Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Giftmassive Giveaway, Free Promo Codes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Giftmassive Giveaway, Free Promo Codes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Exclamation Methinks you seem to have this $180 base fare wrong

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Wow, that's nuts, base fare for a YVR-YYZ-BOG-YYZ-YVR $180...I love airline pricing.
I just did a quick check re Tango fares for this route and I get correct results on AC.com.

Example: YVR-YYZ-BOG dep YVR Apr 4, dep YYZ Apr 5
Return: DEP BOG May 4th: via YYZ to YVR same day

Base Fare: $488.99; Total Fare: $822.75

With 20% discount applied:

Base Fare: $391.19; Total Fare: $724.75

Difference: $98 discount, which is just about 20% of $488.99!

Discountable "Base Fare" is the first amount displayed after clicking the "details" button.

(If anyone wants my 20% code please PM me as I won't be able to use it.)
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Yea I think I might've read the wrong line because I came up with those same results today.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Got 20% off Tango. No goof for me, but might be useful for a non-status family member.
--
13F
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by why fly
you should have been at your Christmas party why are you looking at AC site?
Uh... my holiday party was a week ago

Anyway, as for this contest, lol. When code runs on the client, you lose.

Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Nice hack! Wonder if it is a Flex fare that can be upgraded....
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:58 pm

Contest is totally broken, you can see the codes everyone else has won and to make matters worse, it emails you every time someone does that. If you've been getting multiple emails and wondering why, its because other people have pulled up your discount code.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:45 am

So what does a 20% Tango discount actually amount to?

Just called our adult children to see if they wanted any of these 20% discount codes and we had an interesting discussion re their potential value.

With the discounts being restricted as usual to base fares but in this case further restricted to only Tango fares, savings potential are somewhat limited.

Has anyone figured out the most that can be saved, bearing in mind that only AC flights may be used? SYD-YYZ-LHR and NRT-YYZ-TLV are obvious, but since most of us live in Canada or the US the above routings are impractical although valid.

Personally I'd rather see a 10% off Executive Business or 15% off PE! I know; dream on!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: status-free
AC promo code on booking via Google flights

I may be asking too much here, but is there any way to use an Air Canada promo code (like the ones they're giving away now) if I've reached the Air Canada site via Google Flights?

Obviously I want to plan out my itinerary on ITA and then google flights, so that I can get all the segments I want, but when Google flights then transfers me over to the AC site to actually buy the ticket, I'm past the screen where one normally types in the promo code.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:04 am

This might help

Originally Posted by biglinguist
I may be asking too much here, but is there any way to use an Air Canada promo code (like the ones they're giving away now) if I've reached the Air Canada site via Google Flights?

Obviously I want to plan out my itinerary on ITA and then google flights, so that I can get all the segments I want, but when Google flights then transfers me over to the AC site to actually buy the ticket, I'm past the screen where one normally types in the promo code.
I know nothing about Google Flights but your question prompted me to check it out.

Just did a dummy booking (YSB-YEG) on Google Flights and when the purchase option appeared I clicked "Buy with Air Canada".

Then wthin AC there is a button to "Modify your search".

Clicking that button brings up a window with a number of options, the last of which is a link to open a window where you can input or remove a promo code. I did this and it works, amending the original Google Flights reservation within AC and reducing the base fare by 20%.

Please note this is just a first time visitor to GF so there may be better easier ways to do this!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:22 am
alc

Originally Posted by TemboOne
I know nothing about Google Flights but your question prompted me to check it out.

Just did a dummy booking (YSB-YEG) on Google Flights and when the purchase option appeared I clicked "Buy with Air Canada".

Then wthin AC there is a button to "Modify your search".

Clicking that button brings up a window with a number of options, the last of which is a link to open a window where you can input or remove a promo code. I did this and it works, amending the original Google Flights reservation within AC and reducing the base fare by 20%.

Please note this is just a first time visitor to GF so there may be better easier ways to do this!

This only work if what you found on Google Flights is search-able on AC Website. Usually it is those multi-cities search result on Google Flights.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by alc
This only work if what you found on Google Flights is search-able on AC Website. Usually it is those multi-cities search result on Google Flights.
Thanks for the clarification. Thought it was too easy to be true!

However, in this particular case with the discounts being restricted to AC flights is it not possible to search the AC website to build a multi-stop itinerary to cover all valid destinations served by AC only?

(My test on GF was YSB-YYZ-YEG-YYZ-YAM)

I'd love to know if I can do more on GF than on Matrix other than link to AC to buy!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by donnyk
Contest is totally broken, you can see the codes everyone else has won and to make matters worse, it emails you every time someone does that. If you've been getting multiple emails and wondering why, its because other people have pulled up your discount code.
On my codes the letters that pop up upon submit are different than the code in the resultant email.

Interestingly, refreshing the container webpage (via F5) multiple times shows it makes no difference which of the gifts is unwrapped as the code is always the same so do not get frustrated by (or even bother) revealing all.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
This contest is a bit annoying as far as getting multiple emails...but what's with the complaints? If you don't wanna do it that's fine.

I got a 20% code and I'm likely to use it. It's not a huge savings, but I don't buy flex out of pocket, it's just not worth it imo. So for me IF I buy from AC it's tango, from UA it's whatever the lowest fare is as well.

So if I can turn a $935 YVR-YYZ-BOG trip to $815, that's $120 back in my pocket. Sure I'd rather it was flex, but I'm not getting that price in Flex anyway. It would be really nice if the code were 20% ANY base fare then they could stipulate to a max of like $200 savings or something, but still this means I can ride AC metal which is better than UA for a UA price, the miles won't be the same, but they'll be similar.

If anyone gets the free flight and for some reason doesn't want it, I'll gladly take it .

Canadiancow, I'd be interested in hearing what the restrictions were on your winnings.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC SEMM

Canadiancow, I'd be interested in hearing what the restrictions were on your winnings.
I'm willing to bet cc hacked the local copy of the webpage to get that screen capture
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Geoflying
I'm willing to bet cc hacked the local copy of the webpage to get that screen capture
1. The restrictions are all laid out in the rules, so you can read them before winning.

2. I'd hesitate calling something hacking if all I'm doing is modifying code that's on MY computer. I'm not sitting here penetrating AC's servers (or is it Votigo's servers?), although given how poorly a lot of this code was written, it wouldn't surprise me if it weren't too difficult.

But to clarify: I did not "win" anything. I manipulated the Javascript to think I had won, and then it gave me a contact form I could fill out to redeem my free flight. I did not fill out this form.

I have two suggestions for people writing code like this.
1. Do not put important logic on the client. Do not send down every possible outcome and have Javascript determine what to show based on a variable. Send down only what you need. This also saves bandwidth.
2. View source on https://giftmassive.aircanada.com/ and on https://www.google.com/. Notice a difference? One has comments and readable text all throughout. The other does not. Had they run their pages through some kind of optimizer, it again would require less bandwidth, and I probably would have given up trying to make sense of it long before figuring out what I needed to do to "win".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.