Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@keneshhagard

Replying to your post in the Special Meals thread

Originally Posted by keneshhagard
Hi all,

I have my first flight on Air Canada J from MUC - Montreal and wanted to know if there is a standard vegetarian option on the menu?

If not has anyone had experience with VLML (Vegetarian Lacto Ovo) meal in J?

Thanks,
Nikesh

When I used to order the Lacto-Ovo, I received some "lacto" and some "ovo" and the meal was rather decent.

However, recent experience was this meal (in post link below) was provided. It was not what I ordered and you can read my review as well as suggestions from me and others on bringing along some snacks - just in case.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26553496-post194.html

Last edited by 24left; Oct 19, 2017 at 11:12 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by keneshhagard
Hi all,

I have my first flight on Air Canada J from MUC - Montreal and wanted to know if there is a standard vegetarian option on the menu?

If not has anyone had experience with VLML (Vegetarian Lacto Ovo) meal in J?

Thanks,
Nikesh
Are you sure you are flying MUC-YUL on AC and not LH? Because last I checked AC doesn't have MUC-YUL direct. If you are in fact flying LH J, then you posted the question in the wrong forum. If you are flying MUC-YYZ-YUL or MUC-FRA-YUL in J on AC, then like yyznomad said, the pasta is vegetarian (but not vegan). Better yet, have some decent meals on the ground before your TATL flight, so you won't have to put up with crappy airline food.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
Sorry it was MUC - Toronto on AC.

So here was my experience:

I did the special meal and well since I'm allergic to chickpeas/hummus on one of the plates there definitely was some. But the salad and the other items were decent.

It was a tomato/mozzarella/arugala salad
A veggie plate with asparagus, rolled cucumbers, peppers, and hummus dots on cucumbers (the food was well seasoned)
Main course I wasn't sure but it had rice and some kind of orange blob

pre-landing meal was a cheese and mixed pepper salad (this was good too)

On the Toronto - SFO segment ---> Chickpea salad. The cabin crew was super nice enough to let me swap for the pasta dish.

There is a standard pasta option on this segment so next time I'll opt to get that instead of a special meal order.

Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Tried to order a special meal for a domestic J segment, was told special meals can only be reserved for international flights, and that on domestic J, the only choices will be whatever menu options are offered onboard. I thought BS, but thinking back to my recent domestic J/PY flights I do seem to recall AC not loading my usual special meals. So is it true that special meals are no longer offered for domestic and transborder J/PY flights?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YYT82
Tried to order a special meal for a domestic J segment, was told special meals can only be reserved for international flights, and that on domestic J, the only choices will be whatever menu options are offered onboard. I thought BS, but thinking back to my recent domestic J/PY flights I do seem to recall AC not loading my usual special meals. So is it true that special meals are no longer offered for domestic and transborder J/PY flights?
Considering just earlier this month the person next to me in J on a domestic flight had a special meal, that sound like BS to me. So take what you want from that.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Just tell the agent to just put in the request using the normal commands in the system to reserve a special meal, "end" (save) the PNR and see if the response is "HK" (confirmed) or "NO"(sometimes "UN").
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
HUCA. Whoever you spoke to is wrong. I've had special meals on domestic transcons.

Ordering is is usually not a problem. Have AC's catering board the meals is another conversation (and you'll see posts in the threads about that issue)
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LT PE, NEXUS/GE
I ordered the Vegetarian Jain meal on a recent TCON flight. My salad was a bed of baby spinach with portobello mushrooms, asparagus and tomatoes. The main was a chickpea curry with basmati rice and steamed broccoli. I actually enjoyed the meal, it was simple but tasty. The dessert was a bowl of fruit.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Another special meal experiment; another failure. Finally fed up with AC's apparent indifference to this topic, I just decided to write in with the below message. Will keep you guys posted on the response (if any).
A year has gone by, and Air Canada has clearly decided not to make any improvements in this area. So I decided to write again today:

Dear Air Canada Team,

As someone with dietary restrictions, I have long struggled with the food choices offered onboard Air Canada flights, even in Business Class. I've tried ordering numerous special meals, including Diabetic, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Vegetarian, and Vegan Meals, and have yet to find something that meets my dietary requirements.

As you may know, diabetics need to keep a close eye on their blood sugar levels. I've noticed that in all of the aforementioned special meals, Air Canada tends to serve ample amounts of white rice, potatoes, fruit, and sweetened yoghurt, all of which are high in starch and thus sugar content. White rice in particular is considered especially dangerous for at-risk diabetics: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...diabetes-risk/

I've written in on this issue before (ABDA-19SLNS1 12/23/2016 17:17:04), but haven't observed any changes in the last year, and after my most recent trip to and from Taipei, I felt obliged to bring this up again. In the attached photo, you can see the "Diabetic Meal" offered on AC11 in Premium Economy (the return leg AC12 was very similar). The large portion of white rice, white bread, and fruit are all foods diabetic patients are advised to avoid.

Thankfully, the crew on both flights was very caring and creative, piecing together things from the leftover regular meals for me so I didn't go hungry. I especially want to pass along my compliments to Flight Attendant Wendy and Service Director Takashi on AC12 on Nov 24, 2017.

That being said, I strongly suggest Air Canada take another look at its special meal offerings. For a long time, I've simply accepted this as a reality of flying with Air Canada. But as a Super Elite customer who has seen how other airlines can accommodate passengers with dietary restrictions, I'm quite disappointed in Air Canada's performance in this area. For example, would it be that difficult to swap out the white rice and white bread with brown rice and wheat bread?

From speaking to my fellow frequent flyers of Air Canada, I know I'm not the only one disturbed by these observations. I really hope Air Canada's management team will take this complaint seriously and review the food options offered to its premium cabins and most loyal customers.

Thank you,
c.
Decided to include a picture this time:

Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:02 pm

A year has gone by, and Air Canada has clearly decided not to make any improvements in this area. So I decided to write again today:
Kudos to a very quick response on a weekend (less than 12 hours), but the substance is disappointing:

Dear _____________,

Thank you for your email. Air Canada appreciates your continued customer loyalty and we are grateful to have received your feedback regarding your experience with our meals offered onboard for diabetic passengers.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the meals that you have received onboard our flights, including your most recent travel to Taipei. We are very sorry to hear that the special meals you have requested to meet your health and medical needs, have repeatedly missed the mark. Please know that your comments have been forward to our catering managers for internal review.

Air Canada regrets the impression you have been left with and does not wish for you to remain disappointed. As a gesture of goodwill, and as a means of saying thanks for your valuable insight, 5,000 Altitude non-qualifying miles will be added to your account shortly.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, _____________. Air Canada hopes for the opportunity to welcome you onboard again soon in hopes of impressing you more favorably with our meal selections for diabetic passengers.

Sincerely,

Dear ___________ (cc: Concierge Desk),

I appreciate the quick response and kind goodwill gesture.

That being said, I would like to reiterate that this is an ongoing issue I've experienced for years and written in on numerous occasions about. Each time, I've received a polite response assuring something similar to the below ("your comments have been forward to our catering managers for internal review"). While it's great to know my comments are being forwarded to the appropriate individuals at the company, what will it take for some action to be taken? Meals comprising significant amounts of white rice and white bread are simply inappropriate for diabetic passengers. No physician, nutritionist, or health expert would advise a diabetic to eat anything resembling Air Canada's "DBML"-designated special meals.

Please let me know if and once some concrete actions have been taken to address this issue. I will be the first one to give credit where it is due once I observe some progress.

Thank you very much.

Best,
c
​​​​​
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: TK *G
Kudos to a very quick response on a weekend (less than 12 hours), but the substance is disappointing:

And I let them know as much:

​​​​​
Thanks for posting.

I am surprised that Ac responded this quickly given it's Saturday here in North America, or is it an indication that AC outsourced their customer relation team to a different country?

I think we should take pictures of SPMLs from other airlines and send them to AC.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC

Decided to include a picture this time:

What a depressing "special meal" in business class

I've had a better entree on Via Rail on a $140 ticket that took 40 minutes from station to station.!!!!!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
What a depressing "special meal" in business class

I've had a better entree on Via Rail on a $140 ticket that took 40 minutes from station to station.!!!!!
To be fair, that was in PY. But I've tried DBMLs, LCMLs, and LFMLs in J that looked nearly identical to that sad, meagre piece of tasteless chicken accompanied by a few pieces of mushy vegetables and a giant heap of white rice.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
To be fair, that was in PY. But I've tried DBMLs, LCMLs, and LFMLs in J that looked nearly identical to that sad, meagre piece of tasteless chicken with a side of white rice.
Many airlines, and many prisons in the United States, for that matter indicate that special meals cost the institution more than a regular meal.

I'm convinced that on Air Canada it's the opposite. My immediate family has special needs when it comes to meals and in 100% of the times that we've flown together on Air Canada, I've never been bothered to take a photo. They are usually as terrible as the ones you have posted.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
First, I'd like to point out the "Altitude non-qualifying miles".

I think this is the first time I've seen AC refer to anything like that.

Second, the best option for a diabetic, in my humble opinion, is whatever looks best from the regular menu.

Just make sure you actually get Coke Zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.