Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Air Georgian ruining ACs reputation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

Since Georgian was awarded the CRJ flying last year, I have been watching the situation with great interest, particularly because I fly regularly between YYZ-YYG. I have noticed a definite deterioration in service reliability since Georgian took over the flying.

In fact, I had a look at the all the Georgian flights yesterday, and it was ugly.

AC7335 YYZ-YYG (47 min delay)
AC7341 YYZ-YYG (almost 12 hours delayed!!!)
AC7340 YYG-YYZ (30 min delay)
AC7338 YYG-YYZ (delayed almost 12 hours. In fact as of writing this is well into the next day and the flight still hasn't departed!)

Worthy to note both Jazz flights on the same day to/from YYG were on time.

Also noteworthy:

AC7331 YYZ-BNA (3 hrs delay)
AC7333 YYZ-BNA (almost 4 hours delayed)
AC7330 BNA-YYZ (4 hours delay)
AC7332 BNA-YYZ (over 4 hours delayed)
AC7321 YYZ-MCI (almost 4 hours delayed)
AC7320 MCI-YYZ (over 4 hours delayed)
AC7311 YYZ-IND (almost 4 hours delayed)
AC7313 YYZ-IND (almost 4 hours delayed)
AC7312 IND-YYZ (4 hours delayed)
AC7317 YYZ-RDU (4 hours delayed)
AC7319 YYZ-RDU (1.5 hours delayed...not bad I guess)
AC7316 RDU-YYZ (28 mins delayed, I guess this is impressive)
AC7318 RDU-YYZ (over 5 hours delayed)
AC7329 YYZ-MKE (CANCELLED)
AC7328 MKE-YYZ (CANCELLED)
AC7309 YYZ-DTW (Almost 6 hours delayed)
AC7344 CVG-YYZ (10 hours delayed!!)
AC7324 CVG-YYZ (almost 2 hours delayed)
AC7325 YYZ-CVG (1 hour delayed)
AC7345 YYZ-CVG (2 hours delayed)

This was just from one day (June 14). And based on my experience travelling on Georgian, this is not just a one off either, but a common occurrence.

The question is, why is Air Canada not doing a better job of enforcing standards on its regional partners?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Welcome to FT
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: 100K
I used to fly to ABE with Air Georgian and they did seem to be late quite often... not to mention the cancelled flights. I always blamed it on weather issues and limitations of the Beechcraft in these conditions...but I guess that wasn't the whole story.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:14 am

HI. AGL is highly exposed to the mid-south US markets and they had a lot of difficult weather this past weekend causing system wide delays for AGL. The aircraft they use for YYG flows through the US markets and back to domestic every day.

AGL also uses older CRJ100 on these markets BUT they are being phased out and are now taking delivery of newer more reliable CRJ200. The old CRJ100 fleet should be out soon.

Not that any of that makes any difference when you are a passenger but they have been in business with Air Canada for almost 20 years so I have confidence they will sort out the fleet issues and the weather is the weather.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Are you seriously bringing up the weather? Was anyone else taking these massive delays yesterday? As I said it was not just a one off either, I only used yesterday as a "snapshot" example of the issues.

You have confidence they'll fix their issues but it has been well over a year. Meanwhile the communication from AC while the service has been suffering has been lacking...
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by aviator2015
Are you seriously bringing up the weather? Was anyone else taking these massive delays yesterday? As I said it was not just a one off either, I only used yesterday as a "snapshot" example of the issues.

You have confidence they'll fix their issues but it has been well over a year. Meanwhile the communication from AC while the service has been suffering has been lacking...
You are assuming a the airline isn't enforcing standards. There are many factors to otp, it's not like any airline or regional carrier has total control. Plus I'm sure staff are incentivized for good otp but what can a flight crew do? They only have so much leeway
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I understand delays are a fact of travel, and I do travel a lot and put up with them. That wasn't the point of my post. My post was highlighting the fact that one of ACs regional partners was has a disproportionate amount of operational issues amongst the flights it is responsible to operate. Last year Air Georgian had so many issues with its Charlottetown flights that Air Canada was forced to replace them.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Lo...onal-carrier/1

It seems like a year later not much has changed. I get that they may be the "new kid on the block", but why should paying customers have to be the guinea pigs while they learn how to operate an airline to the same standard as Jazz or Sky Regional? It shouldn't matter when I board an AC express flight who is operating it, but when one of the carriers has a disproportionate amount of issues, one has to wonder...

Just had a look at the flights today, looks like both of Georgians flights out of YYG have been cancelled and replaced with a mainline E190. Its better service, but still a disruption and a reduction in overall capacity. Nashville is showing a 4 hour delay already.

This has been a recurring pattern...
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:27 am

All AC regional operations into YYZ were a disaster this weekend. And yes, depending on where an express partner is flying they can be more impacted than others. Both Sky and AGL have smaller fleets having Jazz recover is part of the model, no smoking gun there.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Canadianav,

You sound like you have insider information based on your posts. Do you work for one of the aforementioned carriers?

I looked up the other express carriers for yesterday on the Air Canada app, I see the usual delays (i.e. EWR, JFK..etc) but really nothing in excess of 2 hours like the ones I listed one. Sorry, but what your saying doesn't add up, I'm not convinced.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:44 am

All within 10% on time into yyz for the day
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I think most of us can agree theres a big difference between a 30mins - 1 hr delay vs 4+ or even 12/10 hrs.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
To the OP, yes they are really bad "most" of the time
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE
My experiences with Air Georgian have been worse than other AC Express partners as well, having some significant controllable delays (4+ hour mechanical, cancellation due to crew constraints).

In some respects, I think they have a harder time because it seems like when YYZ is under constraints due the weather, the smallest destinations, which are often those serviced by Air Georgian, seem to take many of the cancellations. But it seems like their ability to recover from IRROPS is much worse than mainline or Jazz.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by gcashin
My experiences with Air Georgian have been worse than other AC Express partners as well, having some significant controllable delays (4+ hour mechanical, cancellation due to crew constraints).

In some respects, I think they have a harder time because it seems like when YYZ is under constraints due the weather, the smallest destinations, which are often those serviced by Air Georgian, seem to take many of the cancellations. But it seems like their ability to recover from IRROPS is much worse than mainline or Jazz.
You got it. The small fleet and personnel pool means that the airline is constrained. It's crews can easily time out.

I notice the OP's reference to Sky Regional. Well. Sky Regional was the former Sky Service which went bankrupt isn't it? Sky Regional has some nice and easy routes. Hardly comparable. Jazz has more assets to play with than Georgian so it can do better on a weather delay. Georgian was given some stinky routes and the results show.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
I had no idea that Air Georgian operated anything other than the BEH for AC. Learned something new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.