Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I don't know what was with the YEG MLL on Wednesday but it seemed everyone was either on some super important phone call at full volume or forgot to plug their headphones in properly and had their tablet at full volume.

It was much quieter at the gate...
Last week at YVR domestic MLL, I couldn't bear the noise (people tapping on their phones or watching videos loudly) any longer, I left the lounge early and sat at the gate for an hour to get my peace and quiet. It was way nicer and less crowded at the gate area.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by j2simpso
What about holding a seat for a friend who went to the 'loo or is just getting of their connecting flight? In the past we've agreed that holding several chairs for yourself is bad etiquette. I'd be curious to see where the line is drawn on chair utilization. Given how crammed lounges are now getting with increased guests thanks to Priority Pass and kettles flying to Santa Banana in J combined with the limited space many lounges have (i.e. YUL TB) I won't be surprised one bit when one day we open up FT to see a story of Lounge Rage!
Holding several chairs for yourself isn't "for yourself". You can hold one chair. Or maybe N chairs for the N people in your party you came up on the elevator with.

The difference is stuff. If I'm in the lounge, my stuff is in the lounge. I'm in my seat, or its holding it for me as I'm getting food.

We are not yet at a point where we are hotseating. Carrying around our stuff like sherpas, foraging food and then hunting for a seat. Moving to make room for a party of 4? Well, maybe. Playing seat Towers-of-Hanoi because they let in 150 people into a 130 seat lounge? Sorry 20 newbies, wait your turn.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso

As someone who packs jam in their backpack from time to time (E.D. Smith all the way none of this Smuckers nonsense at the MLL) I take offense to that remark

Joking aside I often have a backpack and Boston bag when I travel to prevent the dreaded checked bag. When I enter a lounge I'll typically put my stuff on an empty chair then head to the buffet. Is this good etiquette since I'm not holding anything that would obstruct the way but I am also blocking a seat for myself?

Safe Travels,

James
As long as your jam is in containers up to 100ml.

I think that's fine, and pretty much the norm from what I've seen. Better to claim your spot than to try to juggle luggage and plates.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
LAX MLL 17MAR: waiting for AC788 which has a 75 min departure delay. No more than 15 pax here.

The F&B ladies are doing good work especially the one who is calling out the slobs who are reaching into the tortilla chip bowl and the cookie jar with their bare hands. In the last hour, she has caught 3 people doing it since I arrived at 2000.

"Sir, sir ! Please use the tongs !"
acse17 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: SE100k, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador
It'd be nice if they scrapped free lounge access for anything under 50k. That would clear up the lounges a little bit.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:53 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by acse17
It'd be nice if they scrapped free lounge access for anything under 50k. That would clear up the lounges a little bit.
Assuming that includes pax there because of premium CC access, then sure. But that would be very unlikely.
acse17 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: SE100k, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by NordsFan
LAX MLL 17MAR: waiting for AC788 which has a 75 min departure delay. No more than 15 pax here.

The F&B ladies are doing good work especially the one who is calling out the slobs who are reaching into the tortilla chip bowl and the cookie jar with their bare hands. In the last hour, she has caught 3 people doing it since I arrived at 2000.

At YVR I had to badger the attendant to take away the vat of soup when I saw that the lid had fallen in (as they're wont to do) and her first instinct was to just fish it out and wipe it down.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
That's the problem with the huge quantities in one serving container. Once they are contaminated, the whole batch is fouled.
It is not as though the consumption rate is so fast. They could easily top up the platters and soup vats slightly more often, a bit more labour for a lot less (a) wastage or (b) uncomplained-about contamination.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by flyquiet
That's the problem with the huge quantities in one serving container. Once they are contaminated, the whole batch is fouled.
It is not as though the consumption rate is so fast. They could easily top up the platters and soup vats slightly more often, a bit more labour for a lot less (a) wastage or (b) uncomplained-about contamination.
Exactly.

I suggested that to the then-manager of the former AC LAX MLL back when it was in T2 (in the old NZ lounge) after I saw one of the large serving spoons in the hummus bowl.

As with everything else, a few things come together in these situations:

1. People who put the serving spoon in the bowl instead of on the small metal dish in front of the food item. They don't care or that's what they do at home.
2. Lounge staff who aren't trained (or don't care) in the art of foodservice delivery, safety and maintenance

To be somewhat fair to AC, I see these issues in hotel Exec Club lounges, I see it in some other airline lounges. It is partly the customer but more importantly, it's the airline or hotel who offer the lounge and the companies who run the operations.

The YVR Dom MLL staff have always been better than other MLLs I've been to about telling customers about things.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:19 pm

Agreed that it is not exclusive to MLL. I saw this in the salad bar at Loblaws Maple Leaf Gardens as well: the tongs fully immersed in the salads.
I did not buy any salad.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, National Exec Elite
Gross people in the MLL

I was in the Trans-border MLL at YUL a few weeks ago. I watched the following occur in the span of about 10 minutes, which makes me wonder what kinds of gross things are happening when I am not looking.

Watched one lady walk up to the bowl of tortilla chips, put her fingers in the bowl, pick up a chip and put it straight in her mouth. Tongs are completely obvious. Yuck.

A few minutes later I had gone up to get a chocolate chip cookie out of the jar (with Tongs!) and noticed that someone had dropped one on the counter. Whoever that person was decided to leave it there and not throw it in the trash. In hindsight i should have just thrown it away myself, but I digress.... I go and sit down and while eating my cookie I watch another grown adult walk up to the jar and rather than taking a (possibly clean) cookie out of the jar, picks up the dropped cookie on the counter and proceeds to eat it.

Where do these people come from? I might expect this kind of behavior from a kid, but an adult? People are gross.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
Exactly.

1. People who put the serving spoon in the bowl instead of on the small metal dish in front of the food item. They don't care or that's what they do at home.
The problem with that is that the classy resting trays don't actually hold the spoons or tongs. If you look at them funny, the tongs will flip off and hit the floor.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 18, 2019 at 7:33 pm Reason: fix quote
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:43 pm

I have never understood tongs for the chips. Why can't they find a scoop or something that won't crunch the chips to smithereens, and maybe people will use the implement.

To avoid emotional trauma about the cookie, though, I will tell myself that the person that ate the cookie from the counter had removed it with tongs and placed it on the counter and forgot it there and came back to get it. Slightly less disturbing that way.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:29 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I have never understood tongs for the chips. Why can't they find a scoop or something that won't crunch the chips to smithereens, and maybe people will use the implement.

To avoid emotional trauma about the cookie, though, I will tell myself that the person that ate the cookie from the counter had removed it with tongs and placed it on the counter and forgot it there and came back to get it. Slightly less disturbing that way.
Tongs are supplied because providing a scoop would lead to much waste. It also helps me ..... I wont eat as many
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NordsFan

At least she was doing something - I regularly see people using their hands and taking dirty plates back to the buffet, the staff just watch and do nothing, and yes, I yell at customers who stick their hands in the dishes, or ask them to get a new plate (I don't normally yell at the dirty plate people). I've really unloaded on a couple people in the MLL over the years who were sticking their hands in serving dishes repeatedly. I know Canadians might not be used to us Americans yelling at someone in public, but if that's what it takes to help train these morons to act properly, so be it - I don't mind. Of course at the YYZ TB MLL, where I end up doing most of my yelling, when I tell the clueless staff they need to change whatever dish was contaminated, they just stand there like deer caught in the headlights until I can get a manager, some of whom are equally clueless. I've seen it outside of the MLL in Canadian restaurants, so I've just assumed there is a general lack of hygiene knowledge in Canada, which is strange for a country that makes it feel like a crime to cough in your hand instead of your elbow.

I probably see 1 person in a US airline club do this for every 4-5 people in a MLL, and in Asia, outside of generally dirty mainland Chinese, I would see this done .001 times for every 10 times in Canada, especially in Japan - and when I see it, it's always a foreigner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.