Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

J and Y food - what do you keep, what do you change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J and Y food - what do you keep, what do you change?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Soup: I was surprised to be served soup onboard a KLM flight. I've had it on BR, but never ever onboard AC. A hearty soup in the winter months might be a winner for AC.
I don't understand why AC doesn't offer a noodle soup type of snack like Asian airlines. IT's cheap and easy to prepare.
I give thanks that AC doesn't serve hotdogs to its J class pax on long hauls. I recall being served "sausages" for theThai Airways
Shortened your post as I quoted it, just wanted to add a few points.

1) +1 on the soup. Hearty soup is an awesome way to start a meal. Surprised that AC doesn't have that

2) Noodles - well, AC does have instant noodles do they not? (not sure about TPAC/TATL) but there are the sheety Campbell's? noodles. I'd like to add a qualifier if I may, but OMG the Taiwanese noodles on BR - I was SOO looking forward to that meal, and I sure wasn't disappointed. I love the DTF style of beef noodles on BR. So as long as AC doesn't use sheety instant noodles and gets proper noodles, that'd be awesome.

3) Have you tried BR's burger and fries? Mrs. SAP had it (and then I nagged her about it), she said the burger and fries were awesome. I thought they would come out soggy (but I didn't bother looking as I was passed out drunk when she was eating it). But no, she complimented it. If an Asian airline can provide a western snack (in lieu of dim sum which I remember reading on here that AC now provides), then surely a Canadian one can?

I have a personal goal of just flying to TPE and back in BR in paid J as a vacation this year (just for me). I was just putting that chapter behind in my life, but now transpacificflyer has me going on and on and on again
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:17 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Coffee: I am going to age myself here, but the AC coffee was much worse back in the day they were using Mother Parker's. I was so happy when they switched to Cara's Second Cup. Today, the coffee is less flavourful and robust. Either they are using less coffee to make a pot, or they have changed blends because some pax had complained that the earlier blend was too strong. Bring back a more robust blend.
Wow. If you actually are able to drink that Second Cup swill, then you and I live in different universes in the cosmos of present. I was seriously interested in your post until you said that.

I would rather lick the floor of an aft lav on a 77HD after a TPAC trip than drink that Second Cup stuff. Even on a very early morning departure where I need a caffeine fix I can't get it down.

OK. Sorry folks. my last post about the coffee. I promise.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Wow. If you actually are able to drink that Second Cup swill, then you and I live in different universes in the cosmos of present. I was seriously interested in your post until you said that.

I would rather lick the floor of an aft lav on a 77HD after a TPAC trip than drink that Second Cup stuff. Even on a very early morning departure where I need a caffeine fix I can't get it down.

OK. Sorry folks. my last post about the coffee. I promise.
I mean...I like a good analogy, but you really hate it THAT bad you'd rather lick the floor after a TPAC trip on a HD? I mean, I'd rather die!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
2) Noodles - well, AC does have instant noodles do they not? (not sure about TPAC/TATL) but there are the sheety Campbell's? noodles.
AC usually has seafood or beef noodles in J TPAC that they remove from packaging and put in a separate bowl for serving.

AC Y TPAC ex-YYZ and longer flights ex-YVR have Nissan Cup Noodles, chicken flavour.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by PLeblond

Second Cup is to coffee what rouge is to luxury air travel.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
AC usually has seafood or beef noodles in J TPAC that they remove from packaging and put in a separate bowl for serving.

AC Y TPAC ex-YYZ and longer flights ex-YVR have Nissan Cup Noodles, chicken flavour.
^ Thanks - haven't been on a AC TPAC either on points or paid in J (or Y) in a decade, so good to know.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by After Burner

Second Cup is to coffee what rouge is to luxury air travel.
HEY! You could write the new SAT exam
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by pleblond
wow. If you actually are able to drink that second cup swill, then you and i live in different universes in the cosmos of present. I was seriously interested in your post until you said that.

I would rather lick the floor of an aft lav on a 77hd after a tpac trip than drink that second cup stuff.....

ROTFLMAO
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I mean...I like a good analogy, but you really hate it THAT bad you'd rather lick the floor after a TPAC trip on a HD? I mean, I'd rather die!
Seriously? you loathe the AC java that much? On long haul, until last year I found it no worse than BR or TG. I'll report back on how it compares with CX next month If you ever fly on some Asian LCCs you'll be having kittens because carriers like Air Asia and Nok offer Nescafe instant. I think Bangkok Airways last month was instant too. I'd swear KLM was instant Nescafe like it's evil parent AF. The Novotel at BKK airport used to have nice coffee machines for breakfast diners. No more. A few weeks ago, they too went to instant. It joined the faux croissants as an indication that former stalwarts of French quality are on the decline. I take this as an indication of the imminent collapse of French culture. Then again, if one judges French cuisine by the disgusting meals AF serves, AC merit a Michelin star or two.

And now the big question, who do you think offers the best coffee out of the North American carriers? US airlines seem to offer the Maxwell House / Folgers type of swill.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Seriously? you loathe the AC java that much? On long haul, until last year I found it no worse than BR or TG. I'll report back on how it compares with CX next month If you ever fly on some Asian LCCs you'll be having kittens because carriers like Air Asia and Nok offer Nescafe instant. I think Bangkok Airways last month was instant too. I'd swear KLM was instant Nescafe like it's evil parent AF. The Novotel at BKK airport used to have nice coffee machines for breakfast diners. No more. A few weeks ago, they too went to instant. It joined the faux croissants as an indication that former stalwarts of French quality are on the decline. I take this as an indication of the imminent collapse of French culture. Then again, if one judges French cuisine by the disgusting meals AF serves, AC merit a Michelin star or two.

And now the big question, who do you think offers the best coffee out of the North American carriers? US airlines seem to offer the Maxwell House / Folgers type of swill.
I'm lost. I was referring to Mr. LeBlonds' experiences...
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Coffee while flying

Well, as long as no one flames me....
I was really impressed with this on my NRT-YVR, fin 805

I would also add that the brewed on the 788 YYZ-HNd was excellent.
Could it be the new equipment?
Could it be the FA who mastered the art of good coffee at 40,000?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
J TPAC or TATL Have Fogo de Chao do a Brazillian Churrascaria service. Mmmmm Picanha.... Give carnivores some proper meat to put them to sleep on those rock hard J lie flats.

Y- Get a much better sandwich offering. Those chicken and beef wraps I wouldn't even feed to my dog for fear he may get the runs and make a mess on my hardwood floors!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
I wish AC would vary the J menu on AC Express flights. I don't think I can eat another chicken pot pie. Plus the wine doesn't really help...

As for the on-board coffee, Baileys makes it enjoyable!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Answer

http://www.coffeecrossroads.com/coff...or-us-carriers
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:35 am
Formerly known as tireman77

It might be a question of situation that amplifies it. My usual breakfast is 4 to 6 double espressos. I'm now to the point where most filtered coffee is hard to drink. Timmies is blah....

So when I fly, I get up too early. Then trudge through the check-in/bag drop off/security/etc. OK, I'll have a couple of espressos in the lounge which are tolerable. Then on the plane, I need a coffee.... Doh!!!!

On the Nescafe angle, I know that filtered coffee is a North American thing. Its almost impossible to get in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America etc. The Italians invented Cafe Americano because of that.

To be honest, I've only been on one flight that had an espresso machine and it was pretty good, but it wasn't NA. Can't say any have shown to be that great. I guess I'm no longer expecting anything good on an airplane, so I just drink tea. For me, crappy tea is more tolerable then crappy coffee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.