Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Questions about flying off to Japan in october

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about flying off to Japan in october

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER
If business seats are now available on the flight you selected then phone Aeroplan and make the change. No change fee should apply in this case, just revised taxes and surcharges (if applicable). You've already paid the points for the cabin on that flight, now you're just getting the product you purchased.

Note this is only applicable for changes made in advance on your originally booked flight. Switching flights would incur a change fee. Also, on UA you will not be eligible for upgrade at the gate.
As stated in the first post, (s)he's currently booked on AC in Y. UA in J has opened up. So there would be a change fee.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
As stated in the first post, (s)he's currently booked on AC in Y. UA in J has opened up. So there would be a change fee.
Oops. Misread OP and got info mixed up when another poster mentioned UA's rules being applicable). I'd simply standby for an upgrade on original flight on day of departure or setup an Expertflyer alert for business availability on AC flight and change as suggested in my previous post).

AFAIK since this is an Aeroplan ticket (and therefore I assume issued by AC, especially since first leg is by AC) the MLL agent has the ability to lookup and confirm a J reward and grant access (IIRC Ben L posted previously that this was permissible).
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Oops. Misread OP and got info mixed up when another poster mentioned UA's rules being applicable). I'd simply standby for an upgrade on original flight on day of departure or setup an Expertflyer alert for business availability on AC flight and change as suggested in my previous post).

AFAIK since this is an Aeroplan ticket (and therefore I assume issued by AC, especially since first leg is by AC) the MLL agent has the ability to lookup and confirm a J reward and grant access (IIRC Ben L posted previously that this was permissible).
What's "permissible" and what an agent is going to do aren't necessarily the same thing

I agree that just standing by for an upgrade on the existing AC flights is a reasonable option.

Or wait until you want to make a bigger change to the itinerary, and then tack on this AC to UA switch as well. But it's probably not worth $90 each just for that short flight.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by The Lev
How are UA's rules different?
Partner lounges are available to customers traveling on same-day tickets in United Global FirstSM or United BusinessFirst® and Star Alliance® Gold members at select airport locations. To access partner lounges, customers must present their same-day United international boarding pass or a valid MileagePlus Premier® Gold or Premier Platinum card with the Star Alliance Gold logo. See below for eligibility details.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ations/bf.aspx
Well, just as a heads up, ANA has the same kind of clause, but refused lounge access on a domestic Y segment even though we arrived on a J segment.

Priority tags were also taken off.

My 2c
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
What's "permissible" and what an agent is going to do aren't necessarily the same thing

I agree that just standing by for an upgrade on the existing AC flights is a reasonable option.

Or wait until you want to make a bigger change to the itinerary, and then tack on this AC to UA switch as well. But it's probably not worth $90 each just for that short flight.
How do you request a standby for upgrade? At the check in counter or at the gate?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Ichinensei
How do you request a standby for upgrade? At the check in counter or at the gate?
Do it at check-in. If you have a business or first class Aeroplan redemption with a segment on AC metal confirmed in economy, you can explain this to the check-in agent, and they can put you on the upgrade list.

It's not guaranteed, and you're pretty low down the list, but you're at least on the list.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
so i checked today, and shockingly, there were two J seats in the AC leg that i am flying.. on an Embraer with only 9 J seats no less. So i called them and upgraded my seats. Had to pay $5.80 more. 1A and 2A.. Surprised there were any seats left for 2 months out.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by The Lev
How are UA's rules different?
Partner lounges are available to customers traveling on same-day tickets in United Global FirstSM or United BusinessFirst® and Star Alliance® Gold members at select airport locations. To access partner lounges, customers must present their same-day United international boarding pass or a valid MileagePlus Premier® Gold or Premier Platinum card with the Star Alliance Gold logo. See below for eligibility details.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ations/bf.aspx
There is a condition to "same day tickets", that all flights have to be on the same file number.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Do it at check-in. If you have a business or first class Aeroplan redemption with a segment on AC metal confirmed in economy, you can explain this to the check-in agent, and they can put you on the upgrade list.

It's not guaranteed, and you're pretty low down the list, but you're at least on the list.
It's actual near the top of the list, but all waist listed pax go first.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
It's actual near the top of the list, but all waist listed pax go first.
Huh?

It's sorted by status, then fare class, where an X fare is the lowest "revenue" fare class.

So if you have no status, you're above employees, but below everyone else.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Huh?

It's sorted by status, then fare class, where an X fare is the lowest "revenue" fare class.

So if you have no status, you're above employees, but below everyone else.
You are talking about being waitlisted for J. Being waitlisted is different than standby.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:37 pm

You are talking about being waitlisted for J. Being waitlisted is different than standby.
Right...

It's:

1. Revenue passengers confirmed in Y, waitlisted for J
1a. Non-status Aeroplan X fares confirmed in Y waitlisted for J
2. Employees confirmed in Y waitlisted for J
3. Revenue passengers confirmed on another flight in J, waitlisted for this flight in J

So if there are five seats and there are five people trying to eUp, you're not going to get it.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Right...

It's:

1. Revenue passengers confirmed in Y, waitlisted for J
1a. Non-status Aeroplan X fares confirmed in Y waitlisted for J
2. Employees confirmed in Y waitlisted for J
3. Revenue passengers confirmed on another flight in J, waitlisted for this flight in J

So if there are five seats and there are five people trying to eUp, you're not going to get it.
I believe your order is correct, except Aeroplan X fare confirmed in Y are on standby for J not waitlisted.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Aug 4, 2015 at 3:53 pm
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:58 pm

I believe your order is correct, except Aeroplan X fare confirmed in Y are on standby for J not waitlisted.
Not according to Ben, but "standby" is point #3 on my list, which would put them even lower.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Not according to Ben, but "standby" is point #3 on my list, which would put them even lower.
Ben may have said waistlisted, but last Oct, flying back from Washington D.C., my confirmation print out noted that I was standby for J, not waitlisted. This was for my flight from DCA to YYZ. I was confirmed in J for YYZ to YVR. I did not get J class, as 3 pax below my status got the seats. I did show the FA my confirmation and got free drinks/snacks for the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.