Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Latitude Flight Pass Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Latitude Flight Pass Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Latitude Flight Pass Questions

I'm strongly considering (95% there) getting a couple Latitude Flight Passes for next year. The ability to book into Y last minute (1 hr before flight), the ability to cancel without a fee and ability to comp up to available J basically sells it for me.

Questions:

1) Do the routing rules change often? or are they fairly static? If they change do they honour the rules from when you bought it or are you stuck with the new routes?

2) I assume that if cities change they do honour what you originally bought? But again would like this confirmed.

3) Do people bother using eups early and then switching it at T-48? or do most just wait until T-48 for the comp up because 99% of the time Domestic J isn't full at T-48?

Thanks to those who have experience on this .
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I'm strongly considering (95% there) getting a couple Latitude Flight Passes for next year. The ability to book into Y last minute (1 hr before flight), the ability to cancel without a fee and ability to comp up to available J basically sells it for me.

Questions:

1) Do the routing rules change often? or are they fairly static? If they change do they honour the rules from when you bought it or are you stuck with the new routes?

2) I assume that if cities change they do honour what you originally bought? But again would like this confirmed.

3) Do people bother using eups early and then switching it at T-48? or do most just wait until T-48 for the comp up because 99% of the time Domestic J isn't full at T-48?

1) Routing rules are quite static, no different from revenue tickets. It is unusual for them to change. However, if they do change, you are generally subject to the new ones.

2) Generally you'd benefit from cities added to a pass type and lose access to those removed. However, it's unusual for a city to be removed from a pass unless it's no longer served by AC, and in that case you're stuck anyways. Realistically, major changes are unlikely. They aren't randomly going to remove FRA from the Europe passes, or YUL from the East-West Connector. If something's added or removed it's probably due a change in service.

3) I always upgrade and change at T-48, but I generally travel routes where it's very possible J might be gone by T-48.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Awesome! Thanks for the quick and meaningful feedback! The big reason I was asking #1 is because on a number of NA FP's I saw routings that are not for sale which I found interesting, and would be beneficial to my travel patterns / times / etc.

I know it's always "subject to change" but knowing they don't change often is important to me.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I always eUp when I book (if I'm outside the 48 hour window) and switch later. That lets me reserve the seat I want before the eUpgraders can take it

SFO-YTZ used to be available. It isn't anymore. I haven't needed to fly downtown since they removed it, so I haven't tried to get them to honour what I paid for, but my guess is they'd say "tough".

I really like the Y FP, and I'll probably buy another, although I'm still considering if the J world pass is worth it.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
J flight pass is worth it for Asia. Latitude is worth it for Europe. For North America I book Flex.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by kerfluffer
J flight pass is worth it for Asia. Latitude is worth it for Europe. For North America I book Flex.
I have missed a stupid number of upgrades as S100K on M fares in North America (not many people ahead of me on those upgrade lists). The NA Latitude FP is effectively guaranteed J, and a lot more flexible than a Flex FP.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have missed a stupid number of upgrades as S100K on M fares in North America (not many people ahead of me on those upgrade lists). The NA Latitude FP is effectively guaranteed J, and a lot more flexible than a Flex FP.
And a lot more expensive...I swear on bad days in my marriage, I think about how much more fun it would be to get a divorce and just enjoy my passion - flying. I'm recently married and no kids - $2/month for a year in spousal payments. Done. LOL Your lifestyle always comes top of mind during fights I'm jealous.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by kerfluffer
There's no free upgrade with the Lat Europe Pass, so with the increase in eUp credits required that pass is less "worth it" for non-SEs.
I've had about a dozen Latitude passes of various types and found them very convenient. For the NA ones I generally book in advance and then use eUp credits. On occasion I'll switch at T-48, but usually I can't be bothered. That may change this year!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
For the NA ones I generally book in advance and then use eUp credits. On occasion I'll switch at T-48, but usually I can't be bothered. That may change this year!
In IRROPS, the benefit of being in J instead of R is astronomical.

Every airport agent sees you in J and will put you on any flight. With R, a lot of them will only move you onto another flight in Y and put you on the waitlist.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
It's only eUps for upgrade to J with a Europe latitude pass. No fee, for any Aeroplan class. The only change is number of eUps.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
In IRROPS, the benefit of being in J instead of R is astronomical.

Every airport agent sees you in J and will put you on any flight. With R, a lot of them will only move you onto another flight in Y and put you on the waitlist.
I agree with you, but it's probably more important for the routes you fly. It's never been an issue for me. I've been using the Lat passes mostly for Europe and YYT. Europe doesn't have the complimentary upgrade feature, and in any IRROPS situation from YYT (there have been more than a few) I've always ended up with a J seat.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
I agree with you, but it's probably more important for the routes you fly. It's never been an issue for me. I've been using the Lat passes mostly for Europe and YYT. Europe doesn't have the complimentary upgrade feature, and in any IRROPS situation from YYT (there have been more than a few) I've always ended up with a J seat.
OP was talking about FPs with the complimentary upgrade feature, so I thought that's all we were talking about
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
I feel your pain. I've got quite a few upgrades this year (almost burned through all my e-ups domestically) but still missed out on quite a few upgrades. Then again I'm on G fares so ...

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm recently married and no kids - $2/month for a year in spousal payments.
:-: :-: :-: $2/mon :-: :-: :-: seems hella cheap. Do the divorce! @:-) @:-) @:-)
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Sean Peever

Questions:

I'll weigh in although everyone seems to have covered it... figured since I have been using these Lat FPs ad nauseum I'll give it a go:

1. No, not really. No different than AC changing routes often in general which does not happen much over time.

2. I have never experienced this "bait and switch" yet. If anything, I buy a pass, and they soon after add a new route to it instead, which is great.

3. Where the comp ug is available on said FP, yes, I grab the R space based on P space and then at T-48 I cancel, rebook, and then do the comp ug to J. AFAIK, there is no longer a way to do a change to J when R unless you call in, which I hate doing.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'll weigh in although everyone seems to have covered it... figured since I have been using these Lat FPs ad nauseum I'll give it a go:

1. No, not really. No different than AC changing routes often in general which does not happen much over time.

2. I have never experienced this "bait and switch" yet. If anything, I buy a pass, and they soon after add a new route to it instead, which is great.

3. Where the comp ug is available on said FP, yes, I grab the R space based on P space and then at T-48 I cancel, rebook, and then do the comp ug to J. AFAIK, there is no longer a way to do a change to J when R unless you call in, which I hate doing.

I very much appreciate you jumping in here yyznomad! I was even thinking of PM'ing you! I appreciate everyone's feedback and I love getting different points of view! But I also knew you are a huge buyer of these!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.