FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC increases YYC-LHR, decreases YEG-LHR for S15 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1653056-ac-increases-yyc-lhr-decreases-yeg-lhr-s15.html)

YYCspotter Feb 7, 15 11:50 am

AC increases YYC-LHR, decreases YEG-LHR for S15

https://twitter.com/airlineroute/sta...17893209829377

Beginning May 2nd AC will increase YYC-LHR from 7x to 9x weekly, then from Jun 1st will increase further to 11x weekly. This marks the return of AC852/853 which hasn't flown since the fall of 2010.

AC850 YYC 1750 0935+1 LHR 333 D
AC852 YYC 1955 1150+1 LHR 763 1246

AC851 LHR 1105 1351 YYC 333 D
AC853 LHR 1615 1835 YYC 763 1246

The 4x weekly slots appear to have come from the YEG-LHR flight, signifying a reduction from daily to 3x weekly for the summer season.

Dorian Feb 7, 15 11:55 am

I can hear the EKG flatline sound coming from YEG.

winnipegrev Feb 7, 15 12:00 pm

Wow, I'm surprised. I'm all for frequencies over aircraft size (77W was operated last year, so this isn't THAT big of a capacity jump).

It seems like FI and KL in, AC out at YEG.

Maybe their plan is to cut service entirely, then force the EIAA to give AC the same reduced airport fee concessions they gave FI (and no doubt KL) to restart LHR service ;)

Originally Posted by YYCspotter (Post 24308909)
This marks the return of AC852/853 which hasn't flown since the fall of 2010.

I guess when you put it that way, AC is just back to capacity they had 5 years ago...

tcook052 Feb 7, 15 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by YYCspotter (Post 24308909)
The 4x weekly slots appear to have come from the YEG-LHR flight, signifying a reduction from daily to 3x weekly for the summer season.

Unsurprising as the first of the sked changes rolled out yesterday on NS summer tickets booked YEG-LHR.

Less NS service is rarely a good thing however for those connecting within EU the KL option is there and AMS is more efficient hub than LHR.

pappypappy Feb 7, 15 12:53 pm

Jesus. Are they trying to push me to another airline?! Direct YEGLHR was one of the only reasons I was sticking with them. I guess it will depend on the days as my trips are only a day or two. I guess it will depend on the days. Glad I haven't booked up any summer trips yet as I would be irked to (potentially) now be connecting.

TheGreatestX Feb 7, 15 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 24309227)
Unsurprising as the first of the sked changes rolled out yesterday on NS summer tickets booked YEG-LHR.

Less NS service is rarely a good thing however for those connecting within EU the KL option is there and AMS is more efficient hub than LHR.

Keep in mind, this summer Edmonton will still have more non-stop flights to Europe than last summer.

Summer 2013: 7 flights/week (all AC)
Summer 2014: 12 flights/week (7 AC, 5 FI)
Summer 2015: 13 flights/week (3 AC, 6 FI, 4 KL)

pappypappy Feb 7, 15 1:28 pm

FI isn't NS afaik - stops over in Iceland?

TheGreatestX Feb 7, 15 1:35 pm

Iceland is Europe...

winnipegrev Feb 7, 15 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 24309227)

Is AMS really more efficient now that Star operates from LHR T2?

pappypappy Feb 7, 15 1:43 pm

LOL :) OK, but I think you know what I mean. The OP is on flights to LHR. FI is a good low cost alternative, but it's still 2-3 hours longer travel time, which is a fair difference if you're only on the ground for 40-50 hours.

It's a hard sell that there is enough YYC originating traffic for 2+ more planes, verses 4 less from YEG. Hardly a new tiff between them (EIA/AC), but pretty crappy for a company that's been the recipient of a lot of govt largesse. YYC also has BA flying to LHR, so it's not purely a competition issue IMO. I guess YEGers will have to just suck it up even more.

PointWeasel Feb 7, 15 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev (Post 24309427)

Agree. ^

The T2 connections are perfectly fine in the new Queen's Terminal, compared to the gong show of the former T3 - T2 transfers.

I really don't see the points of 3x weekly YEG-LHR service, why not just pull the plug? No offence to YEGers, as I have family from there. ;)

Dorian Feb 7, 15 1:48 pm

I'll take T2 over AMS any day.

Dorian Feb 7, 15 1:49 pm

Maybe AC is taking in to account the downturn in the oil patch?

pappypappy Feb 7, 15 1:49 pm

AMS is probably more efficient if your connection flies from there, but with exchange to the 4 greater-London airports you have low-cost connections to practically everywhere in Europe. The T2 point is a good one, though I wonder how many summer (read: leisure) travelers worry too much about *A when looking at their $50 Easyjet flight :)

Altaflyer Feb 7, 15 1:51 pm

This may also be a smelling of blood in BA's world at YYC so could be a 2 for one play. Piss of the EIA gang and try to bully out BA from YYC. Would be nice for BA to fill those 4 days with a YEG tag but seems unlikely now. Hope they don't touch my Mar 29 flight to LHR.