Wiki Posts
Search

YQ after commencement of travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
YQ after commencement of travel

Just wanted to get an update if the old rule is still valid: YQ is not recalculated again for flight changes once travel has started. Spoke to an agent today that said that nowadays the computer recalcs taxes and YQ most of the time, so booking a low YQ airline and then changing after travel has started will not save you any money. Is this still correct?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
Just wanted to get an update if the old rule is still valid: YQ is not recalculated again for flight changes once travel has started. Spoke to an agent today that said that nowadays the computer recalcs taxes and YQ most of the time, so booking a low YQ airline and then changing after travel has started will not save you any money. Is this still correct?
YMMV.

A year ago I called to change the remaining of my award ticket after flying my first segment and was told I need to pay additional YQ. I countered it saying I thought the policy was YQ not recalculated after the travel has started. An agent put me on hold and came back saying yes, you are right, no additional YQ.

Others were not so lucky and I read reports here that additional YQ was collected after travel has started. So it looks like computer recalculates YQ, but an agent may or may not override it. There is no published policy on it.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by echino
YMMV.

A year ago I called to change the remaining of my award ticket after flying my first segment and was told I need to pay additional YQ. I countered it saying I thought the policy was YQ not recalculated after the travel has started. An agent put me on hold and came back saying yes, you are right, no additional YQ.

Others were not so lucky and I read reports here that additional YQ was collected after travel has started. So it looks like computer recalculates YQ, but an agent may or may not override it. There is no published policy on it.
I think it was more like system limitations than a "policy". A policy like that would make no sense.

If you can get it to work, great, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: *void
Lucky's blog has a recent post in Mar 2015 that claims it still works.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...el-surcharges/

YMMV of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.