Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: 22 hour delay due to missed connection BOS-YUL-LHR - compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 22 hour delay due to missed connection BOS-YUL-LHR - compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
There is still no compensation due. As noted, OP might make a request for a customer service gesture, but it's discretionary and not owed.

Chances are that AC will point out that it was a transit bag and what happened was routine as the bag had to be fished out of transit and processed into Canada. In theory, OP could have walked off with it and not returned.
Would the OP have been allowed to board if the bag was known not to be onboard?

(I understand the original BOS-YUL delay is WX, but it seems to me "second" delay is not since a ticket must have been exchanged to a valid itinerary.)
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It could be worse. You could be flying UA, where you wouldn't even get a hotel for a weather delay.
Top tier members receive hotels during weather on UA.

Getting hotel/food vouchers from AC during Irrops (for whatever reason including weather) is pretty easy. Seen lots of non status pax get these over the years. Although Altitude members generally get higher limits/better hotels, and get vouchers during delays when the kettles have to settle on gate snacks. It is interesting that AC decides to go this route instead of providing better compensation after the fact, thinking this will earn them more goodwill from customers than a select few who file formal complaints.

Last edited by kwflyer; Aug 12, 2015 at 5:23 am
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by respectable_man
Would the OP have been allowed to board if the bag was known not to be onboard?

(I understand the original BOS-YUL delay is WX, but it seems to me "second" delay is not since a ticket must have been exchanged to a valid itinerary.)
Generally not, but YMMV depending on the GA's mood and whether they've been made aware. I've been on lots of flights where my bag is not, but the airlines don't like to make a habit of doing it and don't like to broadcast it to the masses.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
As usual, Often1 is bang on with a clear, correct interpretation/explanation in times of IRROPS. ^
Except not this time.

This isn't IRROPS. This is a bag that didn't transit in time for the OP to make a on on-time flight. Maybe AC should increase connection times if they can't properly deliver baggage to customers in transit.

I'm with the OP.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Top tier members receive hotels during weather on UA.
And foreign *G get laughed at when they ask for a hotel during a 14 hour overnight delay.

I've never even had to ask AC for a hotel - they have always simply provided one for me, and this started well before I was SE.

I don't know what the rules are for traveling with your luggage, but the rebooked itinerary was a 70 minute US to international connection, and the root cause was weather. This is not a case where I would seek compensation.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK/*A Gold, AA, Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
The OP's experience is just another example of how and why direct routings command a premium. I'm NOT blaming the OP but hope there were considerable $ savings routing via YUL (and you can see how AC had seats to fill and was armed with 777HD CASM thus able to scoop TATL PAX exNE USA via fares too good to pass up)
There are no directs flights Copenhagen-Boston so I would have had to connect somewhere.

My reasons for choosing AC included wanting to try out the Dreamliner while also being able to depart at a decent hour (12:15 pm). Another benefit of using AC is the fact that you pass through US Customs and Immigration when connecting at canadian airports like YYZ, thus saving you from the long lines that can be found at ports like IAD, EWR etc.

Another option would have been to fly Lufthansa and connect at FRA or MUC (don't know if they have other ports with service to BOS). At the time of booking this option did not seem as attractive with regards to the type of aircraft, departure time, etc. so I chose not to use LH. On the other hand, this would have provided me the rights of EC261/04 in case of a delay.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by obsdk
I chose not to use LH. On the other hand, this would have provided me the rights of EC261/04 in case of a delay.
Except this delay was caused by weather, so it would have made no difference.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Except this delay was caused by weather, so it would have made no difference.
Initially, yes. It was then further extended because of misinformation by the airline.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by obsdk
.....so AC had rebooked me on a 9:30 pm flight to FRA which would have minimized the delay to approx. 7 hours because of a long layover in FRA. .....

..... Upon arriving in YUL I was instructed by gate staff that I would need to go and pick up my luggage and then proceed to the connections desk. However, my luggage was never delivered at the designated baggage carousel so I had to go to the missing baggage desk. .....
Did you mean AC re-booked you but did not re-tag your bags?

Did you know about the re-routing before you leave BOS?

At YUL, a U.S. to International connection should not require one to collect the bag, clear Canadian Custom and re-check-in.

AC could have re-tagged your bag for you. That's what they (actually the Concierge at YVR) did for me last time when I misconnected (late arrival due to mechanical). I was handed the new boarding pass and was told that my bag would be re-tagged to the new itinerary and I kept my old claim stub. Nothing to do for other than proceeding to the MLL to wait for my flight.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
At YUL, a U.S. to International connection should not require one to collect the bag, clear Canadian Custom and re-check-in.
Why would he need to clear Canadian Customs for in this case? If you are clearing customs you better have your bags available.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Why would he need to clear Canadian Customs for in this case?
YUL international and domestic departure areas are the same.

If you connect to an international flight, you can just walk out of the airport.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Did you mean AC re-booked you but did not re-tag your bags?

Did you know about the re-routing before you leave BOS?

AC could have re-tagged your bag for you. That's what they (actually the Concierge at YVR) did for me last time when I misconnected (late arrival due to mechanical). I was handed the new boarding pass and was told that my bag would be re-tagged to the new itinerary and I kept my old claim stub. Nothing to do for other than proceeding to the MLL to wait for my flight.
Yes, they re-booked me but did not re-tag my luggage. The old tag was still on it when I received it.

No, I did not know about the re-routing before leaving BOS. It was only when I called AC while waiting in YUL for my luggage to be delivered as per the instructions received, that I found out that they had re-booked me on the flight to FRA.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:25 pm

Cool

YUL international and domestic departure areas are the same.

If you connect to an international flight, you can just walk out of the airport.
OK did not know that. I understood that most major airports have transit way from international arrival to international departure. Now I know better to assume.....
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
OK did not know that. I understood that most major airports have transit way from international arrival to international departure. Now I know better to assume.....
YVR and YYZ do, but I'm not sure if any other Canadian airports separate international departures from domestic.

I don't even think they do in the US. SFO is definitely connected, and I'm pretty sure EWR is too. But I'm not as well travelled as most here, so I may be hitting the two exceptions.

Europe is different, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that they have exit immigration. In fact, that may be the predominant reason any airport would separate the international departures area.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:31 pm

YVR and YYZ do, but I'm not sure if any other Canadian airports separate international departures from domestic.

I don't even think they do in the US. SFO is definitely connected, and I'm pretty sure EWR is too. But I'm not as well travelled as most here, so I may be hitting the two exceptions.

Europe is different, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that they have exit immigration. In fact, that may be the predominant reason any airport would separate the international departures area.
Asia, Australia has it and I will refrain from comments on other places as I have not experienced myself one way or the other....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.