FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Priority Rewards limit to ten reservations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1664509-priority-rewards-limit-ten-reservations.html)

somedude3210 Mar 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 26355239)
Pretty tough to do 4J on one flight even for YYZ LHR if you're a pleb AFAIK.

He's talking about a SE who also racks up hundreds of thousands (or even millions) in credit card miles. An SE with unlimited IKK and virtually unlimited miles can disproportionately benefit from the benefits of the program. Also known as the reason the limits were established in the first place.

canadiancow Mar 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 26355239)
Pretty tough to do 4J on one flight even for YYZ LHR if you're a pleb AFAIK.

You realize we're talking about the IKK limited imposed on SEs, right?

DistressedAssetInvestor Mar 20, 2016 7:05 am

1. Yes, its -no longer- worth using ikk for short haul, but I doubt this painpoint for flyers hurts AC's bottomline as much as it irks those who run into the limit

2. On the contrary, i see it as package and, if AC doesnt like frequent fliers who direct their cc spend also to aeropesos, then they should invent a new currency and be done with it. Many AC fliers will continue to see aeroplan and air canada as married.

While you may believe folks who earn aeropesos on cc are not as valuable as frequent fliers, I make decisions on every value proposition available. As it stands, i will probably run out of IKK well before fall/winter just as cadcow says due to one way bookings and frenetic itineraries. So once Ikk is exhausted, its like demotion down a status tier imo for SE fliers who bring friends and family along.

Ive asked my assistant to track on spreadsheet how much $$ Im going to spend/save now that I will go for best fare vs ac loyalty. If I can save $8k to $10k on 140,000 miles on routes flown by ac/star alliance, that will be a win that I can pour into more headcount in asia.

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 26355207)
I think you make my point, really:

1. It's not really worth using IKK on a large number of relatively short haul itineraries.

2. The limitation is precisely designed for people who rack up tons of miles not on flying but on things like credit cards. Which have nothing to do with frequent flying.

I accumulate around 400k miles/year. My wife travels with me typically on 3 to 4 long haul trips, plus she flies about twice a year in North America. Normally in J. That's at most six rewards. I normally don't have enough miles for all of this being rewards.

SE privileges are really not meant to favor using tons of miles from sources other than flying. Which I find quite understandable.

CdnFlier Mar 20, 2016 10:15 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.2639 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

The IKK limit really hurt those of us in outlier airports where there are only a couple of AE seats/day on flights it meant that basically every flight needed an IKK segment. Annoying, but I guess that's the point.

Stranger Mar 20, 2016 11:37 am

Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor (Post 26358699)

2. On the contrary, i see it as package and, if AC doesnt like frequent fliers who direct their cc spend also to aeropesos, then they should invent a new currency and be done with it. Many AC fliers will continue to see aeroplan and air canada as married.

While you may believe folks who earn aeropesos on cc are not as valuable as frequent fliers, I make decisions on every value proposition available. As it stands, i will probably run out of IKK well before fall/winter just as cadcow says due to one way bookings and frenetic itineraries. So once Ikk is exhausted, its like demotion down a status tier imo for SE fliers who bring friends and family along.

The question is not what I believe or not, but how AC on one side and you on the other see/believe. Or even whatever perception people may or not have about AC and Aeroplan.

Bottom line being that with the current arrangement, earning miles on credit cards means absolutely nothing for AC. While in their mind, IKK costs.

Plus, if I can get three or four long haul rewards in business class, plus a couple NA per year on my miles, surely that is pretty good value still that SE status gets you. I doubt you can match that by savings associated with spreading your flying to different airlines to save a bit on each flight.

Truth is, we had it too good for too long, and the price of flying is lower than it ever was. While trying to beat airlines at their own game is sure fun, and I enjoy it as much as anyone, it can only go so far. And in that context, current restricted IKK is still valuable if you use it wisely.

dmw1954 Mar 23, 2016 2:54 pm

AP says no Priority reward reset till 2017

AP agent says AC decided that any priority rewards used in Nov & Dec of 2015 will count towards 2016. To make matter worse he says no reset until March 2017 - effectively equates to only 7.5 priority rewards/year.

They didn't start to track IKK until Nov 1 2015. I have written to AC complaint and am awaiting reply.

canadiancow Mar 23, 2016 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by dmw1954 (Post 26376894)
AP agent says AC decided that any priority rewards used in Nov & Dec of 2015 will count towards 2016. To make matter worse he says no reset until March 2017 - effectively equates to only 7.5 priority rewards/year.

They didn't start to track IKK until Nov 1 2015. I have written to AC complaint and am awaiting reply.

The Altitude website says it will reset in December 2016.

Stranger Mar 23, 2016 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by dmw1954 (Post 26376894)

So... You think I got special treatment?

Or perhaps someone who did not really know made up an answer? :D

dmw1954 Mar 24, 2016 4:13 pm

trying to sort out why 2 IKK rewards in 2015 count against 2016

Dear Mr. Walsh,

Thank you for your email regarding your Altitude Priority Rewards.

Priority Rewards are replenished when you achieve your milestone status. So, if you reached your Altitude Super Elite Status between October and December of 2015 and were granted your Altitude Super Elite 100K privileges at that time, it would include your Priority Rewards. If you used two of those rewards between October and now, that is correct they came out of your 2016 allotment.

--------------------
Dear Mr. Walsh,

Thank you for your follow up email. I will inquire with Loyalty Marketing as to the Priority Rewards on your account, what was used when and what remains for the 2016 year.

dmw1954 Mar 31, 2016 3:52 pm

"next period" is not annual but when you are deemed to have re-qualified

Heard from AC Customer Service Executive Centre - allotment is reset when you are deemed to re-qualify or make SE status for the next period. For me that was Dec 14 (hit 100K nov 23, have been SE since 1998). EVEN THOUGH I REDEEMED 2 REWARDS DEC 28 & 30 THEY WERE DEEMED TO COME OUT OF 2016 ALLOTMENT EVEN THOUGH I HAD NOT EXHAUSTED MY 2015 REWARDS.

Not exactly as web site says reset for "next period". I suspect this is/was not well thought out - no answer to my question what happens if I make AQD/AQM threshold in September 2016 - do i forfeit my unused 2016 rewards as my 2017 benefits kick in.

Sean Peever Mar 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by dmw1954 (Post 26417163)
Heard from AC Customer Service Executive Centre - allotment is reset when you are deemed to re-qualify or make SE status for the next period. For me that was Dec 14 (hit 100K nov 23, have been SE since 1998). EVEN THOUGH I REDEEMED 2 REWARDS DEC 28 & 30 THEY WERE DEEMED TO COME OUT OF 2016 ALLOTMENT EVEN THOUGH I HAD NOT EXHAUSTED MY 2015 REWARDS.

Not exactly as web site says reset for "next period". I suspect this is/was not well thought out - no answer to my question what happens if I make AQD/AQM threshold in September 2016 - do i forfeit my unused 2016 rewards as my 2017 benefits kick in.

Imagine how people like YYZNomad feel when they reach 100k in February / March and are now taking rewards out of their 2017 status.......... Unless that's not how it works and it's when you actually select your benifits (which isn't what they said).

YEG_SE4Life Mar 31, 2016 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever (Post 26418233)
Imagine how people like YYZNomad feel when they reach 100k in February / March and are now taking rewards out of their 2017 status.......... Unless that's not how it works and it's when you actually select your benifits (which isn't what they said).

I believe it is when you choose your benefits. I am over 100K AQM and the IKK counter has not reset.

dmw1954 Apr 1, 2016 8:14 pm

reset in December

Dear xxx

Thank you for your patience while I waited for a response from our Loyalty Marketing department in regards to requalification and the Priority Rewards refresh. While I was not given an exact date, I was advised to expect the requalification dates to occur in December. I would recommend if you have any unused Priority Rewards coming close to the beginning of December that you would like to redeem, you do so before mid month in December.

RAMGOD Apr 26, 2016 8:49 pm

Priority Rewards-Please come back!!

I was very disappointed to see that Priority Rewards for 100K members have been dramatically reduced from an unlimited number to only 10 per year. This is a tremendous discount in the value of 100K status. Air Canada contends that this will not impact 95% of 100K members. Using this logic, why would Air Canada eliminate a benefit that only impacts 5% of 100K members? I know that, for me, this has severely restricted my reward flight options. I would trade almost all of my other 100K benefits for unlimited 100K Priority Rewards. In a year where Air Canada has introduced AQD to further cull the ranks of 100K members, it's unfortunate that they are also reducing my rewards. Basically, they are asking me to spend more and giving me less. Air Canada, please reintroduce unlimited Priority Rewards or make it one of the benefits that you can choose when you requalify.

CanRulez Apr 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by RAMGOD (Post 26540466)
I was very disappointed to see that Priority Rewards for 100K members have been dramatically reduced from an unlimited number to only 10 per year. This is a tremendous discount in the value of 100K status. Air Canada contends that this will not impact 95% of 100K members. Using this logic, why would Air Canada eliminate a benefit that only impacts 5% of 100K members? I know that, for me, this has severely restricted my reward flight options. I would trade almost all of my other 100K benefits for unlimited 100K Priority Rewards. In a year where Air Canada has introduced AQD to further cull the ranks of 100K members, it's unfortunate that they are also reducing my rewards. Basically, they are asking me to spend more and giving me less. Air Canada, please reintroduce unlimited Priority Rewards or make it one of the benefits that you can choose when you requalify.

You seriously use more than 10 Priority rewards per year? How many AQM miles do you earn a year? Are you like yyznomad who earns more than 1 million AP miles a year because of actual flying?

Where do you even get the vacation days?

Yes, I'm very curious.