled or delayed overnight, however, the airline does not have to provide such accommodation/meals.
There is no such distinction or precision on the AC website:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...fl_delays.html
and no mention of missed connections due to the situation described by the OP.

Without suggesting you are incorrect, my understanding is that AC judged the missed connection was within their control and acted as per their posted policy.

I certainly always understood that, if you miss a connection due to WX delay (or, to use the phrase, outside the control of the airline), you are owed nothing (hence the "On my way" product), even if your trip has started.

Last edited by respectable_man; Aug 14, 2015 at 7:45 pm
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Why would he need to clear Canadian Customs for in this case? If you are clearing customs you better have your bags available.
YUL international and domestic departure areas are the same.

If you connect to an international flight, you can just walk out of the airport.
YVR and YYZ do, but I'm not sure if any other Canadian airports separate international departures from domestic.

I don't even think they do in the US. SFO is definitely connected, and I'm pretty sure EWR is too. But I'm not as well travelled as most here, so I may be hitting the two exceptions.

Europe is different, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that they have exit immigration. In fact, that may be the predominant reason any airport would separate the international departures area.
Information regarding connecting from U.S. to an International flight as posted at AC web site:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...l_us_intl.html

One should NOT need to collect the through-checked bag to clear Canadian Customs, just CBSA Primary Inspection unless specifically advised at check-in.

Apparently a dedicated queue is available for transit/connecting passengers for expedited service.

Last edited by Clipper801; Aug 12, 2015 at 8:36 pm
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by obsdk
Yes, they re-booked me but did not re-tag my luggage. The old tag was still on it when I received it.

No, I did not know about the re-routing before leaving BOS. It was only when I called AC while waiting in YUL for my luggage to be delivered as per the instructions received, that I found out that they had re-booked me on the flight to FRA.
If your bag was through-checked at BOS to CPH, you should not need to collect your bag to clear Canadian Customs unless you're specifically advised to do so at check-in. Please read:

It's worth filling out the online form to customer relation. They may offer you some compensation such as a discount code or an AC Gift Card for future purchase. This is purely goodwill rather than required by law to do so.

The AC agent at YUL should have told you to go directly to the connecting desk for your new boarding pass and re-tag your bag. The system has all the tag no. etc.

I assume that you were travelling in economy class.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
You're 1K.
Was only Gold when it happened. But I did get to use the premier line, so maybe I lucked out.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Was only Gold when it happened. But I did get to use the premier line, so maybe I lucked out.
Star golds also get priority/better treatment during inter continental IRROPS regardless of carrier.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
not really, UA has respect for customers, AC has distane.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
There seems to be a misconception about "weather delays" and provision of overnight hotel/meal vouchers if required. If the airline has flown you to an intermediate city from which you are continuing on to another city (on the same ticket), any delays and misconnects due to weather are not treated in the same way as a delay or cancellation for passengers originating at that intermediate airport. Once an airline has flown you for at least one segment of your itinerary, they are required to provide lodgin/meals until they can fly you out. If your first flight is cancelled or delayed overnight, however, the airline does not have to provide such accommodation/meals. So OP was entitled to and received a hotel room and meal(s).
I find AC does this, but not "an airline".

Originally Posted by why fly
not really, UA has respect for customers, AC has distane.
lol...

SFO-ORD-STL, I land in ORD and find out my flight to STL has been cancelled, and will have to overnight. I get rebooked on a flight the next day, ask for a hotel, and get laughed at. "No, it's a weather delay". I was *G in Y.

I had the same situation in LAX flying SFO-LAX-SAN on AA. No status in paid F. They also rebooked me into Y, and refused to deal with that problem.

Airlines south of the border have never shown me any "respect" when I've been stranded overnight while in transit.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK/*A Gold, AA, Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by respectable_man
There is no such distinction or precision on the AC website:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...fl_delays.html
and no mention of missed connections due to the situation described by the OP.

Without suggesting you are incorrect, my understanding is that AC judged the missed connection was within their control and acted as per their posted policy.
I am assuming that they did. When I received the new boarding cards in Montreal, there was a note that read "Delay controllable" attached to it.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK/*A Gold, AA, Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Clipper801
If your bag was through-checked at BOS to CPH, you should not need to collect your bag to clear Canadian Customs unless you're specifically advised to do so at check-in. Please read:

It was tagged all the way to CPH.

It's worth filling out the online form to customer relation. They may offer you some compensation such as a discount code or an AC Gift Card for future purchase. This is purely goodwill rather than required by law to do so.
I have send them a message through the online form, explaining the situation and the inconvenience that was caused by the delay. However they have not offered any form of compensation in return.

I assume that you were travelling in economy class.
I was travelling in business class.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

A reminder that this thread is not about general compensation policies or other airline compensation policies or politics so let's please stick to the thread topic.

tcook052
AC forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.