Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
YYZ-ICN 29 Sept. Started boarding Zone 1 and then the other GA started boarding Zone 3 so Zone 1 was going to one GA and zone 3 to the other.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
AC 876 YYZ-FRA Sep 29. I arrived just as Zone 4 was called. They announced that all lanes should be used. As a result there were 30-40 people in the Zone 1 lane. Obviously, there were no priority privileges if you arrived late.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
YYZ-AMS last night... Wow.

I showed up right when they announced that anyone with any zone could use any lane. I'm so glad the advertised benefit of my status and fare was so obviously pooped on.

Last edited by canadiancow; Oct 1, 2018 at 11:14 am Reason: Typos
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I shower yup right when they announced that anyone with any zone could use any lane. I'm so glad the advertised benefit of my status and fare was so obviously pooped on.
Must have been the same gate crew as my FRA flight the night before. Major fail.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 172pilot

Must have been the same gate crew as my FRA flight the night before. Major fail.
Yeah FRA is not the best for AC priority boarding protocols. Even with the separate passport check priority line, they often don't enforce it.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:43 am

This was fun. Today, YYZ-LHR, they stuck Zone 1 directly behind a pillar.

We were sort of wondering if we would have to teleport through. At the last moment, they pushed all the Zone 2 folks to the side.

Bizarre

Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
This was fun. Today, YYZ-LHR, they stuck Zone 1 directly behind a pillar.

We were sort of wondering if we would have to teleport through. At the last moment, they pushed all the Zone 2 folks to the side.

Bizarre
Am I the only one who thought of platform 9 3/4 here?
I’d say enjoy the rain except it might actually be drier in the UK compared to this week in YYZ.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I watched an interesting gate lice/zone issue in FLL last week

For people who know FLL, the gates are not that great...

All that said, people were 'standing' in the zone one line while the inbound was still getting off the plane. Given the way FLL is designed, people had to move around the groups of people lining up.

I've just never understood it
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I showed up right when they announced that anyone with any zone could use any lane. I'm so glad the advertised benefit of my status and fare was so obviously pooped on.
Similar experience for YYZ-FRA this week. Showed up as Z5 was boarding and *just* as Z5 has been invited to use the Z1 line. Concierge had the look of "go figure" when I appeared immediately after that announcement. To her credit, she did stop the Z5 group who had crowded around the GA and had the GA process my boarding pass.

Oh the looks I got from the Z5 group there as I "cut-in" line.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:35 am

Outside of priority stowing your carry-on luggage, why do people prefer to board early? I almost always try to be the last one on-board as it minimizes my time on the plane.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by JetLife
Outside of priority stowing your carry-on luggage, why do people prefer to board early? I almost always try to be the last one on-board as it minimizes my time on the plane.
AC J (even narrow body) is often more comfortable than waiting at the gate. But in Y? Yeah pretty much just luggage.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:50 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by JetLife
Outside of priority stowing your carry-on luggage, why do people prefer to board early?
Exactly.

With the competition for bin space driven by stupid checked bag fees, it's one of the most useful parts of my FF status. Otherwise, I would love to board last.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Exactly.

With the competition for bin space driven by stupid checked bag fees, it's one of the most useful parts of my FF status. Otherwise, I would love to board last.
If I am at the gate and I normally am before boarding begins since I do not want to time my arrival too close to cut off, I will board in J as its more productive rather than hanging around the gate area and boarding last. On some planes, even J does not guarantee bin space as crew and Y pax dump their stuff in J or on some planes the bin space is tight. In Y, bin space is the key.
And its not always possible to board anytime as per ACs rules since some gates do not lend themselves to this unless you want to barge your way thru the crowd.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:26 pm

I also hate waiting in line behind 100 FOTSGs who seem to need a ridiculous amount of time to move forward, put their bag up and then spend a while sorting things out blocking the aisle. Boarding early avoids this - mainly because the rest of people boarding have a better idea of what's going on.

Same as the LHR priority security line - I don't think it's actually shorter ... but so much faster. And yes clearly both these examples including people who have paid for J. And perhaps I'm wrong here but I think most of these infrequent / first time / no idea how to operate effective people are in Y.
lcohen999 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
I also hate waiting in line behind 100 FOTSGs who seem to need a ridiculous amount of time to move forward, put their bag up and then spend a while sorting things out blocking the aisle. Boarding early avoids this - mainly because the rest of people boarding have a better idea of what's going on.
Wouldn't boarding last avoid this since everybody is settled by the time you get on the plane? Most of the morons seem to be the people who crowd around the boarding area before they've even announced boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.