Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Brisbane to become AC's second Australian destination in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brisbane to become AC's second Australian destination in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The bilateral is capped at 3000 seats/week. Couldn't even do 2x daily using 788s for both flights.
Wait a minute, how will they manage to do the 788 and the 77L daily then to BNE and SYD respectively?

Or are the limits per destination?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
3.) AC has no shortage of equipment next year - in fact Im wondering what they're planning on using it all for. Of a net growth of 13 airframes between rouge and mainline, they've only actually said what they plan to do with 3. (Lyon, Gatwick, and Brisbane) What the rest are going to get up to is still a mystery.
Filling in for 320 retirements on domestic transcons?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pitz
Wait a minute, how will they manage to do the 788 and the 77L daily then to BNE and SYD respectively?

Or are the limits per destination?
See above - YVR-BNE will be three times weekly.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by adam.smith
I don't get it. I could see demand for a route to MEL, but don't see where the traffic will come from to BNE, especially the J cabin.
If I were still SE and had to go to Australia, I would pick this flight just to have a better chance to use my upgrades (this may be pre-2014 thinking), but I could see many others thinking the same way. Also, if it is cheaper than SYD. Also on all of my recent trips to Australia I made a pit stop in Cairns/Surfers, and maybe it's common enough that people won't mind flying to BNE.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Some interesting tidbits from the Brisbane airport press release:
  • "Canada – Queensland market, which currently stands at more than 100,000 passengers per year, is expected to increase with new services." (AC needs to capture 40% of that market on these flights to fill their planes
  • “Canadian travellers are at an all-time high to Queensland and, with the strong corporate links between our state and Canada due to the resource sector... (it's not just about tourism - they expect to fill the premium cabins with corporate travel - think Santiago.)
  • “The operating economics of the Dreamliner together with the support from the Queensland Government and Brisbane Airport have enabled us to launch the only year-round flights between Brisbane and Canada,” (quote from Calin - sounds like they are getting some juicy subsidies.)
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Some interesting tidbits from the Brisbane airport press release:[LIST][*]"Canada – Queensland market, which currently stands at more than 100,000 passengers per year, is expected to increase with new services." (AC needs to capture 40% of that market on these flights to fill their planes
40% is a lot. But AC stated their strategy is to get more US traffic, so if they can get 50 pax/flight from the US, the ratio of Canada-Queensland traffic they need to attract drops to 32% to get to 100%LF. More manageable.

Assuming 85% expected LF (out of thin air), AC could then need less than 30% of the CAN-QLD traffic. With the only nonstop, it should be doable.

But it has got to poach some SYD traffic in doing so.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
But it has got to poach some SYD traffic in doing so.
That is the key - I'm guessing that a lot of the 100,000 are people who visit both Queensland and other parts of Australia. there will likely be a lot of people who use BNE one way and SYD the other - especially tourists.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Filling in for 320 retirements on domestic transcons?
If you look at their fleet plan, there are no 320/321/319s leaving AC or rouge next year, or the year after, in fact they're getting more. There are the E190s going (20 of them) but they're also getting more 321s., and not retiring the 4 767s that were supposed to go.

Further down, in the regional component it shows them having between 31-50 76 seat regional jets next year. (with an * meaning they're not committed to doing it but are exploring it)

They're also planning on getting an average of an extra hour a day out of each aircraft starting next summer. And they don't release the main trans atlantic schedule until September.

My thoughts they're going to drop one or two destinations at a time to maximize the media/press/free publicity impact.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
That is the key - I'm guessing that a lot of the 100,000 are people who visit both Queensland and other parts of Australia. there will likely be a lot of people who use BNE one way and SYD the other - especially tourists.
I suspect that AC will rip people off (intentionally or not) and that will not happen. I often do that for domestic flights, but with international where you get a round trip discount, and substantial one at that, i can't see people doing it unless by some miracle AC IT keeps the roundtrip discount - may be missing something though.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
The answer is to be found in the first post (the press release):
"The service is supported under the Queensland Government's Attracting Aviation Investment Fund (AAIF), and will help entice more North American travellers to visit Queensland."
its nice to see another taxpayer help AC
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I suspect that AC will rip people off (intentionally or not) and that will not happen. I often do that for domestic flights, but with international where you get a round trip discount, and substantial one at that, i can't see people doing it unless by some miracle AC IT keeps the roundtrip discount - may be missing something though.
You can combine round trip fares on an open jaw. YVR-SYD//BNE-YVR is certainly possible on one ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by pewpew
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

You can combine round trip fares on an open jaw. YVR-SYD//BNE-YVR is certainly possible on one ticket.
AC has had great TANGO yyz-bne syd-yyz fares for people who don't have a FF program
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by why fly
AC has had great TANGO yyz-bne syd-yyz fares for people who don't have a FF program
"used to have" or "still has"? I'm only seeing $1.8k a.i. for Tango; not that I'm interested in spending 40h in Y.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly
its nice to see another taxpayer help AC
Another inferiority complex. It's not only Red Deer north then...

BTW, nothing wrong with taxpayers supporting us. As long as I am not one of them.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
I think they would've been better off going 2X daily for SYD. To give passengers some choice of times (or options if there's a misconnect on either end) and to alleviate the extremely long delays that can arise if one of the planes goes mechanical, inbound is cancelled, etc.
QF with multiple flights per day on LAX-SYD still only utilizes about 2.5 hour window for all flights. With curfews and commercial viability, there is only a short window to operate flights.

Finally, AC and QF have an interline agreement, so SYD connection pax now have another choice with AC taking up most of their journey through either SYD or BNE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.