Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mileage credit to incorrect FFP account (Aeroplan instead of MP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP Platinum

I am a AC A50K (*G) member, but planning to switch mileage to MP this year (easier to reach *G on UA than AC due to AP changes). So I'm not sure if this belongs in the AC forum or in the UA forum, but here goes anyway:
  • I recently flew YYZ-ADD on ET. My booking included my UA MP number, but during OLCI I wasn't able to reconfirm it (or re-enter it), and my BP didn't show it either. I wasn't worried as I could still ask the GA to confirm.
  • I used the MLL showing my AC card, but they just swiped. It didn't look like they changed anything.
  • At the gate, I asked the GA to confirm my MP number by showing my MP card. She confirmed and actually re-printed the BPs, but the BPs still didn't show any FFP.
  • Checking my AP and MP accounts, I found out today that the flight was credited to Aeroplan, and not MileagePlus. I expect the second flight to be the same.

Now, I have two questions:
  1. How do I fix this? i.e. debit (remove credit) from Aeroplan and credit to MP?
  2. How do I prevent this from happening on the return trip home?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Happened to me a couple of weeks ago on AC LHR-YYZ. My UA number was on the BP, yet somehow it credited to AE. Emailed Mileage Plus Service Centre first with a copy of my BP and explained what happened. They said if I had AE remove the flight from my account, they would credit my MP account. Called AE and at first I was told I couldn't remove the flight. I asked to escalate to a supervisor and agent came back and said she was mistaken. Next day flight was deducted from AE. You then have to wait 15 days before MP can request the flight credit. I'm still waiting for my flight to post to UA MP.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
i have had to do the same thing, its a huge problem dealing with Aeroplan staff, and later its difficult to get UA to post the miles, because they insist Aeroplan didnt remove the miles properly.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Since appears to be AeroPlan issue and first actions need to be taken by Aeroplan, will move this The UA MP forum to the AC AeroPlan forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by why fly
i have had to do the same thing, its a huge problem dealing with Aeroplan staff, and later its difficult to get UA to post the miles, because they insist Aeroplan didnt remove the miles properly.
Alright, that might be enough headache, but how do I prevent this from happening again?

I might email my TA to make sure that my AC isn't listed anywhere on the itinerary.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes it just happens! When I did OLCI, I made sure my UA number was listed. I asked again with agent when I checked my bag, and UA number was clearly listed on my BP. Surprise, surprise, AC flight posted to AE.

Just to follow up on my situation, Apr 21 was 15 days after my flight. Yesterday UA sent me an email saying they would request credit (no further prompting from me was required) and today they were in my account.

With AE, I had earned 7092 miles. (If I had been SE, i would have earned 8865 miles.) UA gave me 10,674 miles for an AC flight on a Z fare (300% of miles flown!). So definitely glad I switched.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Happened to me a couple of weeks ago on AC LHR-YYZ. My UA number was on the BP, yet somehow it credited to AE. Emailed Mileage Plus Service Centre first with a copy of my BP and explained what happened. They said if I had AE remove the flight from my account, they would credit my MP account. Called AE and at first I was told I couldn't remove the flight. I asked to escalate to a supervisor and agent came back and said she was mistaken. Next day flight was deducted from AE. You then have to wait 15 days before MP can request the flight credit. I'm still waiting for my flight to post to UA MP.
You called in to AP, which probably won't be worth it for me until I get home, since I'm overseas. Does AP handle via email or only UA MP? Also, how did UA know that the flight was already taken off from AP or were they just checking (pro-active loyalty staff)?!?

Sometimes it just happens! When I did OLCI, I made sure my UA number was listed. I asked again with agent when I checked my bag, and UA number was clearly listed on my BP. Surprise, surprise, AC flight posted to AE.

Just to follow up on my situation, Apr 21 was 15 days after my flight. Yesterday UA sent me an email saying they would request credit (no further prompting from me was required) and today they were in my account.

With AE, I had earned 7092 miles. (If I had been SE, i would have earned 8865 miles.) UA gave me 10,674 miles for an AC flight on a Z fare (300% of miles flown!). So definitely glad I switched.
How did you get 10k on YYZ-LHR r/t? MP earns 200% in AC Z, or did you also get fare class bonuses too?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bt_yyz
You called in to AP, which probably won't be worth it for me until I get home, since I'm overseas. Does AP handle via email or only UA MP? Also, how did UA know that the flight was already taken off from AP or were they just checking (pro-active loyalty staff)?!?
I called in to AE. With UA, I just emailed the MP Customer Service address (including a scan of my BP) and I got a response back within hours telling me that once AE removed the miles from my account, they would credit the flight to my account. Next day, I responded to the email with a screen shot of my AE account showing the miles had been removed. Hours later I got another email saying they had to wait 15 days after the flight then would post the miles to my account. That was it. Yesterday they emailed me to say miles would be posted in the next day or two. I know people complain, but I always get awesome customer service from UA.

Originally Posted by bt_yyz
How did you get 10k on YYZ-LHR r/t? MP earns 200% in AC Z, or did you also get fare class bonuses too?
It was one way LHR-YYZ. It posts very weird now since UA changed the way they calculate miles. I got base miles of 3558 and bonus miles of 7116 (probably 100% COS and 100% tier bonus) for a total of 10,674 redeemable miles. PQMs were 5337.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

It was one way LHR-YYZ. It posts very weird now since UA changed the way they calculate miles. I got base miles of 3558 and bonus miles of 7116 (probably 100% COS and 100% tier bonus) for a total of 10,674 redeemable miles. PQMs were 5337.
PQMs, AQMs, whatever they are called. But STATUS, that's the thing I'm chasing at the moment (or chasing to reclaim on MP instead of AP). My stash of redeemable miles just need to find a destination to burn them!

Last edited by bt_yyz; Apr 25, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already have 150K PQMs this year. I'm more interested in redeemable miles now.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I had this in reverse, fought and fought, no result.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

I called in to AE. With UA, I just emailed the MP Customer Service address (including a scan of my BP) and I got a response back within hours telling me that once AE removed the miles from my account, they would credit the flight to my account. Next day, I responded to the email with a screen shot of my AE account showing the miles had been removed. Hours later I got another email saying they had to wait 15 days after the flight then would post the miles to my account. That was it. Yesterday they emailed me to say miles would be posted in the next day or two. I know people complain, but I always get awesome customer service from UA.
Who did you talk to at Aeroplan? I called my A50k number and after being put on hold, the rep said he can't do it, but that I have to email the request. Also, that the credit request is not guaranteed to work. (Or that UA might not accept the credit since it has been "used".)

Anyway, I'm going to contact UA MP to let them know the situation.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called the E50 AE number. Agent at first said "we can't do that". When I asked to speak to a supervisor she came back and said she could after all.

I cleared it with UA first to make sure they would give me the miles. Agent made a note in my account.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Called the E50 AE number. Agent at first said "we can't do that". When I asked to speak to a supervisor she came back and said she could after all.

I cleared it with UA first to make sure they would give me the miles. Agent made a note in my account.
I forgot to mention that I escalated to their supervisor, saying that I knew someone who had done this recently. However, their response was to email the "mileage removal request" directly to the Aeroplan Documents account.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's AE for you. Agent removed the flights while I was on hold and said it would show up in my account the next day, and it did.

Maybe HUCA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.