Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

survey: what proportion of your AC trips have late flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black

I must have bad luck; I take roughly 15 trips per year, almost all on AC, and I was looking back over the last 12 months or so --- a full 73% of my trips (11/15) contained one (or more) AC flights that was delayed more than 20 minutes. Keep in mind some of these flights are themselves only 25 minutes long. And another one today, just coming in to YYZ from LHR and my connecting flight home is ... wait for it ... late by 30 minutes.

Interested in other people's stats: what proportion of your AC trips (or alternatively AC flights) have been late? (let's use 20 min or more as the standard, and let's use arrival time not departure time, so that we can avoid the "leave the gate on time" and hang out on the ramp for 45 minutes trick.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Of my 50 segments in 2014, 10% were late by your criteria. Two were very, very late because of the polar vortex in YYZ in Jan 14, (frustrating but understandable), one was late by about 4 hrs for mechanical reasons, (better late and fixed than not for a 6 hr flight over the ocean thank you very much), and one was to fix a problem with the oxygen masks that deployed when they shouldn't. One more was late because of heavy fog.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
So far this year, I've had 1 really late flight. Last year, maybe about 10%
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have over 30 segments to date this year and the majority of them are late. Winter is tough in the east and de-icing,cold weather and staff shortages ,to name a few,are playing havoc with schedules
I had a YYZ/YVR flight in early February and we had 1 gate agent for a 777 HD to board passengers. This flight was continuing on to HKG and was almost 2 hours behind schedule.
I hear you OP,but there is a lot working against airlines in eastern NA this winter.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Around 25%
Latest this year so far was one of my AC882 flights where the 788 had a mechanical but the crews fixed it and we were off about 4 hours later. The rest have been around 1 hour late on average.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC SE
Less than 10% for me. To be honest, I find it depends a lot on what routes you're flying. I find it's generally rare for mainline AC flights to be delayed much out of YYC. Most of the delays/cancellations I've experienced have been out of YYZ, the East Coast, or smaller Jazz airports.

Now when I was living in the East and routinely flying in/out YYT or YSJ, I'd say about 50% were delayed, 20% would get cancelled outright, and about only 30% would be on time.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:30 pm

I have 8 segments this year...

6 where on time
1 was 1h late (delay on inbound from YYZ, big surprise)
1 was 17 minutes early pushing back.

As info there are many threads on this including the hundreds stranded in Toronto...

If you really want to boost your OTP numbers stay away from YYZ. Flying to LHR? Try via YOW next time.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
rough estimation, around 70 percent, only 1 flight was weather related (fog) I learnt along the way which flights were delayed more often so I started avoiding them and it got better
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by plgplg
I must have bad luck; I take roughly 15 trips per year, almost all on AC, and I was looking back over the last 12 months or so --- a full 73% of my trips (11/15) contained one (or more) AC flights that was delayed more than 20 minutes. Keep in mind some of these flights are themselves only 25 minutes long. And another one today, just coming in to YYZ from LHR and my connecting flight home is ... wait for it ... late by 30 minutes.

Interested in other people's stats: what proportion of your AC trips (or alternatively AC flights) have been late? (let's use 20 min or more as the standard, and let's use arrival time not departure time, so that we can avoid the "leave the gate on time" and hang out on the ramp for 45 minutes trick.
How many legs are in one of your "trips"? If 4 (as it sounds like, connecting flight req'd home from YYZ), then 73% isn't that bad. The chances of 4/4 flights all being ontime is not that large.

According to Flightstats AC's Dec/Jan OTP was 71%; WS's was 74%.

With 71% OTP average and 4 legs, probability >=1 flight late = 1-(.71)^4 = 25.4% chance of all 4 being on time? = 3.81 trips having all flights on time = 11/15 trips having one or more legs late.

So yup, the math checks out

<The ^ should be the exponent... can't get it to not show a thumbs up.>
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: AC 2MM, ALT 75 k
late flights

13 AQM, 10 late
hkg-yvr late > 120 min,
hkg-yvr late > 100 min
hkg-yvr late > 60 min
2 x vvr - hkg late > 60 min,
yvr - hkg early 15 min
yyz-yow late 30 min,
2 x yvr - yow early > 20 min
yvr - yyz late 20 min
3 x yow-yvr late 20 min
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by acysb87
I have over 30 segments to date this year and the majority of them are late. Winter is tough in the east and de-icing,cold weather and staff shortages ,to name a few,are playing havoc with schedules
I had a YYZ/YVR flight in early February and we had 1 gate agent for a 777 HD to board passengers. This flight was continuing on to HKG and was almost 2 hours behind schedule.
I hear you OP,but there is a lot working against airlines in eastern NA this winter.
I have slightly less segments, but by % I am running about the same.

Last edited by ridefar; Feb 19, 2015 at 9:02 am
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
In my last 120 segments, by your definition, 5 have been late or cancelled.

So 4%
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC.SE
In winter? Most of them. Whether it's rain on the west coast or snow in the rest of the country, I've had frequent delays on flights since December. Only one cancellation, fortunately.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
In my last 120 segments, by your definition, 5 have been late or cancelled.

So 4%
Wow - lucky you.

I typically "lose" about 24 hours per year due to Air Canada delays.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by The Lev
Wow - lucky you.

I typically "lose" about 24 hours per year due to Air Canada delays.
My number is because I am active about my flights. If I see a flight will be very delayed or cancelled (2nd week of January for example, because of out east the flight YYC - YVR was going to be 4+ hour late) I will change my flight to one that won't be.

All of my delays have been only after boarding completed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.