Search

new YYC America West service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2002, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
new YYC America West service

America West begins service to Calgary. Any MR in the future, I wonder.

http://www.canada.com/search/story.a...e-e92e4413acef

Old Oct 27, 2002, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I guess AmericaWest didn't read that Edmonton alderman's comments, eh? Maybe instead of wasting all that money building overpasses in the south end over highway 2 for roads that carry a dozen cars at rush hour twice a day, the city could just pay AmericaWest to fly two flights a day into the city down to PHX, with connections onward to LAX etc.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SH: The folks in the Twin Brooks subdivision may not agree.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 8:33 am
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
I guess AmericaWest didn't read that Edmonton alderman's comments, eh? Maybe instead of wasting all that money building overpasses in the south end over highway 2 for roads that carry a dozen cars at rush hour twice a day, the city could just pay AmericaWest to fly two flights a day into the city down to PHX, with connections onward to LAX etc.</font>
You are wrong again SH;why not build the roads before the land costs and congestion make construction too expensive.They could teach lessons here on accountability and smart spending of taxpayers money.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 10:05 am
exAC

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by parnel:
They could teach lessons here on accountability and smart spending of taxpayers money. </font>
These two interchanges are a classic case of Edmonton Transportation is completely whako!!!

They spend 10's of millions making Ellerslie road into an overpass and Interchange and then two kilometers down the road they put in a level intersection with traffic lights to service an Ikea store!!!

They start building a bridge over Calgary trail a few days AFTER they have diverted the road that will go under it.

When the bridge is built it is only a two lane bridge, when the road that is being built is going to be four lanes.

Result:
When the city is finished spending all this money. There is still a level intersection with lights AND they have needed to drop the speed limit from 90km to 70km.

Edmonton City....just brilliant.

Old Oct 27, 2002, 10:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by exAC:
These two interchanges are a classic case of Edmonton Transportation is completely whako!!!

They spend 10's of millions making Ellerslie road into an overpass and Interchange and then two kilometers down the road they put in a level intersection with traffic lights to service an Ikea store!!!

They start building a bridge over Calgary trail a few days AFTER they have diverted the road that will go under it.

When the bridge is built it is only a two lane bridge, when the road that is being built is going to be four lanes.

Result:
When the city is finished spending all this money. There is still a level intersection with lights AND they have needed to drop the speed limit from 90km to 70km.

Edmonton City....just brilliant.
</font>
I am glad I'm not the only person who questioned the intelligence of the traffic planners on this move. Actually it isn't just Ikea but access to the whole shopping complex. It makes getting to airport that much more of a pain.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Parnel, being in the construction business, you would love such boondoggles, of course. The land was already owned by the city or province, so that is an irrelevancy. Construction costs are high at this time because the economy is strong and there is great demand for labourers of all sorts,not to mention the project was started when the city was scrambling to get facilities and infrastructure ready for "The Worlds". The city's roads department dictates all other planning priorities to the city, and counsellors cower when they rubber stamp these budgets. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the province virtually guarantees the matching funds for such projects, thus distorting other priorities within the city's budget. These projects could certainly have waited for the next recession.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 10-27-2002).]
Old Oct 27, 2002, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
With all this talk of our roads, couldn't resist this tidbit from the local T.O. rag:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q1FB26142
Old Oct 28, 2002, 7:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
I guess AmericaWest didn't read that Edmonton alderman's comments, eh? Maybe instead of wasting all that money building overpasses in the south end over highway 2 for roads that carry a dozen cars at rush hour twice a day, the city could just pay AmericaWest to fly two flights a day into the city down to PHX, with connections onward to LAX etc.</font>
Two words for Shareholder:

Mel Lastman

Old Oct 29, 2002, 4:24 pm
exAC

Back on topic:

I can see that I will be driving down to YYC more often. The price of their tickets and the removal of the Saturday night stay requirement will make it much cheaper to travel on them.

The time to drive from home to Calgary airport is about the same as going to YEG and then connect in YYC. Weather is the only other consideration.

Have a look at HP's advantages:

http://www.americawest.com/email/keepingscore.htm

The other airlines have not matched the HP Min Stay provisions.

Old Oct 29, 2002, 8:49 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
But then again, you need the overpasses anyway in order to get to YEG from downtown Edmonton. Lose-lose situation - sounds like Edmonton to me.

O

Old Oct 29, 2002, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I told you, PunishedEdmonontian, I have the distinction of being one of the few people to have voted for Tooker Gomberg twice for mayor: once in Edmonton and again in Toronto. [I suspect he and his wife were the other two.] So you can't pin Mel on me, any more than Bill Smith. Well, actually, we did polling for Smith during his first winning election, so maybe you can blame him on me.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Tooker Gomberg? Haha, are you serious?

(Wasn't that the guy who wanted homeless people to infiltrate city parks and grow food there?)
Old Oct 30, 2002, 6:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">(Wasn't that the guy who wanted homeless people to infiltrate city parks and grow food there?)</font>
And the guy who wanted to flood half of Edmonton's streets in winter so people could skate to work?

------------------
Rewards Canada Frequent Flier Resource
Rewards Canada
Old Oct 30, 2002, 7:29 am
At Large

As I told you, PunishedEdmonontian, I have the distinction of being one of the few people to have voted for Tooker Gomberg twice for mayor: once in Edmonton and again in Toronto. [I suspect he and his wife were the other two.] So you can't pin Mel on me, any more than Bill Smith. Well, actually, we did polling for Smith during his first winning election, so maybe you can blame him on me.</font>

That tells me a lot---- a kook votes for another kook

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.