Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan award availability vs. United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

It's been a while since I booked an award using Aeroplan. Previously the United award calendar and Aeroplan award calendar matched well--most everything that showed as available on United was also available on Aeroplan as an award.

For my most recent searches (MUC-CLT, ie on July 29) none of the awards available on United are available on Aeroplan and vice-versa.

For MUC-CLT, United shows 2 first class seats available on the non-stop MUC-CLT, Aeroplan doesn't show this option at all.

Aeroplan, however, shows availability MUC-FRA (business), FRA-ORD (first) ORD-CLT (first), which is not available on United.

Anyway, just wondered if this is the same experience as others have had. I find the United award calendar easier to use, but it now appears useless in regards to finding Aeroplan award availability.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You're looking at the blue saver awards right?

I suspect you could call Aeroplan and book anything that's actually available. I can also understand why a two-stop might not show up on UA if a nonstop is available.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by jchock1
It's been a while since I booked an award using Aeroplan. Previously the United award calendar and Aeroplan award calendar matched well--most everything that showed as available on United was also available on Aeroplan as an award.

For my most recent searches (MUC-CLT, ie on July 29) none of the awards available on United are available on Aeroplan and vice-versa.

For MUC-CLT, United shows 2 first class seats available on the non-stop MUC-CLT, Aeroplan doesn't show this option at all.

Aeroplan, however, shows availability MUC-FRA (business), FRA-ORD (first) ORD-CLT (first), which is not available on United.

Anyway, just wondered if this is the same experience as others have had. I find the United award calendar easier to use, but it now appears useless in regards to finding Aeroplan award availability.
I'm glad you brought this up. I've been noticing the same thing.

I'm traveling FRA>TPA. As an example on July 28th
United shows 4 flights on LH in F
Aeroplan shows zero flights on LH in F

Last week, Aeroplan use to show the LH F flight on FRA>EWR but then the EWR>TPA would leave the next morning. Yuk.

So the best thing to do would be to call in to Aeroplan and feed the dates and flight numbers?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're looking at the blue saver awards right?

I suspect you could call Aeroplan and book anything that's actually available. I can also understand why a two-stop might not show up on UA if a nonstop is available.
Yes, on United, just looking at blue saver awards.

Other examples:

Aeroplan doesn't show the 2 first class seats on LH MUC-CLT on August 4th, either, that appear on United, or the same flight in business on August 11th and 13th that shows available for award tix on United.

I've not yet tried calling to see what the agents see and can book.

Last edited by jchock1; Jul 21, 2015 at 9:37 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've read about LH "phantom availability" in the past, so I wonder if that's what's going on.

The YQ on LH flights is high enough that I can't even imagine the AC-haters saying that they're doing it on purpose
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:58 pm
mkl

Hi, first time post.

Same thing has been happening to me for past 2 months.
it is very annoying.
i called aeroplan and they just said that what you see is what i see.

I too want to find out if they are doing it on purpose.
maybe i should call up singapore and find out their UA availability

Today i got an EWR to SNA for 8/6/2015 from Aeroplan.
I was trying to get a morning EWR to LAX flight.
and united has 7AM / 8AM and 9:30 PM available.

i checked with my dummy UA account. the class of the seat is X.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.