Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

My AC-VIA Rail Protection Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My AC-VIA Rail Protection Experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
So can I take VIA Rail from YVR to YUL if my flight gets canceled?
Make sure they book you on the Prestige Sleeper Class!

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our...nd-trains-cars
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:34 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I have a feeling that if the AC status does not translate to VIA, a bunch of SEs will blow a gasket in a train station somewhere in Canada....
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: *void
Did you see any familiar fogged-in faces from the day before, during your flight down to LAS?

Well, it makes for an interesting story, if nothing else. I don't know if I'd have the energy to do the same, but with LAS as the carrot on the other end, why not give it a shot, right? But, the way I see it, you'd be grabbing a taxi from YGK to the Kingston VIA Rail train station, and then another taxi from Union Station in downtown Toronto to YYZ, easily adding another 1.5 hrs to the +2hr train ride, and longer if during traffic hours.

A quicker option might have been to get off early at the Oshawa train station, and grab a cab from there and zip westbound on the Hwy 401...might've been quicker than training it all the way into Union Station and then taxiing from there to YYZ.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pitz
Any idea if the opposite exists, ie: a long-haul VIA trip is cancelled (say, Edmonton to Prince Rupert -- a trip that I hold a reservation on for the summer) -- can a VIA ticket be taken to AC for the trip? Or even more recently, with the Toronto-Winnipeg trains being cancelled -- can those tickets be taken to AC for a flight?

The online literature makes most of its references to taking the train if the plane is unavailable, but what if it is the train that is unavailable? I haven't been able to find any details of the "agreement" that works in reverse.
Has anyone been able to determine anything official on this?

My travel schedule is being messed with already, and if anything happens to a train, I might need to switch to a flight.

Happy to IKK, but if I can get a flight for free...
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Has anyone been able to determine anything official on this?

My travel schedule is being messed with already, and if anything happens to a train, I might need to switch to a flight.

Happy to IKK, but if I can get a flight for free...
doubt the opposite exists..... if train is cancelled they will bus you with their contracted bus companies (either as a ticket reprotection like Megabus/Coach Canada or will charter a bus outright).
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:40 pm

This site might help you (I don't know if its published on their site):

https://tsimobile.viarail.ca/

Everything looks like its running, and actually reasonably on-time.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:11 am

My 1410-1515 YGK-YYZ was cancelled.

I was rebooked on a 1341-1603 train, as well as given an UPX voucher (the benefits of this happening while I'm in YYZ, I guess).

UPX estimates 25 minutes.

So my "gate to gate" time went from 65 minutes to 167 minutes. But there's also the "connection" at Union Station, as well as the time to get to T1 once I arrive at the airport, so let's call it 180 minutes total.

Basically, my travel time increased by a factor of 3.

I'm SE, on a J ticket, but YGK-YYZ is all-Y, so that segment is in Y.

As such, they were unable (unwilling?) to book me in business class on the train.

And if it makes a difference, if I were booking that train myself (which I've done in the past), I would have paid for business class.

Needless to say, not super impressed, and I'm going to enquire at the train station how much they could sell an "upgrade" for (which I suspect may just be the entire cost of a ticket).
Old May 14, 2017, 6:39 am

You might be better off driving at that rate.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by FourAces
You might be better off driving at that rate.
If there's one thing I enjoy less than Y seating, it's driving

I don't think it would actually be faster though, but yes, it would be close.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My 1410-1515 YGK-YYZ was cancelled.

I was rebooked on a 1341-1603 train, as well as given an UPX voucher (the benefits of this happening while I'm in YYZ, I guess).

UPX estimates 25 minutes.

So my "gate to gate" time went from 65 minutes to 167 minutes. But there's also the "connection" at Union Station, as well as the time to get to T1 once I arrive at the airport, so let's call it 180 minutes total.

Basically, my travel time increased by a factor of 3.

I'm SE, on a J ticket, but YGK-YYZ is all-Y, so that segment is in Y.

As such, they were unable (unwilling?) to book me in business class on the train.

And if it makes a difference, if I were booking that train myself (which I've done in the past), I would have paid for business class.

Needless to say, not super impressed, and I'm going to enquire at the train station how much they could sell an "upgrade" for (which I suspect may just be the entire cost of a ticket).
It used to be that SD on the train could sell an upgrade for a fixed cost back in the days but they can no longer do that. The last time that I used the protection (February) I inquired at the train station (Montreal) for the upgrade (and I am a Premier member with Via) and was told by the ticket agent that they cannot touch these tickets.

For reference, during my last "protection" event, the train (from Montreal to Quebec city) hit a snow bank around Drummondville which caused a mechanical issue. That issue would have caused a further 2 hours delay. A few people grouped together in Drummondville to rent cars from discount (one way to Quebec City). This was truly a case of trains, planes and automobiles...
Old May 14, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: ba silver
From what I know about upgrading VIA will let you upgrade if you pay the fare difference between the value of your ticket and the business class fare that day. When you do it day of they don't charge you a change fee. The problem is they might not be able to determine the cost of your ticket so they might not bother or they might establish a value and take it from there.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Ah I see I should have posted here, this isn't a huge surprise.

UPX is 25 mins IF you walk into a train and the doors close, more likely it'll be 30-35 mins. Plus you have to get from Via to UPX and UPX into T1. Not huge but a good 5 mins each if you know where you are going. So 25 mins is now 45.

I'd personally ask for the upgrade and see if you can pay (no experience on this) and I'd want at least my AP miles for that leg back. I expect a 10% off voucher. Maybe 15 as a SE.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by jc94
Ah I see I should have posted here, this isn't a huge surprise.

UPX is 25 mins IF you walk into a train and the doors close, more likely it'll be 30-35 mins. Plus you have to get from Via to UPX and UPX into T1. Not huge but a good 5 mins each if you know where you are going. So 25 mins is now 45.

I'd personally ask for the upgrade and see if you can pay (no experience on this) and I'd want at least my AP miles for that leg back. I expect a 10% off voucher. Maybe 15 as a SE.
Yeah, I've taken UPX. You're just making my argument even stronger

I asked if I could pay for the upgrade, and they said no.

The concierge this morning said she'd write into customer relations on my behalf about the business class issue.

I'm not sure about the Aeroplan miles. I was rebooked onto alternate transportation. YGK-YYZ is ~6% of the trip, by distance, so that's ~1500 miles.

Maybe I'll submit my $15 drink receipt though. If I'd been flying, I would have been in the MLL for longer

Anyway, here's a copy of my ticket. The reference and ticket number were VIA's, and seemed to have no relation to my AC ticket. However, it does mention "AIR CANADA" on it.

The concierge made it seem like I'd have to show up really early to get it sorted out, but given my AC ticket number, he had it up in 10 seconds. I even switched to an earlier train with no issues (and while that's my expectation in IRROPS, I wasn't sure how this would work).
Attached Images  
Old May 14, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: *G
Cow's situation is a bit of a two edged sword. On the one hand, AC seems to finally be doing some advance planning to deal with the GTAA runway issues, so he knew in advance rather than at the gate with no easy alternatives. But it's still an inconvenience.

And I might even be tempted to point out that YYZ-YGK-YYZ is probably the most vulnerable of all the short hauls, and anyone knowledgeable would always have Plan B particularly with all the GTAA runway shenanigans. Plus the trains are frequent on that run, and AFAIK, AC Express is right now using VIA quite a lot, including the UPX vouchers. It is also my understanding that VIA accepts AC tickets "at face value", whatever that means (well it does mean Y for Y obviously).
Old May 14, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by fin 645
Cow's situation is a bit of a two edged sword. On the one hand, AC seems to finally be doing some advance planning to deal with the GTAA runway issues, so he knew in advance rather than at the gate with no easy alternatives. But it's still an inconvenience.

And I might even be tempted to point out that YYZ-YGK-YYZ is probably the most vulnerable of all the short hauls, and anyone knowledgeable would always have Plan B particularly with all the GTAA runway shenanigans. Plus the trains are frequent on that run, and AFAIK, AC Express is right now using VIA quite a lot, including the UPX vouchers. It is also my understanding that VIA accepts AC tickets "at face value", whatever that means (well it does mean Y for Y obviously).
VIA is always my backup for YGK

But yes, the fact that it was cancelled the day before, rather than at the gate, is nice.

The problem is with "at face value".

When I board a YGK-YYZ flight, "J OK" or similar flashes on the GA screen. Forget Aeroplan for a second. I've flown this in Y and J fare classes (rather than X and I). I'm not in Y because I bought Y. I'm in Y because they don't have a bigger plane. If they had decided to upgauge the later flight to a CRA or larger, you bet your butt I would have been in the J cabin at no charge

I was "upgauged" from a BEH to a train. Mostly, I think they should take your ticket's cabin (or at least the FARE's cabin in the case of a revenue ticket where you can mix J and Y fares) into account.

Let's also consider that at the time this was done, the difference in price between VIA J and Y was under $30. Yes, I know AC is almost certainly not paying lowest available Y price, so let's take the whole price for VIA J. $164 CAD, after tax, rounded up.

AC cancelled my flight and turned my 65 minutes into about 185 minutes (yes, I kept track). That's 2 hours of my life.

I can somewhat understand them not doing this for someone with no status on a Tango fare, but even a P25K in Flex probably deserves something (like a train upgrade) for this inconvenience.

My train was pretty empty, and since Kingston was the final stop before Toronto, they told us all to spread out if we wanted, so I didn't even have someone beside me.

I'm still on my original flight to SFO. I saw my mom. It was certainly annoying, but I fully recognize I'm not a 15 year old stranded overnight.

I'm still annoyed though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.