Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Mileage earned when combined PE and Economy sectors flown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but have been unable to find an answer. I'm flying YYT-YYZ-CPH in a couple of weeks time booking into PE for AC882 YYZ-CPH (first time on the B788!). Naturally PE is not available for YYT-YYZ on an E90 so I'll be in Y (hopefully e-uping to J). I know I get the +25% COS bonus for YYZ-CPH but do I get it for YYT-YYZ as well?

This qualifies as the first ever conscious mileage run I've ever done albeit a modest one. I could fly YYT-LHR-CPH and it would take longer but I fancied the routeing via YYZ for a few more precious AQM's. As it is the likelyhood of no J Asia trip in my travel plans for this year will drop me from E75 to E35. TATL travel from YYT to LHR is slim pickings for AQM's, particularly with the Tango/Flex differential.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:35 am
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but have been unable to find an answer. I'm flying YYT-YYZ-CPH in a couple of weeks time booking into PE for AC882 YYZ-CPH (first time on the B788!). Naturally PE is not available for YYT-YYZ on an E90 so I'll be in Y (hopefully e-uping to J). I know I get the +25% COS bonus for YYZ-CPH but do I get it for YYT-YYZ as well?

This qualifies as the first ever conscious mileage run I've ever done albeit a modest one. I could fly YYT-LHR-CPH and it would take longer but I fancied the routeing via YYZ for a few more precious AQM's. As it is the likelyhood of no J Asia trip in my travel plans for this year will drop me from E75 to E35. TATL travel from YYT to LHR is slim pickings for AQM's, particularly with the Tango/Flex differential.
If you booked this as PE on one itinerary, AC should book you into Latitude (B) for the domestic segment, thus giving you your 25% COS for that segment.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat

Yes, You get the 25% bonus.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by CT1
If you booked this as PE on one itinerary, AC should book you into Latitude (B) for the domestic segment, thus giving you your 25% COS for that segment.
Why would AC book you into Latitude? This would be a down grade. If PE is not avail on a aircraft, you are still booked in PE. This is important, because it puts you ahead of all other fares(DOM) for upgrades. My wife is 75K and on our flight last week, upgraded before SE flying Dom.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Haven't got the booking details from our Corporate TA but its all in one itinerary YYT-YYZ-CPH-LHR-YYT. The CPH-LHR-YYT legs will be in Y but, on AC at least, in a Flex fare bucket.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1

Why would AC book you into Latitude? This would be a down grade. If PE is not avail on a aircraft, you are still booked in PE. This is important, because it puts you ahead of all other fares(DOM) for upgrades. My wife is 75K and on our flight last week, upgraded before SE flying Dom.
For the domestic portion you are booked in B as PE booking classes don't exist for those legs.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by 172pilot
For the domestic portion you are booked in B as PE booking classes don't exist for those legs.
Yes - That's true. The "PE" priority is only for airport handling where PE is a different class of service (i.e. - not booking class). Since it is a higher class of service, all PE PAX are ahead of Y-PAX as PE is only a one-class upgrade while Y-J is 2 class.

On the domestic flights in B-Class - you can already call to get your upgrade now - so it should not even be a mystery - - do it now!!!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:32 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Don't know about the "why" - this is how it's done. How else would they do it on the vast majority of AC metal flights on domestic routes that don't have true PE cabins?

Small bonus is on E-ups you can upgrade the domestic leg at booking assuming R space.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by CT1
Don't know about the "why" - this is how it's done. How else would they do it on the vast majority of AC metal flights on domestic routes that don't have true PE cabins?

Small bonus is on E-ups you can upgrade the domestic leg at booking assuming R space.
One thing that has changed in the past year is that Latitude upgrades are confirmed based on the availability of "Z" class for domestic. I believe it is "P" class for international but I just had one confirmed yesterday where "P" was zero so who knows. (the change for latitude fares is not widely known as I also found out yesterday).
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CT1

I seem to recall the reason why was posted by Ben. It had something to do with the legacy systems being the culprit.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I seem to recall the reason why was posted by Ben. It had something to do with the legacy systems being the culprit.
Probably because the fare classes are sorted like OENYBMUHQV, and upgrades have to be in that order.

And sorting them OYBEMUHNQB doesn't work.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CT1

Had my TA do exactly that so am at the front for YYT-YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.