Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Overbooking of Business Class ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile AC Overbooking of Business Class ?

Oh wise AC Sages,

I am new to this thread and could not find this topic covered previously.

I snagged some great Business Class tickets IST-ORD-IST on AC via YYZ in May and another set in July. The tickets booked out in "P" class. I was quite surprised at the cost ($1,839 USD R/T AI). My question, does AC ever overbook business class ? Do PAX get bumped ? I am a Star Gold (UA 1K) and I have seen UA overbook Business Class but they are generous on compensation, usually $1,500 on flights longer that 4,000 miles.

Does anyone have experience with being bumped out of business class on a paid business class ticket ?

You keen insight is appreciated. PS: any chance AC will use the 787 on this route this year ??
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
AC does not overbook J.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:02 am

No AC does not overbook J...

UA might because they can bump from J to F; AC does not have F.

And unless a 767 goes mechanical (and even then) there are about as much of a chance of ac putting an 87 on that run as well... *insert something incredibly un probable*

The 87s are going to new expansion routes or to reduce fuel consumption on the ultra long hauls to ASIA.

I would guess your ticket is so cheap due to competition on NA-IST.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: AC 75K
AC does not overbook J, but sometimes J can be found in an oversell condition is there is an aircraft change or inop seats.

No sign of the 787 for IST yet. There are only 2 788s and 3 789s coming in 2015 and I think all of the 788s are spoken for with the YVR-Asia routes and a few other YYZ-Europe routes, and the 789s will be for DEL/DXB.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: AC SE
As others have said, they don't overbook J. Even if they did end up in an oversell situation due to an inoperative seat or aircraft change, your chances of getting bumped are pretty slim. Any eupgrades and likely reward tickets would get bumped first before they bumped P fares, so even in the unlikely event of an oversell, it would be extremely rare to bump a paid biz class ticket.

And that is a pretty great deal to IST. Wish there were fares like that to IST from YYC.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
It does overbook J, it then sends the J cabin passengers to the Pilots seat.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Is every AC Forum participant going to answer this question?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
AC does not oversell J.

@Dorian
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gcashin
Any eupgrades and likely reward tickets would get bumped first before they bumped P fares, so even in the unlikely event of an oversell, it would be extremely rare to bump a paid biz class ticket.
I have seen them removing the last upgrade from the J cabin.

However they should not bump reward holders. Of course they might, but it would not be right. In any event, it would only be in extreme cases that they would need more than upgraders.

In case of significant equipment changes of course, regular IDB/VDB rules should apply.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gcashin
As others have said, they don't overbook J. Even if they did end up in an oversell situation due to an inoperative seat or aircraft change, your chances of getting bumped are pretty slim. Any eupgrades and likely reward tickets would get bumped first before they bumped P fares, so even in the unlikely event of an oversell, it would be extremely rare to bump a paid biz class ticket.

And that is a pretty great deal to IST. Wish there were fares like that to IST from YYC.
The ticket is from IST...
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 am

I assumed this was a mistake fare ........ It's not. Unreal.

AC's published, discount Business fare for Istanbul-Chicago under $2,000 r/t. Absurd. Turkish airlines must be just thrilled with their * Alliance partner.

Wonder if there's a bunch of ill-informed pricing experts in the TK forum complaining that TK prices are outrageous to Chicago compared to AC. Think of that next time you read simple posts here claiming AC's fares are for YYZ-XXX nonstop are a complete rip-off compared to UA/DL/TK etc
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I have a hidden city sale for J fare TK YYZ-IST which is $4000 add IST-CGK and the price drops to $2820 total. I don't get it. Double the distance 40% off?

TK dumped 9 J IST-YYZ reward seats for Mid Dec 2015. Snagged 3! They are gone now, pulled I think as I can't get us back direct from IST on TK 2 weeks later. Wife and son IST-LHR-YYZ with the final leg on an AC 788 in J, I come back alone direct from IST in J on a measly 767
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Dorian
Is every AC Forum participant going to answer this question?
Yes.

AC doesn't overbook J.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The ticket is from IST...
That's a key point. My mum is coming to visit in the summer and she wants to fly business class. From London a return to Halifax is $3700 rt. From Halifax to London the price is over $4000rt. From Dublin to Halifax via London is just a shade under $2000rt. Needless to say she'll be having a mini break in Dublin before heading over our summer holiday in the Maritimes lol
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I assumed this was a mistake fare ........ It's not. Unreal.

AC's published, discount Business fare for Istanbul-Chicago under $2,000 r/t. Absurd. Turkish airlines must be just thrilled with their * Alliance partner.

Wonder if there's a bunch of ill-informed pricing experts in the TK forum complaining that TK prices are outrageous to Chicago compared to AC. Think of that next time you read simple posts here claiming AC's fares are for YYZ-XXX nonstop are a complete rip-off compared to UA/DL/TK etc
It surprises me that this surprises you. There are numerous examples of these anomalous fares.

Just because it's published doesn't mean it's not a mistake. Now that it's been brought to light on FT, watch how quickly this fare disappears!

Does anyone remember YOW-YYZ-YVR-LAX-CUN-MIA-YYZ-YOW booked in J with unlimited stopovers for just over $1000?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.