Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: *$ Green
ANA boarding = Best boarding

ANA staff probably treats AC pax like idiots because we are.

Boarding NH271 was an eye opener. People gathered around, but we'll away from the gate, and only 2-3m before boarding.

2 agents on each side of the desk, NOT checking your boarding pass, since you have to scan it and it will let you through if you are boarding during the right zone.

No one crowded the gates.

Everyone boarded during their turn.

A 777-300 "HD" (read 10-abreast, 3 rows of "first-class" 2-3-2), boarded in 15m.

Boarding started at x:10, finished at x:25, left gate at x:30.

It took longer for my E90 AC flight to board.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

Boarding NH271 was an eye opener. People gathered around, but we'll away from the gate, and only 2-3m before boarding.

2 agents on each side of the desk, NOT checking your boarding pass, since you have to scan it and it will let you through if you are boarding during the right zone.

A 777-300 "HD" (read 10-abreast, 3 rows of "first-class" 2-3-2), boarded in 15m.

And this excellent post tells you all why stuff gets done there and not here.

Part of it is the system employed, part of it is the culture of the pax and the willingness to follow the process used.

We in the west tend to be self-absorbed/entitled/inward focused (yes, a sweeping generalization, so no flaming please). But think about it. Look at the chaos that is boarding North American-style, look at the insane stuff people take onboard, despite rules, fees, measuring devices.

IMHO, nothing will ever change much over here despite changing methodologies because the pax just want it their way. Watching a boarding process here looks like herding cats (exceptions being the gate lice).
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:33 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by 24left
And this excellent post tells you all why stuff gets done there and not here.

Part of it is the system employed, part of it is the culture of the pax and the willingness to follow the process used.

We in the west tend to be self-absorbed/entitled/inward focused (yes, a sweeping generalization, so no flaming please). But think about it. Look at the chaos that is boarding North American-style, look at the insane stuff people take onboard, despite rules, fees, measuring devices.

IMHO, nothing will ever change much over here despite changing methodologies because the pax just want it their way. Watching a boarding process here looks like herding cats (exceptions being the gate lice).
Don't forget that the Japanese carriers tend to have 2 to 4 times the staff at the gates.

That's not an insignificant factor in the boarding efficiency.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PLeblond
As for the Mythbusters, I've seen the episode, but I believe they had an inherent fault in their methodology: The same people boarding and deplaning repeatedly, will inherently get faster after a few tries, regardless of method used.
I had the same thought when watching the episode. I think their conclusions lined up pretty well with more rigorous academic research though, didn't they?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Don't forget that the Japanese carriers tend to have 2 to 4 times the staff at the gates.

That's not an insignificant factor in the boarding efficiency.
There were 3 GAs at the gate, and they had nothing to do with the boarding process.

Messages were pre-recorded, and TVs were showing eligibility.

There was a GA on each side of the counter, just bowing every time a pass would flash green, or helping out if someone had trouble flashing the BP.

The third was there a bit before boarding, by herself (im assuming managing the pax list), and on boarding time she was holding your dreaded laminated sign lol.

Also, simple game theory would show that with proper order/communication, you can reach a more optimal equilibrium

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 25, 2015 at 3:49 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Also, simple game theory would show that with proper order/communication, you can reach a more optimal equilibrium

Brilliant.

We should put that on a sign and wave it around YYZ.......

Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SEMM

Precision and order - that's what we need. Thank you Mr. George Banks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRtPrd7l4Tg
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
I just did OLCI for my flight to FLL tomorrow with the whole gang

AE reward. Like with bags, the system doesn't know or read your status, so we all received Zone 5s
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I also did an online check in for an AE reward ticket to BNA last night and got Zone 1 but Mrs. Allbrosca who is on the same PNR got zone 3 (and SSSS!!)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I also did an online check in for an AE reward ticket to BNA last night and got Zone 1 but Mrs. Allbrosca who is on the same PNR got zone 3 (and SSSS!!)
Were you able to OLCI with the Quad-S's? In the past, when I've gotten it, I could not complete OLCI.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Were you able to OLCI with the Quad-S's? In the past, when I've gotten it, I could not complete OLCI.
Ditto. I was ssss'd once from YYZ to SEA. Could not OLCI, and had to get my BP from the agent.

Not sure why though? Couldn't they put in SSSS on the mobile BP? Maybe it's because it's less obvious? I dunno
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Ditto. I was ssss'd once from YYZ to SEA. Could not OLCI, and had to get my BP from the agent.

Not sure why though? Couldn't they put in SSSS on the mobile BP? Maybe it's because it's less obvious? I dunno
I'm pretty sure they want to keep the SSSS as a surprise. Giving someone advanced warning would probably defeat the purpose.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I'm pretty sure they want to keep the SSSS as a surprise. Giving someone advanced warning would probably defeat the purpose.
Then wouldn't the inability to OLCI give it away? It took not more than 30 seconds to figure out that I was going to be SSSS'd. Sure enough, FT was right once I got my BP at YYZ
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:33 am

Then wouldn't the inability to OLCI give it away? It took not more than 30 seconds to figure out that I was going to be SSSS'd. Sure enough, FT was right once I got my BP at YYZ
There is more than one reason to not be able to OLCI, although that is the most common. For the frequent flyer its no big deal, but since most transborder FFers have Nexus or cross frequently, there is probably already a file on them, so no big deal if they know in advance.

The others...not so much.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
There is more than one reason to not be able to OLCI, although that is the most common. For the frequent flyer its no big deal, but since most transborder FFers have Nexus or cross frequently, there is probably already a file on them, so no big deal if they know in advance.

The others...not so much.
I was under the impression that the check-in agent played a part in the SSSS procedure. I always assumed it was some sort of document check, but it's just speculation.

Of course, one could argue that the document check can be done at the gate, but I digress.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.