FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Priority Rewards limit to ten reservations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1664509-priority-rewards-limit-ten-reservations.html)

Sean Peever Apr 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by RAMGOD (Post 26540466)
I was very disappointed to see that Priority Rewards for 100K members have been dramatically reduced from an unlimited number to only 10 per year. This is a tremendous discount in the value of 100K status. Air Canada contends that this will not impact 95% of 100K members. Using this logic, why would Air Canada eliminate a benefit that only impacts 5% of 100K members? I know that, for me, this has severely restricted my reward flight options. I would trade almost all of my other 100K benefits for unlimited 100K Priority Rewards. In a year where Air Canada has introduced AQD to further cull the ranks of 100K members, it's unfortunate that they are also reducing my rewards. Basically, they are asking me to spend more and giving me less. Air Canada, please reintroduce unlimited Priority Rewards or make it one of the benefits that you can choose when you requalify.

They basically restricted it because of people who earn a bunch on their credit cards and redeem those miles via aeroplan to fly on AC. If this is your situation this is what they're trying to reduce.

If you earn all the miles you spend from actually flying you're an unintended casualty.

canadiancow Apr 26, 2016 11:14 pm

I frequently redeemed 7500 miles IKK tickets in the past.

It's not hard to go through 10 IKK slots very quickly that way.

RAMGOD Apr 27, 2016 7:19 am

Priority Rewards-Any Updates?

Thanks very much for all the feedback regarding Priority Rewards and 100K members. This is, in fact, being tracked. I found out the hard way as I did not rad carefully the changes to 100K status for 2016. I've already run out of Priority Rewards and they won't renew until February, 2017. It's funny. AC indicates that this won't impact 95% of 100K members. Therefore, why target the 5% of members who make full use of this benefit? In a year where AQD will further cull the hurd of 100K, I am disappointed that AC is tightening the eligibility requirements for 100K AND reducing the benefits. AC, please bring back unlimited Priority Rewards for 100K!!

Plumber Apr 27, 2016 7:35 am

Originally Posted by RAMGOD (Post 26541972)
Therefore, why target the 5% of members who make full use of this benefit?

My guess is that some % of that 5% have been abusers of the benefit in Air Canada's eyes.

I definitely fall in the 95% that see no effect from this change.

DrunkCargo Apr 27, 2016 11:56 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 26540808)
I frequently redeemed 7500 miles IKK tickets in the past.

It's not hard to go through 10 IKK slots very quickly that way.

+1

Last minute YYZ-ORD, YYZ-IAD, YYZ-LGA, YUL-BOS... you know, to have a drink somewhere.

DrunkCargo Apr 27, 2016 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Plumber (Post 26542055)
My guess is that some % of that 5% have been abusers of the benefit in Air Canada's eyes.

What if, next year, IKK is completely nil? Are we merely talking about where the threshold happens to be, or the nature of IKK itself?

Diabeetus Apr 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Random info.

I had SE100k until Feb 29. Used some priority rewards.

Dropped to P25k.

Early qualified to E35k. Have 10 priority rewards available again (reset).

mendy7511 Apr 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever (Post 26540786)
They basically restricted it because of people who earn a bunch on their credit cards and redeem those miles via aeroplan to fly on AC. If this is your situation this is what they're trying to reduce.

If you earn all the miles you spend from actually flying you're an unintended casualty.

Actually, I spoke to a SE recently who told me that he would have coworkers transfer their credit card points to his Aeroplan account and then redeem J tickets for them.
His whole office was using his benefit!

Sean Peever Apr 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 26543577)
Random info.

I had SE100k until Feb 29. Used some priority rewards.

Dropped to P25k.

Early qualified to E35k. Have 10 priority rewards available again (reset).

yes, I read this in the T&C's somewhere that it re-sets every time you go up a level (which kinda sucks for SE)

epiphani Apr 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever (Post 26543619)
yes, I read this in the T&C's somewhere that it re-sets every time you go up a level (which kinda sucks for SE)

Consecutive year SE's get screwed. It almost makes more sense to do the climb again every other year.

Sean Peever Apr 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by epiphani (Post 26543644)
Consecutive year SE's get screwed. It almost makes more sense to do the climb again every other year.

valid point, that way you also get a bunch more credits too selecting as you go.

canadiancow Apr 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Plumber (Post 26542055)

They were more targeting the people who barely earned SE but then had a ton of credit card spend.

Aeroplan earns money for the miles gained through credit cards. But IKK is an expense to AC.

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo (Post 26543431)
What if, next year, IKK is completely nil? Are we merely talking about where the threshold happens to be, or the nature of IKK itself?

If their goal was to go to 0, I don't think they would have bothered with this implementation.

Originally Posted by mendy7511 (Post 26543598)
Actually, I spoke to a SE recently who told me that he would have coworkers transfer their credit card points to his Aeroplan account and then redeem J tickets for them.
His one office was using his benefit!

And as a result, the rest of us now have to deal with the limit.

On another matter, my cancelled Aeroplan ticket hasn't caused an increase to my IKK counter. Not that I'm surprised, but it might mean I have to follow up.

Plumber Apr 27, 2016 2:31 pm

I have a feeling there are countless stories like this....or people selling IKK tickets.

And yes- I understand many would barely qualify for SE but rack up tons of points with CC spend and then redeem IKK.

Again, its a shame the the few abusers (I use the word loosely as technically they were within the rules of the program) have to ruin it for the people genuinely trying to use >10 IKK per year - as CC and DC have both pointed out.

acysb87 Apr 27, 2016 2:44 pm

This, IMHO, happens more than we may realize.

Sean Peever Apr 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87 (Post 26544315)
This, IMHO, happens more than we may realize.

happened*