Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Award ticket reinstatement/rebooking

Award ticket reinstatement/rebooking

Old Jul 25, 15, 11:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,091
Award ticket reinstatement/rebooking

Hi all, quick question for the aeroplan experts, as I've been away from the action for a little while.

I'm assuming the 21 day, double $90CAD reinstatement method is still available?

Backstory - I canceled two one way J awards last September, and the tickets are currently just floating out there ready to be re ticketed. If I understand this method correctly, I can just rebook two J tickets for the 3rd or 4th week of August one day, and the next day call to cancel and redeposit, correct?

Thanks in advance for the help.
longhorn11 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 15, 3:41 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,091
I realize this is a beginner type question, but a simple yes/no would really be appreciated before I spend $360. To further explain, my question mainly stems from seeing people immediately reschedule and then canceling. In the few searches I ran, I didn't run across anyone's tickets being canceled, "held" for an extended amount of time, rescheduled, and then canceled to reinstate. I would assume it's the same policy, but as I said above, I've been out of the FF game for quite a few months. Thanks.
longhorn11 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 15, 4:28 pm
  #3  
Formerly known as newbie elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: YUL
Programs: Free Agent
Posts: 2,310
Usually when no one answers it is due to the fact that no one has an answer or no one understands the question. I for one have never heard of this reinstatement method or cancelled AE tickets just floating around. Doesn't mean it is not possible but I honestly have no clue what you are talking about. Weren't the points redeposited when you originally cancelled???
Admiral Ackbar is offline  
Old Jul 26, 15, 4:39 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,091
That's what I was afraid of, I thought maybe it wasn't clear. Thanks for the response though! Here's hopefully a better explanation...

Basically, the agent canceled the 2 tickets, saying they could be used within a year of travel because I had to cancel within the 21 day range. At the time of cancellation, I could rebook or keep the PNR for future use.

At the time, I thought I was going to use them later in 2014, but didn't do an immediate rebooking. Since the 1 year expiration is approaching, I need to get something figured out.

I had always heard you could rebook for $90, and pick a date more than 21 days out to open up the possibility of redepositing the miles. So basically, I would have to pay $90 to reticket, and then $90 again to redeposit.
longhorn11 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 15, 7:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Posts: 593
I don't think you can do this. The agent can usually see the history of the ticket and therefore would know that it's not eligible for reinstatement but maybe some people have gotten away with it. You might be out $90 if it doesn't work.
philelite is offline  
Old Jul 26, 15, 9:03 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Posts: 956
I think what I have seen people do (please correct me if I'm wrong) is when they're within the 22-day window, change the ticket to a date further out, then cancel. The problem is you've already cancelled, so I don't think it will work for you.
Twickenham is offline  
Old Jul 26, 15, 10:03 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,091
Gotcha. Thanks for the responses.

On second thought, I'm not sure if they were officially canceled, as I never received an email confirmation or anything. Would they be canceled if I didn't fly, or would they just be floating out there able to be reticketed? If they were not canceled, then maybe I could do the 21/22 day thing? I'm going to call in the morning to see what the current status is, as I'm now not 100% sure.

Most of my travel is with AA and WN, so I'm used to their procedures re cancellations, etc. Again, thanks for the help!

Last edited by longhorn11; Jul 26, 15 at 10:10 pm
longhorn11 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 15, 10:16 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,661
Originally Posted by longhorn11 View Post
That's what I was afraid of, I thought maybe it wasn't clear. Thanks for the response though! Here's hopefully a better explanation...

Basically, the agent canceled the 2 tickets, saying they could be used within a year of travel because I had to cancel within the 21 day range. At the time of cancellation, I could rebook or keep the PNR for future use.

At the time, I thought I was going to use them later in 2014, but didn't do an immediate rebooking. Since the 1 year expiration is approaching, I need to get something figured out.

I had always heard you could rebook for $90, and pick a date more than 21 days out to open up the possibility of redepositing the miles. So basically, I would have to pay $90 to reticket, and then $90 again to redeposit.
Originally Posted by longhorn11 View Post
Gotcha. Thanks for the responses.

On second thought, I'm not sure if they were officially canceled, as I never received an email confirmation or anything. Would they be canceled if I didn't fly, or would they just be floating out there able to be reticketed? If they were not canceled, then maybe I could do the 21/22 day thing? I'm going to call in the morning to see what the current status is, as I'm now not 100% sure.

Most of my travel is with AA and WN, so I'm used to their procedures re cancellations, etc. Again, thanks for the help!
I think this is what you meant? it's doable for sure

Sunday Reader Question: How to Refund Aeroplan Ticket Within 22 Days Before Departure
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/07...ore-departure/

jerryhung is offline  
Old Jul 26, 15, 10:26 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,091
That's exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for posting that!

I just wasn't sure since I didn't rebook immediately, if somehow that changed my options going forward. I remember talking about all of this with the agent back in September, but a lot has happened between then and now .
longhorn11 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 15, 6:44 am
  #10  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,519
OP, I think the fact you said your "1-year" expiration is approaching and you need rebook your travel soon, this also imply to your travel dates also approaching the "1-year from date of booking". This mean, you can't book flights that are beyond 1-year from the date you made your booking in 2014. You can try call Aeroplan and provide the reason why you can't use it before it expire and see if a manager can provide an exception, but it is no guarantee.

Good Luck
alc is offline  
Old Jul 27, 15, 12:49 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,091
Originally Posted by alc View Post
OP, I think the fact you said your "1-year" expiration is approaching and you need rebook your travel soon, this also imply to your travel dates also approaching the "1-year from date of booking". This mean, you can't book flights that are beyond 1-year from the date you made your booking in 2014. You can try call Aeroplan and provide the reason why you can't use it before it expire and see if a manager can provide an exception, but it is no guarantee.

Good Luck
Haven't the chance to call yet, but I think I'm ok with the dates. I actually ticketed these the day before I was supposed to travel. It was a last minute thing, that got changed.
longhorn11 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 15, 8:25 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,091
Got in touch with someone this afternoon. The gentleman I spoke with said if I can find 2 seats 23 days out and cancel the next day, I'm good. Bottom line, it'll cost me $360 total, but I'll be able to keep 90k pts. Sucks that I couldn't use it, but stuff happens. Anyways, for future reference I figured I'd update the thread. Once the miles actually hit my account, I'll stop back by to confirm it all worked as planned. Thanks again everyone.
longhorn11 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 15, 10:33 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,661
Originally Posted by longhorn11 View Post
Got in touch with someone this afternoon. The gentleman I spoke with said if I can find 2 seats 23 days out and cancel the next day, I'm good. Bottom line, it'll cost me $360 total, but I'll be able to keep 90k pts. Sucks that I couldn't use it, but stuff happens. Anyways, for future reference I figured I'd update the thread. Once the miles actually hit my account, I'll stop back by to confirm it all worked as planned. Thanks again everyone.
$360 ouch indeed for 90K
but unless you can find family/friends to book something for them, you don't have many options left

Good to know the method still works, as it should
jerryhung is offline  
Old Aug 8, 15, 9:31 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,091
Forgot to update this thread. Got the miles redeposited for a drastically reduced fee. I was on hold for appox. 2 hours and 30 min, so I think that might have been a factor in the discount...
longhorn11 is offline  
Old Aug 8, 15, 10:54 pm
  #15  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 10,974
I really wish I had known about this 5 years ago when my dad got stuck in an Italian hospital while we were on a bike trip and we had to cancel the back half of our itinerary. That's 50K points I never got back or any use of. Not Aeroplan's finest moment though, zero sympathy for a medical emergency.
Adam Smith is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: