Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Hurry and book your Europe trips by Dec 15, 2015

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-2015-a-4.html
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Was thinking the same thing Jerry...

...btw is there a similar wiki for TPAC?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...btw is there a similar wiki for TPAC?
TPAC is somewhat simpler (but probably more difficult) as you're stuck to fewer carriers, fewer International hubs, and they don't necessarily release space early

Carriers with YQ:
AC, NH, TG, OZ

No YQ
BR, CA, SQ, UA

East Coast Hubs to check
Canada - YYZ, YUL
USA - JFK/ORD/BOS/IAD, IAH

West Coast Hubs to check
Canada - YVR, YYC
USA - SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN

^ above is not complete list, just what I can think of right now
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

new options to Europe, thanks to UA, starting May 2016 (seasonal)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-iad-lis.html
UA will resume EWR - ATH and Launch service between IAD - BCN & IAD - LIS.

EWR - ATH will utilize a 76E and operate between May 25th & October 5th (Daily)
IAD - BCN will utilize a 76P and operate between May 25th & September 6th (Daily)
IAD - LIS will utilize a 75B and operate between May 25th & September 6th (Daily).
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Can anyone confirm the AC maximum layover time for it to not be considered a stopover (for a one way redemption from EU to Canada, layover in Canada) ?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Hurry and book your Europe trips by Dec 15, 2015

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-2015-a-4.html
Just locked in trip on new SAS business class. There is a fair bit of availability out of ORD to ARN/CPH during the holidays week. Getting back is a whole other matter though.

Cheers
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by winebug
Can anyone confirm the AC maximum layover time for it to not be considered a stopover (for a one way redemption from EU to Canada, layover in Canada) ?
Less than 24 hours - 23:59 would be the official longest layover.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by joeags
Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Just locked in trip on new SAS business class. There is a fair bit of availability out of ORD to ARN/CPH during the holidays week. Getting back is a whole other matter though.

Cheers
Rode one of those SAS birds from CPH across TATL earlier this year, soon after it was newly retrofitted. Very nice J product, except the onboard WiFi (free for J class) was weak and spotty. Many pax had to get a free pass-code from the SD. If they have it, try the deer cheek on the menu!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:39 am

I had an option of
BOS-CPH-XXX
BOS-ZRH-XXX

Based on views in this thread, chose ZRH. Was looking for more discussion on differentiation between services of Privatair and Main SAS. But I know Swiss product, not so much others. Good to have that option for my next trips especially since SAS is adding more routes.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer

Based on views in this thread, chose ZRH. Was looking for more discussion on differentiation between services of Privatair and Main SAS. But I know Swiss product, not so much others. Good to have that option for my next trips especially since SAS is adding more routes.

Good choice. Swiss will be flat beds, Privatair will not.

False, the longest layover is 24:00
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:19 pm

I haven't seen much discussion on the impact of the new routing rules / pseudo-MPM / city pair mileage maximum to those of us based in YYT.

My very unscientific observation from a few recent TATL redemptions is that the new rules have eliminated "backtracking" to YYZ and EWR as connection points to many (most? all?) major European destinations. As an example, YYT-YUL-FRA is valid, but YYT-YYZ-FRA is not. I don't recall this being the case under the old rules.

This really limits TATL redemption flexibility, particularly if you want to avoid surcharges. A few quick searches suggest originating in YYT means you're limited to YUL-ZRH and YUL-IST for surcharge-free carriers -- I haven't done the leg work to check more thoroughly. If the couple surcharge-free options don't work, the YYT-LHR AC flight can be convenient, but it commands ~$450 of taxes/fees/surcharges on a J redemption.

For $450 or less, I can book an advance purchase Flex fare positioning flight to any North American hub as far as ORD. This lets me earn a few miles and opens up a bigger variety of carriers.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Good choice. Swiss will be flat beds, Privatair will not.
How bad are 5AB seats on this flight? Currently assigned.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Just confirmed with Aeroplan that, yes, that is the longest layover at time of booking. A schedule change will open up additional options. A schedule change of one of your flights that even reduces the layover may given you leverage to move to a different flight.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Yvr-ist-ath-yvr

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this and hoping to get some insight into booking the above trip sometime in May or early june 2016. My partner and I are looking to go for approximately 16 days with around 4 spent in IST, doesn't matter if that is before or after Greece. When I enter this itinerary in on AP the fees are astronomical, at least $600 with the combinations I've tried. Is there an easier way to find the flights/carriers with low fees, I've seen UA mentioned but can't figure out how to filter carriers in my search. Also, would it be a better idea just to pay for the short IST-ATH flight rather than use AP miles? Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.