Search

"Carrier Surcharge" OMG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Angry "Carrier Surcharge" OMG

Hi-

My parents are planning a trip from Nova Scotia to Europe, and they've saved up their Aeroplan miles for years. I was helping them search for flights, and was happy to find that availability was easy to come by.

Then I was stunned to find $600+ in taxes per person on a "free" economy ticket.

I'm used to United MileagePlus, and there's always some taxes and fees, but not for more than half of the price of the coach airfare. I opened the item-by-item explanation of what was in the fees, and was astounded to see that more than HALF of the "taxes and fees" is an unexplained "carrier surcharge."

Expletives redacted. What is the point of Aeroplan miles when Air Canada does this?

Perhaps we are doing something wrong, and there are more efficient ways to redeem miles with such surcharges. I have never seen an airline do this to its members.

Are we missing something?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
Hi-

My parents are planning a trip from Nova Scotia to Europe, and they've saved up their Aeroplan miles for years. I was helping them search for flights, and was happy to find that availability was easy to come by.

Then I was stunned to find $600+ in taxes per person on a "free" economy ticket.

I'm used to United MileagePlus, and there's always some taxes and fees, but not for more than half of the price of the coach airfare. I opened the item-by-item explanation of what was in the fees, and was astounded to see that more than HALF of the "taxes and fees" is an unexplained "carrier surcharge."

Expletives redacted. What is the point of Aeroplan miles when Air Canada does this?

Perhaps we are doing something wrong, and there are more efficient ways to redeem miles with such surcharges. I have never seen an airline do this to its members.

You know, you're re-trudging up what already exists in about a few dozen separate threads...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip! What's your favorite thread?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Thanks for the tip! What's your favorite thread?
What! You want me to find them for you?! I bill for my time you know
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok ok... some tidbits...

Where in Europe will this be?

LO, SK, and I believe TK do not charge YQ (the so-called and infamous "Carrier Surcharge)...

So give them a try on your AE redemptions...

Loosely put, if you had some AC status then you would be exempt from the YQ this benefit year...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Mom and Dad are D-Black. I guess that's not enough to help, despite the reading I've just been doing on this site at your recommendation. (Honestly, thanks, searching did of course yield some info.)

Going to AMS, so flexible, but since the departure airport is YHZ, there's nothing non-stop to Europe other than the AC YHZ-LHR flight.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:31 am

Basically the rule of thumb is avoid Air Canada and Lufthansa for the trans-Atlantic portion to avoid high carrier surcharges.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Rule of thumb, collect Aeroplan points on Air Canada and partners, never fly with Aeroplan points on Air Canada.

If you redeem AP on AC, simply bend over, grab your ankles, and enjoy the ride and just to add a bit of fun, do this on Rouge...........the irony here is that the seat pitch is so poor you really cant bend over......

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Aug 2, 2015 at 9:50 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mom and Dad are D-Black. I guess that's not enough to help, despite the reading I've just been doing on this site at your recommendation. (Honestly, thanks, searching did of course yield some info.)

Going to AMS, so flexible, but since the departure airport is YHZ, there's nothing non-stop to Europe other than the AC YHZ-LHR flight.
Can you have them go through YYZ to minimize the YQ and then do SK via CPH or ARN to AMS?

Yes, roundabout, but you would avoid the TATL YQ hit.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: AC*S, Delta Skymiles

ALTITUDE Status - not AEROPLAN Status - is what waves YQ this year.
I suggest flying down to Boston - then getting any one of the non-YQ Carriers - including Swiss - to connect up to AMS.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:10 am

Check my signature thread on How to save YQ to Europe!!

added for mobile users
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...demptions.html

For AMS, I suggest looking into UA flights, like ORD/EWR/IAD-AMS if possible
anyway, my thread has more options

Last edited by jerryhung; Aug 2, 2015 at 10:18 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:14 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Welcome to Aeroplan! Count yourself lucky that the website was up and working long enough for you to get to that page!

This is the most helpful thread as Jerry mentioned (I think it is the one in his sig but they don't show up on mobile)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1666055-how-save-money-yq-aeroplan-europe-redemptions.html
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:20 am

Hi-

Air Canada called it 'Fuel Surcharge' in the past, until people were pointing out that the surcharge exceeded the total per-seat fuel costs.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the pointers. Very helpful.

If only Porter Air flew to YYZ and I could avoid AC altogether.

Not sure how you put up with all of this. I guess monopolies are excellent for consumers?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
It would be lovely if we could consolidate these outrage threads into one, lumped with all the cbc articles and videos of the same subject.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.