Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Sector Fare Discrepancy... One-Way vs Return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K

Firstly (for context), It's only $20... so not life altering.

Booking online YVR-HNL in Y...
Outbound, WestJet works better for me and Rtn Air Canada works better.

On AC... for exactly the same flight sector...
one-way prices out at $20 more than the same sector if I was booking a return ticket. Just wondering why?

The website states, "All fares displayed on this page are in Canadian dollars, per person, per one way, and include all surcharges, taxes, fees and charges."

I've emailed AC Customer Service... and they'll get back to me in 20 days.

In the interim... I booked with WestJet. (I'm anti-Rouge!!!)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bual

On AC... for exactly the same flight sector...
one-way prices out at $20 more than the same sector if I was booking a return ticket. Just wondering why?
Differences in taxes and surcharges? Perhaps some US tax that's only required on legs initiating in the US. You should be able to check that.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

I should have been more specific...
the , "Base fare and surcharge" is actually $34 more for the one-way sector.
I can't break-out the tax difference because it shows as a combined amount for the return pricing.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like ex-HNL they have the same figure for base fare in USD as in CAD...

Could be a mistake. Or not.

Surprisingly surcharges are exactly the same. Except for the "surcharge" included in the "air transportation charge," that again uses the same figure in USD (7.50) as in CAD in the other case.

So, perhaps a mistake indeed.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
It is exchange rate and possibly taxes. The fare originating in the U.S. Is priced in USD and converted to CAD at purchase for you. The round trip is priced in CAD for both sectors. When the CAD was higher used to be cheaper to buy as two one ways on most routes both for exchange and avoiding the HST. Looks like the dynamics have shifted.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
It is exchange rate and possibly taxes. The fare originating in the U.S. Is priced in USD and converted to CAD at purchase for you. The round trip is priced in CAD for both sectors. When the CAD was higher used to be cheaper to buy as two one ways on most routes both for exchange and avoiding the HST. Looks like the dynamics have shifted.
Except, the figure in USD for the one way ex-US is the same as the figure in CAD if priced as a round trip. ALSO for that surcharge included in the "air transportation charge."

That's quite suspicious to me. Sounds like a mistake. Especially looking at surcharge. NAVCAN I believe?
Old May 10, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

No response from Air Canada...
Like that's a big surprise.

(Westjet was great... I paid $50 for premium outbound at check-in and they gave me free premium seating on the return!). 😊

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.