FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1645129-air-canada-forum-lounge-thread-2015-a.html)

Geoflying Mar 24, 2015 8:53 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 24557170)

Incidents like this add perspective to a lot of the gripes and rumblings around here. At least for me they do.

+1

superangrypenguin Mar 25, 2015 9:02 am

I hope this won't end up being a lengthy discussion, but to those of you waking up today, Clarkson has been sacked. There goes Top Gear. What a sad day in human history. Most watched television show in the world, essentially killed as of this morning. People need to man up and Britain and its health and safety policies, kindly, grow a pair. Yes, i'm furious. Sigh. I don't usually get this way, but my Sunday stress reliever is, probably dead. :( Anyone feel happy, equally sad, angry? Anyone on here even know what the show is? lol

PLeblond Mar 25, 2015 9:10 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24562718)
I hope this won't end up being a lengthy discussion, but to those of you waking up today, Clarkson has been sacked. There goes Top Gear. What a sad day in human history. Most watched television show in the world, essentially killed as of this morning. People need to man up and Britain and its health and safety policies, kindly, grow a pair. Yes, i'm furious. Sigh. I don't usually get this way, but my Sunday stress reliever is, probably dead. :( Anyone feel happy, equally sad, angry? Anyone on here even know what the show is? lol

All 3 have contracts expiring this season. They'll all be back on the same show on another network next year.

And what does this have to do with AC?

superangrypenguin Mar 25, 2015 9:29 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 24562757)
All 3 have contracts expiring this season. They'll all be back on the same show on another network next year.

AC forum lounge thread. I thought it was for things that are non serious and serves as a place to talk about things as a AC forum community (aka chilling amongst friends, sorry if not the case!) I highly doubt that what you say is true. You're right, all 3 have contracts expiring but I know many of us follow TG on here (and in fact the planet), thought i'd post as its "breaking" news :) No other place will provide the production budget that TG has right from the get go. I hope the others dont renew their contract.

pych Mar 25, 2015 9:30 am

Love the show. Just recently laughed myself silly with the "Burma Special." However, I really don't think BBC had any other option. It still is a workplace and we would not condone any such actions at other workplaces. But you are right, I think that effectively kills the show. Clarkson made the show and it was the only Top Gear to watch (the other Top Gear shows are just horrible)

24left Mar 25, 2015 9:38 am

Originally Posted by pych (Post 24562875)
Love the show. Just recently laughed myself silly with the "Burma Special." However, I really don't think BBC had any other option. It still is a workplace and we would not condone any such actions at other workplaces. But you are right, I think that effectively kills the show. Clarkson made the show and it was the only Top Gear to watch (the other Top Gear shows are just horrible)

+1

krayZpaving Mar 25, 2015 9:48 am

...Clarkson...People need to man up and Britain and its health and safety policies, kindly, grow a pair.

Health and safety? Not relevant. He punched a coworker in the face and subjected him to a tirade of racially charged abuse for 30mins.

superangrypenguin Mar 25, 2015 9:53 am

Originally Posted by krayZpaving (Post 24562964)
Health and safety? Not relevant. He punched a coworker in the face and subjected him to a tirade of racially charged abuse for 30mins.

Before I stir the pot despite it being this thread I will shut up. What he did was wrong but I'm still totally upset that the show is in effect dead. Sigh. I'm so upset. I know its trivial to some of you but I lived for that show.

24left Mar 25, 2015 10:56 am

Meanwhile....YVR MLL

Just to confirm the Crown is safe.
For those who attended the YVR Do and listened to the stories of the missing bottles, well, the good news is....all is well and it did not end up in anyone's jacket

http://s10.postimg.cc/skow1jf5l/image.png

PLeblond Mar 25, 2015 11:44 am

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 24563302)
Just to confirm the Crown is safe.
For those who attended the YVR Do and listened to the stories of the missing bottles, well, the good news is....all is well and it did not end up in anyone's jacket

http://s10.postimg.cc/skow1jf5l/image.png

Well... THAT bottle didn't end up in anyone's jacket.

Geoflying Mar 25, 2015 12:05 pm

I heard he got upset when they tried to serve him leftover food from the LHR MLL.

krayZpaving Mar 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24562986)
Before I stir the pot despite it being this thread I will shut up. What he did was wrong but I'm still totally upset that the show is in effect dead. Sigh. I'm so upset. I know its trivial to some of you but I lived for that show.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the show too. Watched every episode. But he left the BBC with no choice.

Adam Smith Mar 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Geoflying (Post 24563645)
I heard he got upset when they tried to serve him leftover food from the LHR MLL.

I've only been to the new LHR MLL once, last July (shortly after it opened), but I was actually quite happy with the breakfast they had - pancakes and maple syrup, both of which were good.

ffsim Mar 25, 2015 10:07 pm

Love the show and still can't believe the BBC was stupid enough to sack him. They've been trying to get rid of him for years, so this was their chance. :td:

superangrypenguin Mar 25, 2015 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 24566288)
Love the show and still can't believe the BBC was stupid enough to sack him. They've been trying to get rid of him for years, so this was their chance. :td:

Like others have said, he isn't 100% clearly not at fault, my views of his retaliation and others aren't the same - fair comment. For me, if you dare put me on a long day and not give me a meal in J/Y, i'll maim someone, especially if I was cleared for an upgrade and someone put me in Y (Clarkson thought he was getting a steak when he got a carrot or whatever) (jokingly of course)....I'd maim someone. Just saying. I get his actions, I don't condone it, but I have posted even in my social media network, that his loss means i'm no longer watching Top Gear and the BBC can shove it.

In the words of the peacock,

They are morons. :D

tcook052 Mar 26, 2015 12:17 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24566576)
Like others have said, he isn't 100% clearly not at fault

Huh? Does that mean he's 100% at fault? He always was and good riddance to him and his boorish and violent behavior. Just MHO.

pych Mar 26, 2015 5:11 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24566576)
Like others have said, he isn't 100% clearly not at fault, my views of his retaliation and others aren't the same - fair comment. For me, if you dare put me on a long day and not give me a meal in J/Y, i'll maim someone, especially if I was cleared for an upgrade and someone put me in Y (Clarkson thought he was getting a steak when he got a carrot or whatever) (jokingly of course)....I'd maim someone. Just saying. I get his actions, I don't condone it, but I have posted even in my social media network, that his loss means i'm no longer watching Top Gear and the BBC can shove it.

In the words of the peacock,

They are morons. :D

Agree with he bolded. Without him I may as well watch Top Gear Australia and cringe :p

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 24566624)
Huh? Does that mean he's 100% at fault? He always was and good riddance to him and his boorish and violent behavior. Just MHO.

Yup. Violent behaviour in the workplace cannot be condoned. Just because he is popular, or because his show is the flagship BBC show, there need to be consequences. Like CBC learned with Gian Gomeshi

ffsim Mar 26, 2015 5:54 am

Of course he was 100% at fault. If you read the entire documentation the BBC released, there's no dispute on either side that he was at fault. But the BBC is still stupid for firing him.

You may not like him or condone his behaviour -- that's fine and fair. But he's an incredibly important component of the BBC and responsible in part for their continued existence. Dumping him is a foolish business move.

mromalley Mar 26, 2015 8:07 am

Exactly.

He assaulted someone. Ratings do not mean he gets a free pass on this. By his own admission he has been warned multiple times. Should the BBC have waited until he seriously hurt someone?

superangrypenguin Mar 26, 2015 9:10 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 24567356)
Of course he was 100% at fault. If you read the entire documentation the BBC released, there's no dispute on either side that he was at fault. But the BBC is still stupid for firing him.

You may not like him or condone his behaviour -- that's fine and fair. But he's an incredibly important component of the BBC and responsible in part for their continued existence. Dumping him is a foolish business move.

I agree. Right or wrong, Top Gear is a HUGE money maker for the BBC. Top Gear was initially a failure until Andy Wilman, Clarkson, Hammond and Jason? who was replaced by May took over. If you follow and watch every single episode (I have, at least 3x), you'll see the progression of the show. Even the first 3-5 seasons was a bit boring (to me), and it took a # of years before the dynamic trio found their groove. If you look at the humor, you'll quickly realize that, as May said yesterday, that they are very much a package.

Variations of Top Gear are, comparatively a failure. Top Gear US, Australia, and even Fifth Gear (blah). I'm curious to see where the show goes.

Was he wrong for punching the producer? Yes.

Is it a foolish business move? I argue so and agree with ffsim. Top Gear will tank, and the BBC which is already highly subsidized by the tax payer will suffer. There are also lots of politics at play at sacking Clarkson (if you follow BBC politics) so yes, punching someone is wrong, but at the expense of was it 50? million pounds of revenue a year (last I checked and ruining the multi million pound program) is a foolish business move.

Originally Posted by mromalley (Post 24567915)
Exactly.

He assaulted someone. Ratings do not mean he gets a free pass on this. By his own admission he has been warned multiple times. Should the BBC have waited until he seriously hurt someone?

He had been warned multiple times for derogatory comments, which the majority of the people who watch the show want to hear (right or wrong). It's like Ramsay when he started. No one goes around verbally abusing people and gets away with it....oh WAIT...;) I wasn't aware of another time he punched someone. My point is, he screwed up. He personally told the BBC execs, he apologized, and IMO he should be punished. But the BBC is also punishing the fans (not airing the last 3 episodes) and it is my PERSONAL opinion that sacking him and killing off the franchise (for all intents and purposes) was more political than anything. There are multiple ways to punish someone other than a sacking.

Police officers (i.e. a la G20 in Toronto) were charged with assault. I rarely see them fired.

ffsim Mar 26, 2015 11:42 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24568273)
He had been warned multiple times for derogatory comments, which the majority of the people who watch the show want to hear (right or wrong). It's like Ramsay when he started. No one goes around verbally abusing people and gets away with it....oh WAIT...;) I wasn't aware of another time he punched someone. My point is, he screwed up. He personally told the BBC execs, he apologized, and IMO he should be punished. But the BBC is also punishing the fans (not airing the last 3 episodes) and it is my PERSONAL opinion that sacking him and killing off the franchise (for all intents and purposes) was more political than anything. There are multiple ways to punish someone other than a sacking.

Police officers (i.e. a la G20 in Toronto) were charged with assault. I rarely see them fired.

Exactly. He messed up and the BBC had the opportunity to punish him in such a way that it wouldn't affect the viewers or its bottom line. They decided to act against their own best interests.

And your last sentence is very appropriate for those who think anyone committing some sort of violent action in any job would get automatically sacked. Bit of a naive, utopian view IMO

canadiancow Mar 26, 2015 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 24571503)
Nah, I'd send them an invoice for the Lysol/Clorox wipes I bought to clean the headrests, armrests and tables (especially now that other pax are asking me for some)
Don't forget to add YQ, and of course GST/HST/PST/QST
I mean, if I'm going to be a cleaner on AC planes, I should get paid, right, so I might throw in my pro-rated hourly fee.

:D:D:D

I think it may have been my Lysol wipes that set off the "explosives" detector at YYZ transborder security. Did I ever post that story on FT? I've never seen a CATSA agent so freaked out.

Needless to say, I don't carry those wipes anymore.

superangrypenguin Mar 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 24571652)
I think it may have been my Lysol wipes that set off the "explosives" detector at YYZ transborder security. Did I ever post that story on FT? I've never seen a CATSA agent so freaked out.

As I mentioned before to you, use Wet Naps. I use them extensively and have been swabbed for explosives a lot, never a positive, false or otherwise :)

24left Mar 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 24571652)

Very strange.

I've been carrying the travel packs of the Clorox wipes (buy them in the U.S.) for a year and a half, on all my last 56 flights, through TB, Dom and Int'l security, plus 4 different countries. Never set off any detector.

(BTW, I've seen CATSA agents sniff .5oz toothpaste and freak out)

canadiancow Mar 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 24571723)
Very strange.

I've been carrying the travel packs of the Clorox wipes (buy them in the U.S.) for a year and a half, on all my last 56 flights, through TB, Dom and Int'l security, plus 4 different countries. Never set off any detector.

(BTW, I've seen CATSA agents sniff .5oz toothpaste and freak out)

Something showed up on the xray (this happens ALL THE TIME - most recently, it was my work badge) that made them want to swab my bag. It wasn't just a passive scanner. But yeah - I didn't realize those machines made noises like that :p

superangrypenguin Mar 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 24571758)
Something showed up on the xray (this happens ALL THE TIME - most recently, it was my work badge) that made them want to swab my bag. It wasn't just a passive scanner. But yeah - I didn't realize those machines made noises like that :p

For the record, I was there for that. It really was his work badge. I mean, WhatTheHeck??? Cow, should I be worried that i'm seeing you tomorrow?? What explosives are you working with?? YIKES. Nice knowing everyone :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

BOOM! :D

AA_EXP09 Mar 26, 2015 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 24562757)

What will The Stig do? :D

superangrypenguin Mar 26, 2015 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 24571896)

He's been booted.

We now only have the Stig's discount cousin. :D:D:D:D (look at the outfit) :D

http://jalopnik.com/jeremy-clarkson-...k-t-1692575093

canadiancow Mar 27, 2015 12:57 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24571784)
For the record, I was there for that. It really was his work badge. I mean, WhatTheHeck??? Cow, should I be worried that i'm seeing you tomorrow?? What explosives are you working with?? YIKES. Nice knowing everyone :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

BOOM! :D

Uh, you were not there for the explosives. That was another time.

The machine the put the swabbed material in makes a very loud noise when it detects something bad. Much louder than the "all clear" sound.

PLeblond Mar 27, 2015 6:01 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 24571896)

As much as I don't think this is the place to discuss that amazing show....

I noticed not too long ago that Discovery became Discover Velocity. A 'car centric' channel in the Discovery Channel family.

The top car show in the world, hands down, is now in peril for the BBC. All 3 hosts will be UFA at the end of the season, and the biggest car crazy market in the world has a channel dedicated to cars.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Would anybody be surprised if they ended up in the US with Discover Velocity?

As for The Stig... No one knows it was me, so lets keep that between us.

superangrypenguin Mar 27, 2015 6:14 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 24572876)

The truth revealed. haha!! :D:D

superangrypenguin Mar 27, 2015 6:21 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 24572164)
Uh, you were not there for the explosives. That was another time.

The machine the put the swabbed material in makes a very loud noise when it detects something bad. Much louder than the "all clear" sound.

Oh. Why were they concerned about your plastic badge again?

Adam Smith Mar 27, 2015 7:48 am

As much as I don't think this is the place to discuss that amazing show....

I noticed not too long ago that Discovery became Discover Velocity. A 'car centric' channel in the Discovery Channel family.

The top car show in the world, hands down, is now in peril for the BBC. All 3 hosts will be UFA at the end of the season, and the biggest car crazy market in the world has a channel dedicated to cars.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Would anybody be surprised if they ended up in the US with Discover Velocity?

We're on the same wavelength! "Coming soon to Discovery Velocity, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May and yes, the Stig, present Overdrive" (what's higher than top gear? Overdrive).

24left Mar 27, 2015 8:03 am

Originally Posted by adam.smith (Post 24573334)
We're on the same wavelength! "Coming soon to Discovery Velocity, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May and yes, the Stig, present Overdrive" (what's higher than top gear? Overdrive).

^^^^^^^^^

ffsim Mar 27, 2015 8:05 am

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 24573422)
^^^^^^^^^

Am I the only one hoping they end up on Netflix so I can enjoy some genuine, expletive-laden language? I am? Sorry, as you were.

:D

24left Mar 27, 2015 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 24573434)
Am I the only one hoping they end up on Netflix so I can enjoy some genuine, expletive-laden language? I am?
Sorry, as you were.

LOLOL. Agree. With the expletives part. :D

(I suspect wherever they end up, Clarkson might be on a bit of a leash and the network's insurance company will have to up their coverage)

ffsim Mar 27, 2015 8:13 am

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 24573458)
LOLOL. Agree. With the expletives part. :D

(I suspect wherever they end up, Clarkson might be on a bit of a leash and the network's insurance company will have to up their coverage)

Hahahaha good point. It's not like the network can go to its insurer and say, à la Jezza, "what could possibly go wrong?"

PLeblond Mar 27, 2015 8:17 am

"But these go to eleven..." - Nigel Tufnel

superangrypenguin Mar 27, 2015 8:36 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 24573434)
Am I the only one hoping they end up on Netflix so I can enjoy some genuine, expletive-laden language? I am? Sorry, as you were.

Totally agreed. I hope he can one day say whatever he wants when he wants. What he says is totally not appropriate but he gets away with it because the majority of the public either a) agree or b) know its in jest. TV today is so politically correct its sad. Even Gordon Ramsay has toned it down.*

* = to each their own. Just sharing my own opinions. Like the ignore button on FT, if someone doesn't like watching his programs, then well, don't. To the other 4 million people who used to turn to TG...well we'll continue watching whatever Jezza presents. :D

ffsim Mar 27, 2015 8:41 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24573625)
* = to each their own. Just sharing my own opinions. Like the ignore button on FT, if someone doesn't like watching his programs, then well, don't. To the other 4 million people who used to turn to TG...well we'll continue watching whatever Jezza presents. :D

4 million? it's been averaging well over 5 million all decade, and that's only UK viewers! Give the show some credit :p