Wiki Posts
Search

Absurd headphone rules

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Absurd headphone rules

Why does AC let you use earbud headphones connected to their system but not noise canceling ones during takeoff and landing? And you can use your iPad etc during this time, just as long as your earphones aren't plugged into it (earbud or otherwise).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
The reason for this is a two part answer:
1) connected to their system: If a PA is made, it pauses the entertainment system and the announcement comes through headphones (ie, if there is an emergency and how to proceed)
2) earbud, as if there is a power failure, you can still hear sound through it. In addition, in the event of an evacuation, they are a lot less likely to become stuck on something or to the person vs larger over the ear type)

Last edited by PilotTobe; Nov 26, 2014 at 7:44 pm Reason: More info
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:22 pm

If there should be an emergency situation, it'll be broadcast through the PA system. Your iPAD headphones won't hear it.

"If you think being prepared for an emergency is a pain-in-the-a$$, see what it is like to be unprepared..."
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:40 pm
F 1

On AC034 a few days ago, my seatmate told me a tale of how he once purchased the AC headphones, but only to then find his IFE system's audio wasn't functioning properly. When he asked the FA if he could have a refund for the (now useless) headphones, he was promptly denied. Now that's absurd!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
If there should be an emergency situation, it'll be broadcast through the PA system. Your iPAD headphones won't hear it.

"If you think being prepared for an emergency is a pain-in-the-a$$, see what it is like to be unprepared..."
I think the screaming and the "OMFG we're all going to die" looks around you would grab your attention. I'm guilty of leaving my headset connected to my phone and then tucking my phone underneath. Now, having said that, for my safety, I make sure that I don't pass out before takeoff (although as some of you have witnessed, sometimes that doesn't happen and I just pass out).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I think the screaming and the "OMFG we're all going to die" looks around you would grab your attention. I'm guilty of leaving my headset connected to my phone and then tucking my phone underneath. Now, having said that, for my safety, I make sure that I don't pass out before takeoff (although as some of you have witnessed, sometimes that doesn't happen and I just pass out).
Think of it this way, if there was a landing on water. Say your headphones are in, but you see people putting on life jackets AND INFLATING them (vs putting them on and inflating them before exiting the aircraft). The FAS would be instructing pax to not inflate them, but your bose headphones would say otherwise...

Yes I realize this is not a good example, but it is along similar lines of following the FA's commands
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PilotTobe
Think of it this way, if there was a landing on water. Say your headphones are in, but you see people putting on life jackets AND INFLATING them (vs putting them on and inflating them before exiting the aircraft). The FAS would be instructing pax to not inflate them, but your bose headphones would say otherwise...

Yes I realize this is not a good example, but it is along similar lines of following the FA's commands
You'd think everyone has watched that Mayday video of the SAA demise of pax inflating life jackets prior to exiting the aircraft...
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by hazcaddy

You didn't read the question,
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:20 pm

You'd think everyone has watched that Mayday video of the SAA demise of pax inflating life jackets prior to exiting the aircraft...
Haha isn't it the Ethiopian 767 :P
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Haha isn't it the Ethiopian 767 :P
Yes. That. My bad, haha
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
1) connected to their system: If a PA is made, it pauses the entertainment system and the announcement comes through headphones (ie, if there is an emergency and how to proceed)
2) earbud, as if there is a power failure, you can still hear sound through it. In addition, in the event of an evacuation, they are a lot less likely to become stuck on something or to the person vs larger over the ear type)
If it's good enough for US carriers to allow all of this....

I mean honestly if there's a true emergency, noise canceling headphones aren't going to make a bit of difference.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
This is assanine. So, I'm allowed to use earbuds during takeoff/landing, ONLY if the flight has IFE? But on all other metal (primarily CRJ200 and below), I have to remove them simply because there is no IFE, and supposedly therefore no ability for me to hear the FA's instructions? I guess I need to disregard the fact that all planes have rediculously loud PA's that would completely drown out anything coming from the IFE, my iPod, etc.

This logic makes my head hurt.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:03 pm

..... to Transport Canada, not the airlines.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
In all the years of AC flights I don't think I have ever heard an announcement come through the IFE. Maybe only in real emergencies? But if capable, why isn't it used for all announcements?

I'll never forget the first time I saw that episode.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.