Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Giftmassive Giveaway, Free Promo Codes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Giftmassive Giveaway, Free Promo Codes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by canadiancow
1. The restrictions are all laid out in the rules, so you can read them before winning.

2. I'd hesitate calling something hacking if all I'm doing is modifying code that's on MY computer. I'm not sitting here penetrating AC's servers (or is it Votigo's servers?), although given how poorly a lot of this code was written, it wouldn't surprise me if it weren't too difficult.

But to clarify: I did not "win" anything. I manipulated the Javascript to think I had won, and then it gave me a contact form I could fill out to redeem my free flight. I did not fill out this form.

I have two suggestions for people writing code like this.
1. Do not put important logic on the client. Do not send down every possible outcome and have Javascript determine what to show based on a variable. Send down only what you need. This also saves bandwidth.
2. View source on https://giftmassive.aircanada.com/ and on https://www.google.com/. Notice a difference? One has comments and readable text all throughout. The other does not. Had they run their pages through some kind of optimizer, it again would require less bandwidth, and I probably would have given up trying to make sense of it long before figuring out what I needed to do to "win".
I don't get any warm and fuzzy feelings about trying to advise AC IT what they did wrong with so many AC lurkers (both unofficial and official) on FT.

Even when there are obvious errors, rarely does someone reach out to say "you were right, thank you for pointing that out for us".

Just sayin'.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
... I manipulated the Javascript to think I had won, and then it gave me a contact form I could fill out to redeem my free flight. I did not fill out this form....
Sorry if you misinterpreted my use of the word "hacking" - I meant it in the nicest possible way - i.e. meaning exactly what you have described here
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Geoflying
Sorry if you misinterpreted my use of the word "hacking" - I meant it in the nicest possible way - i.e. meaning exactly what you have described here
I was more worried about what OTHER people might think, hence why I clarified exactly what I did and did not do
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
This contest is a bit annoying as far as getting multiple emails...but what's with the complaints? If you don't wanna do it that's fine.

I got a 20% code and I'm likely to use it. It's not a huge savings, but I don't buy flex out of pocket, it's just not worth it imo. So for me IF I buy from AC it's tango, from UA it's whatever the lowest fare is as well.

So if I can turn a $935 YVR-YYZ-BOG trip to $815, that's $120 back in my pocket. Sure I'd rather it was flex, but I'm not getting that price in Flex anyway. It would be really nice if the code were 20% ANY base fare then they could stipulate to a max of like $200 savings or something, but still this means I can ride AC metal which is better than UA for a UA price, the miles won't be the same, but they'll be similar.

If anyone gets the free flight and for some reason doesn't want it, I'll gladly take it .

Canadiancow, I'd be interested in hearing what the restrictions were on your winnings.
If you've seen multiple emails its because others have manipulated the url to see your coupon code. So, in that case there is no guarantee it will not be used when you go to use it.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:33 pm
alc

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Thanks for the clarification. Thought it was too easy to be true!

However, in this particular case with the discounts being restricted to AC flights is it not possible to search the AC website to build a multi-stop itinerary to cover all valid destinations served by AC only?

(My test on GF was YSB-YYZ-YEG-YYZ-YAM)

I'd love to know if I can do more on GF than on Matrix other than link to AC to buy!
Don't want to go over-topic too much about GF on this thread, so I will just comment that GF will be able to price out the ticket with "publish" routing that don't show up on AC web site. Most like, cheaper than AC Web site.

For example, try play with YTZ-YOW-YQT, you can get YTZ-YUL-YOW-YWG-YQT where you will not be able to do on AC Web Site, at least not at the price that show on GF.

If someone can find out a way to add Promo Code via GF, that will be great use for me.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alc
Don't want to go over-topic too much about GF on this thread, so I will just comment that GF will be able to price out the ticket with "publish" routing that don't show up on AC web site. Most like, cheaper than AC Web site.

For example, try play with YTZ-YOW-YQT, you can get YTZ-YUL-YOW-YWG-YQT where you will not be able to do on AC Web Site, at least not at the price that show on GF.

If someone can find out a way to add Promo Code via GF, that will be great use for me.
I really looked into that several months ago, and I could not find a way to do it. That's not to say it's impossible, but it's definitely not supported, and I couldn't find an unsupported way
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
On the third day of Christmas, my true love (not) gave to me....

- another damn code for Tango fares, 3 for 3, of the 12 days of Christmas so far.

There had better be some gifts I can use, because right now all Air Canada is offering is an ugly sweater with a reindeer on the front.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I see they've fixed the glitch where they send you the email confirming the prize you won, BEFORE you even picked a box. The REVEAL PRIZES box was just a complete fabrication as there was no way you were going to get the Free Trip regardless of which box you picked.

AC must really be having a laugh over this.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Suddenly running much slower today. Crashed, told me it couldn't complete my request, then when I tried to re-load it told me I'd already entered today.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:09 pm

Discount codes to share

Got an e-mail today from AC inviting to "play and win". The e-mail says that I can "give to someone else to use" whatever I win, so here are the codes. They are good until 12/30 for travel from 1/7 till 6/15. Tango fares only, sadly. AC, AC Express and AX rouge, any destination.

HKMJUNU1 - 10% off
HXEMPZK1 - 20% off
HXD9FQJ1 - 20% off
J9E8PCA1 - 15% off
JAQD6ZC1 - 15% off
HYHCRX21 - 20% off
HYETTW91 - 20% off
J9U3BGB1 - 15% off

Merry Xmas to every one, and Happy New Year!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I see they've fixed the glitch where they send you the email confirming the prize you won, BEFORE you even picked a box. The REVEAL PRIZES box was just a complete fabrication as there was no way you were going to get the Free Trip regardless of which box you picked.

AC must really be having a laugh over this.
I swear I picked one today which was "Try Again", surrounded by 3 "Free flight" and a 15%
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
I swear I picked one today which was "Try Again", surrounded by 3 "Free flight" and a 15%
It's a shell game. Doesn't matter which box you picked. They already decided what you were getting before you clicked anything. The REVEAL PRIZES link is designed to make you think you came so close to getting a free flight. Yeah right.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good on you. There's someone of questionable moral character trying to trade one of these 15% codes on Coupon Connection.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Good on you. There's someone of questionable moral character trying to trade one of these 15% codes on Coupon Connection.
Personally, I found it pretty funny lol.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
On the other hand, I entered, clicked all of the T&C and poof, no email with code.

Since I get my normal emails from AC, since I did receive the personalized email inviting me to play, and since I actually entered my address in the space, curious where the email with my code is?

Oh, right, there are none left because other people used multiple emails to get multiple codes and "they ran out"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.