Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC among others sued for price fixing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/57456...3-airlines.htm
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by LearningToFly

And why such a difference between what the Canada fined Qantas versus the other countries?

"Over the six-year period, Qantas was fined by the US Department of Justice $65 million, the Canadian Competition Authority $155,000, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission $20 million, the European Commission $12 million and the New Zealand Commerce Commission $4.8 million over the price-fixing cartel that the Flying Roo was part of."
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

A quick search returned nothing. I hope someone could explain further. Besides numbers, it's interesting to know that we don't know much.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Dunno about others but I've seen this topic appear, disappear and reappear for almost seven years.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...t=price+fixing

This new lawsuit by DB seems to be aimed at prompting the airlines, AC included, to pay compensation for cargo price fixing but is that likely since an EC fine was presumably paid in 2010?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
And why such a difference between what the Canada fined Qantas versus the other countries?

"Over the six-year period, Qantas was fined by the US Department of Justice $65 million, the Canadian Competition Authority $155,000, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission $20 million, the European Commission $12 million and the New Zealand Commerce Commission $4.8 million over the price-fixing cartel that the Flying Roo was part of."
Fine levels are surely dependent upon enacted legislation which varies between states. It is also quite possible that Qantas carried less cargo to/from Canada that it did to/from the EU and NZ and that it did to/from/within Australia.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Flyertalk "Must Read" Home Page Headline: "Multiple Airlines Sued for Price Fixing"

The actual thread had a meaningful title: "AC among others sued for price fixing"

But on the Flyertalk home page the headline was rewritten as: Multiple Airlines Sued for Price Fixing. By definition, price fixing is an activity undertaken by two or more entities.

I'd either say "13 Airlines Sued.." or "Airlines Sued..." but if price fixing is involved there will always be multiple.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by pdsales
I'd either say "13 Airlines Sued.." or "Airlines Sued..." but if price fixing is involved there will always be multiple.
Or, you know, multiple combinations of entities were involved, so multiple is the correct term.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

I'm thinking because QF carries little Canadian cargo that it sets the prices for.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: *$ Green

First guess would be "because they said sorry".
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I'm curious though.

Everyone in life fixes prices.

Dealerships fix prices. Restaurants on the same street fix prices. Hair dressers fix prices. Lawyers fix prices. Truck drivers fix prices. The 7/11 fixe prices.

Everyone, no matter the industry, tries to sell at a price that will make a decent profit, without starting a price war. And people will always try to look at what the competition is charging and try to sell at the same price or just a hair below.

What I want to know:

Is AC "fixing" prices, or did it collude with other airlines to simultaneously raise prices?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by Indelaware
<snip> It is also quite possible that Qantas carried less cargo to/from Canada that it did to/from the EU and NZ and that it did to/from/within Australia.
Given that Qantas doesn't even fly to Canada, I think that's quite likely. Of course they can use agents and sub-contractors (such as other airlines), but I'm pretty certain its not a key market for them.

Compare NZ and EU (ie LHR) which are HUGE markets for them with many flights/day.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:54 pm

Ontario court certifies cargo price-fixing class-action lawsuit against Air Canada

http://business.financialpost.com/le...nst-air-canada

TORONTO • An Ontario judge has certified a class-action lawsuit that accuses Air Canada and several other international airlines of a price-fixing conspiracy that allegedly raised the cost of shipping air cargo to and from Canada for more than six years.

The case has been wending its way through the courts since February 2008, when the plaintiffs first filed to have it certified as a class action.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
some great news! Lets hope the other class action suits against AC are certified.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I'm curious though.

Everyone in life fixes prices.

Dealerships fix prices. Restaurants on the same street fix prices. Hair dressers fix prices. Lawyers fix prices. Truck drivers fix prices. The 7/11 fixe prices.

Everyone, no matter the industry, tries to sell at a price that will make a decent profit, without starting a price war. And people will always try to look at what the competition is charging and try to sell at the same price or just a hair below.

What I want to know:

Is AC "fixing" prices, or did it collude with other airlines to simultaneously raise prices?
"Fixing" and "Matching" or two very different legal animals - don't confuse the two. Fixing involves collusion - matching is what any business can do by simply observing their competition's behaviour.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:40 am

http://business.financialpost.com/le...t-price-fixing

EU court backs airlines, including Air Canada, reversing fine over air freight price fixing

Air France-KLM and 10 other airlines, including Air Canada, have won a challenge against a near 800 million-euro (US$1.2-billion) fine for fixing air freight charges, with Europe’s second highest court saying on Wednesday that it found the EU decision contradictory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.