FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC increases YYC-LHR, decreases YEG-LHR for S15 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1653056-ac-increases-yyc-lhr-decreases-yeg-lhr-s15.html)

yulred Mar 19, 2015 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Dorian (Post 24532837)
When is an airport, citizens and a city NOT worse off when a carrier cuts back or pulls out entirely?

It is a service reduction, less local dollars being pumped in, fewer jobs and often higher airfares due to reduced competition. It also hurts business as freight services are reduced and shipment times increased. Imagine the freight difference between YEGREK and YEGLHR?!

I have no idea what you are arguing as it is illogical.

My writing skills are terrible. I was merely pointing out that you felt that YEG was worse off not because of the reasons you've mentioned here, but on account of AC's superior J, which could gain traction on the back of ex-YVR's avoiding AC's product from there.

That aside, I never suggested YEG was better off. Only that with FI in the market, it's no worse off than before, even in terms of all of the reasons listed above.

YOWs experience with FRA leads me to believe YEG would have become seasonal anyway. At least there's FI to turn to now.

On competition, the argument would carry more weight if AC hadn't cut and run at the sight of a sub par second tier competitor entering. Suffice it to say, YEG is undoubtedly better off now in terms of competitive effects, than it was under AC only conditions.

As for freight, I don't see how a 3 weekly to LHR is better than a 4 or 5 weekly through KEF, but I m sure the cargo carriers operating to YEG can pick up the cargo instead.

Altaflyer Mar 28, 2015 8:28 am

May KLM start date confirmed:

http://news.klm.com/klm-launching-ed...n-19-may-2015/

The first AC non stop from YEG to LHR flies this Sunday with me on it :) Interestingly the YEG flight looks fairly booked and YYC rather empty with YYC having the lower fares too. Hmmm... I suspect YYC will be taking a big hit with the economy and while there will be a big impact in YEG too perhaps this will be cushioned as our economy never falls as fast as Calgary's does (or rise as fast either).

gcashin Mar 28, 2015 8:56 am

AC loves YEG - just look at all the R space!

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 24578608)
The first AC non stop from YEG to LHR flies this Sunday with me on it :) Interestingly the YEG flight looks fairly booked and YYC rather empty with YYC having the lower fares too. Hmmm... I suspect YYC will be taking a big hit with the economy and while there will be a big impact in YEG too perhaps this will be cushioned as our economy never falls as fast as Calgary's does (or rise as fast either).

Looks like a fair bit of space on both, with the YEG-LHR being on a 763 and the YYC-LHR being on a 772, so a pretty significant difference in aircraft size.

I do see that the YEG-LHR for Sunday (tomorrow) is J9R5, while the YYC-LHR is J9R0. Looks like AC is showing YEG some love by being more generous with R space ;-)

tcook052 Mar 28, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks for the note and good to see.

TheGreatestX Mar 28, 2015 10:18 am

May KLM start date confirmed:

http://news.klm.com/klm-launching-ed...n-19-may-2015/

Actually the first one flies tonight.

Altaflyer Mar 28, 2015 10:25 am

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX (Post 24579074)
Actually the first one flies tonight.

Well, it must be well hidden cause I don't recall seeing it when booking nor when checking various sources just now.

TheGreatestX Mar 28, 2015 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 24579104)
Well, it must be well hidden cause I don't recall seeing it when booking nor when checking various sources just now.

It's on flyeia.com's departures.

Altaflyer Mar 28, 2015 10:34 am

Someone should tell AC! :)

winnipegrev Mar 28, 2015 10:43 am

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX (Post 24579135)
It's on flyeia.com's departures.

It's not the first mistake EIA has ever made... there is no YEGLHR flight today.

Altaflyer Mar 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin (Post 24578716)
Looks like a fair bit of space on both, with the YEG-LHR being on a 763 and the YYC-LHR being on a 772, so a pretty significant difference in aircraft size.

So today's YEG-LHR is sold out in Y and YYC's flight has 90 seats unassigned in Y (significantly more than the diff in avail seats on 767 v 777). Biz is about equally assigned in the J cabin. Somehow I doubt AC's second LHR flight from YYC will stick around in summer - perhaps they'll shift it back to YEG or elsewhere. YVR-LHR is also sparsely populated today. Perhaps the real reason for axing the daily is that they NEED YEG feed elsewhere!

PS - I know it's just one day. Oh, and before anyone says it's all super cheap tickets, the YYC nonstop was over $100 cheaper a couple weeks ago.