Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IFE no longer allows skipping of advertisements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IFE no longer allows skipping of advertisements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yulred
Can't open the links - what's the Coles notes version?....

See my edit above

P.S. I just opened the links on two other devices. They work perfectly.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Wouldn't really use the TV model as an example of a successful model for the future, have you seen the percentage break down by age that actually watch TV? Dying model, although the audience on a plane IS captive...

http://361capital.com/wp-content/upl...millenials.png
Nope.... not if you bring your own content. Next time you are in Y on one of the US carriers, take a look at all the people on tablets, laptops and even phones (and once....I swear to God, I saw a lady reading a book once) and you'll see which way IFE is going.......much like the Dodo.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
See my edit above

P.S. I just opened the links on two other devices. They work perfectly.
Thanks. My browser can be moody.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by yulred
I flew UA longhaul a few months ago. They charged less than AC and their IFE selection was huge in comparison (higher quality too). Can't remember if they had ads though.
I flew AA J/F transborder, price was half of AC to the same destination and no ads on the very new IFE. I think the plane was less than a year old. Nicer than AC's 25 year old A320's.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I flew AA J/F transborder, price was half of AC to the same destination and no ads on the very new IFE. I think the plane was less than a year old. Nicer than AC's 25 year old A320's.
AC's week old 787-9 is nicer than AA's 25 year old 767's
Hardly a fair comparison.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
AC's week old 787-9 is nicer than AA's 25 year old 767's
Hardly a fair comparison.
I was going YYC-ATL. My choice was AA through DFW ( new 319's both legs) or AC through YYZ on the old 320's. No AA 763's involved (although I hear the seats in F are not that bad) I wasn't aware that AC had the 787 in regular service between YYC and YYZ.

AC was $2300 in J, AA was $1100 in F. Easy choice for me. I was pleasantly
surprised by AA, the American airlines have really upped their game recently. Even though it was a long weekend and the planes were full, every AA/US flight I was on left about 5 min before the scheduled time and arrived early. They were full too, but everything went smoothly. I did a mileage run on the way home and did 6 segments, all were punctual.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:51 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

1. Upgrades cheapen the J cabin.
2. People like upgrades.
Ergo
3. People like a cheapened J cabin.
4. Advertisements also cheapen J cabin.
Therefore
5. People like adverts.

It's an enhancement!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KenHamer
2. People like upgrades.
Ergo
Therefore
5. People like adverts.

It's an enhancement!
Your logic is flawless.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

2. People like upgrades.
Ergo
Therefore
5. People like adverts.

It's an enhancement!
The logic is flawed.

You cannot deduce that.

Unless you are Air Canada.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I don't go see movies very often, but last time I went, there were a bunch of commercials before the movie started. I did not read the terms and conditions, but I was specifically paying to see the movie and was subjected to commercials.

Should there be an * on my movie ticket saying I would be be "subject to a forced viewing of ads from which [the theatre] makes additional revenue."?
True but then wouldn't that also have to be on tickets to events, bus tickets, et al?

There is a small level of transparency...when you go to the cinema, they can tell you how much garbage there is before the movie. I showed up 20 minutes late the other day and asked, was told 22 minutes, so I bought a ticket, walked in hadn't missed anything other than some opening credits. It's worse depending on where you go too, in my CAN/USA experience it averages like 18-20 minutes, in Puerto Rico it was 30, in Korea it was like 15, Brazil was less.

My problem with these ads, is they're just around too long. I got so tired of "SO YOU'RE CANADIAN!?" and the guy wandering around SFO. The Enbridge ad is wearing thin too. I'd like to see them go from 1 month (feels standard) down to 2 weeks. But I swear that Porsche ad was around way longer than a month.

Originally Posted by D582
This is probably not the popular opinion but this doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is IFE I have to pay for. I would rather have to watch a couple of ads than have to pay for IFE.

Maybe 90 seconds is too long. If it were say 30 seconds before a TV show and 60 seconds before a film than that might be a more reasonable compromise.

IFE is not free to provide both from a hardware/maintenance perspective and a content perspective so I would rather a few adverts be used to offset the costs than have user fees.
Agreed, I hate UA's inconsistency with the IFE/AVOD/Nothing/Streaming across their fleet, and I have paid for the liveTV or movie once or twice, but I'd much rather watch an ad or two, specially when the dollar isn't worth squat, a $5.99 movie turns into like $8.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 7, 2015 at 10:29 pm Reason: profanity
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
True but then wouldn't that also have to be on tickets to events, bus tickets, et al?

There is a small level of transparency...when you go to the cinema, they can tell you how much garbage there is before the movie. I showed up 20 minutes late the other day and asked, was told 22 minutes, so I bought a ticket, walked in hadn't missed anything other than some opening credits. It's worse depending on where you go too, in my CAN/USA experience it averages like 18-20 minutes, in Puerto Rico it was 30, in Korea it was like 15, Brazil was less.

My problem with these ads, is they're just around too long. I got so tired of "SO YOU'RE CANADIAN!?" and the guy wandering around SFO. The Enbridge ad is wearing thin too. I'd like to see them go from 1 month (feels standard) down to 2 weeks. But I swear that Porsche ad was around way longer than a month.

Agreed, I hate UA's inconsistency with the IFE/AVOD/Nothing/Streaming across their fleet, and I have paid for the liveTV or movie once or twice, but I'd much rather watch an ad or two, specially when the dollar isn't worth squat, a $5.99 movie turns into like $8.
Som Seif has been around longer than a month.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 7, 2015 at 10:29 pm Reason: edit quote
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I actually really dislike that video (if it's the one I'm thinking of - I only looked at the title).
I love that video - it exemplifies the so much of the idiocy that is spewn around here.

It implies that since you're flying, nothing else matters, no matter how bad it is. Or at least that's how people use the video.
It does not imply that nothing else matters, it does imply that before crying tears about not getting something served (meal, drink, blanky, whatever in five minutes or less) that it is a good idea to pause, breathe, relax and have some perspective.

Who cares if you're in a serious car accident? You were driving along paved roads at 100km/h in a metal tube. You can't have everything.
Exactly, you *can't* have everything - no matter how much you may want it.

You might as well shut FT down, because by your definition, every FF problem is a first world problem.
Maybe that's not such a bad suggestion after all.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:50 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

2. People like upgrades.
Ergo
Therefore
5. People like adverts.

It's an enhancement!
Impeccable logic! Just like when I was a camp counselor and I would tell the kids that the plural of moose was meese. One goose, two geese; one moose, two meese
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Irrelevant

Not all people. Sometimes I wish they would do away with the upgrades all together.

Here's a better way to cheapen the J cabin. During a separate discussion someone proposed a monetary percentage discount based on an ever increasing level of spend. After $10k of spend, you get a x% discount for spend between $10,001 - $50,000, then x+3% discount for spend between $50,001 - $75,000 and so on.

That's a model I could buy into, that's a cheapening on the J cabin model I would support!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I have no clue what this thread is about or means.

Monday AC006 on a 777 IFE allowed fastforwarding of ads when I watched tv shows.

Day before yesterday AC1167 on a 788 the IFE had zero ads for tv shows I watched (as per 788 IFE).

Yesterday AC116 on a 321 IFE allowed fastforwarding of ads when I watched tv shows.

Today/last night AC856 on a 777 IFE allowed fastforwarding of ads when I watched tv shows.

I have yet to encounter the 90 second forced view of ads... ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.